Chapter 21

Joven

I start pulling scrolls and books off the shelf, and James walks over and sits in a chair next to the desk.

"We've wondered so many years what happened to y'all?" he says while drawing on the wooden surface with his finger. "We thought y'all might be here a hundred years ago, but just recently we had come to believe we would never know. My great grandpa would be so excited to be sitting here right now. Now how can I help you? We only have till sunrise and then not again for another week."

Wait... what????

"I have just this night, why not tomorrow?" I ask, already feeling the pressure to get all my history correct in just 9 hours or so.

"Ice storm coming in, it completely freezes the pier, and stays frozen for at least a week. You're welcome to come and meet my family."

"I'm sorry, but my wife is pregnant, and I need to return to her and Dewstone as soon as possible," I explain.

"I understand, now what do you need to know? Or better yet, what did you break? Because you are looking rather frantic right about now."

"Well, to make a long story, not quite so long... I'll try...." I go on to explain to him that our ancient tablets had broken, and we had no scrolls left behind and only a partial understanding of our history. Then, I explain the rivers shifting and the Mist disappearing, which is the reason I am here in Michigan. I leave out that it took me six days to understand the poem, no reason to let the man know I'm not a smart as I pretend to be.

"Well, now we know which books to look for..." and he starts pulling out books and certain scrolls, "I can tell you some of the history, but let's see what's written first."

We both study long into the night and I write furiously trying to get everything written down. Already I have seen some things that are different, but I still need the whole picture, before I can make an informed decision.

Finally, James taps me on the shoulder and sadly shakes his head.

"Time to go son, let's take your written notes to my house, turn on some coffee and put it all in order, how does that sound?"

"That sounds wonderful, thank you." We both grab all my notes, replace the books and scrolls, I snap a few shots with my cell phone and even one of James. We walk out the door, and he locks the door behind us, and we begin the walk up the stone steps. Stepping out into the morning sun, it feels like a fresh new beginning is within our grasp, if I'm willing to do what must be done...... and If I do, where does that leave Pann and our twins...