Chapter 24

Pann

Hanging up with Joven, maybe he remembered something to me after reciting the poem? Chilling with Hannah has been nice, but I'm ready to see my husband again.

The days have passed quickly. I've gotten caught up on some of my book reading, drawing anime', visiting with Jean, while Hannah has gotten me quite spoiled. Tomorrow is New Year's Day, so Hannah and I have planned a luncheon and invited Joven's parents.

Shortly after midnight, we were awakened by a banging on the front door below. We both came out of our rooms and hustled down the stairs. Both of us in our gowns and robes, we just stare at the door, not knowing what to do....

Knock! Knock!

Frozen, petrified on who could be wanting us in the middle of the night. We both left our phones upstairs, and Hannah and I begin whispering to each other.

"Pann, I'm going to get my phone" Hannah says as she turns to go back to the stairs and then reminds me, "DO NOT open the door, promise me?" I nod my head that I heard her and she heads to her bedroom.

Pressing my ear to the door, I jump and scream, with the knocking turns into frantic banging.

"Help! Somebody please help me; I've wrecked my car and my baby is freezing!" a baby is cold? That's horrible!

I quickly start punching in the code into the panel on the door, and hit "enter", as I hear Hannah from the top of the stairs scream, "NOOOOO!!!!"

Totally not prepared, I'm thrust backwards as the door bust open and two very disgusting, covered in filth man and woman rush into the room, slamming the door behind them.

The man quickly grabs my arm and pushes me down to the couch, while the woman advances on Hannah. There is a struggle at the top of the stairs, and then I see Hannah's phone come flying over the banister and crack on the kitchen floor. Five minutes later, both Hannah and the woman come down the stairs. I can see marks already appearing on Hannah's arms and face, she must've put up a much bigger fight than I did.

The man holding me in place with a dirty knife, occasionally looks around the room and then jerks his hand towards me in a threatening way. Keeping one hand on my stomach, praying to keep my baby safe, is all I can think about. Why didn't I listen? Why do I think everyone tells the truth? I know the world has a variety of people, and not all of them have a moral compass that faces north. Now, I've got Hannah and I into quite a mess.

The girl pushes Hannah down next to me, and we grab each other's arms. The two intruders start conversing with each other, and Hannah whispers to me.

"I couldn't get a phone call to go out in time, I'm sorry," she's sorry? This is all my fault; all I can do is shake my head and snuggle closer. Hoping two people will be stronger together, than apart.

"Listen, we need that ring, where is it?", when the female speaks, I lean in closer, she sounds very familiar.

"Hattie, is that you?" I ask, looking at her haggard appearance and the smell of rotting food floating on the air in my direction, making my stomach start to roll.

"Yes, now give us the ring, where is it?" she yells, while I can now assume is Billy, takes his knife and steps closer.

The smell is overwhelming, and I feel our late dinner on its one-way trip north. I grasp Hannah's hand, and she looks at my face and just shakes her head, like she wants me to hold it inside. Inside? My baby shoots food out of me at the speed of light!

"She's going to throw up!" Hannah screams

"She's just faking it," says Hattie and she too steps closer to me. Faking it? She's fixing to see my baby have the biggest, nastiest temper tantrum from my womb. I move my hands to cover my mouth, knowing my unborn child has zero patience.