Chapter 28

Pann

Looking at the clock, thinking for a moment it's a weird place to have one, I realize it's going on 4pm, waking from a nap back on the couch. My stomach grumbles and I look over at Hattie, who is sound asleep. ASLEEP!

I slowly rise off the couch and start tiptoeing to the cave entrance. Then stop, remembering how dark it is, I would run the risk of falling again, maybe hurting my baby. So, I turn and begin making my way to the locked door that leads to the back of the furniture store. I wonder why no one checked this door earlier? When I try and open it, I get my answer, furniture is piled in front of the door. Great!

Looks like it's the dark, creepy tunnel for me.... I walk back across the room, and finally notice her knife has slipped from her fingers. Gently I reach over and slide the knife off the bed and into my hand. What to do?? Looking around, my eyes fall back on the dirty couch that is next to the bed. I go over and place the knife under the couch cushion, and then make my way to the tunnel.

"Where do you think you're going" Hattie's scratchy voice, comes from behind.

"I just need to use the restroom," I lie, well actually, now that I'm thinking about it, I really need do need to use the bathroom.

"We just use the bottles over there and then throw them away," she points to empty water bottles in the corner.

"Umm.... Hello? I'm a GIRL, that won't work" I tell her, still hoping she doesn't realize her knife is missing.

"Girls can do it, too, it's just messier," wow! That explains a lot of the smells, that are emanating from her.

"No." I argue back, "there's no way," hoping she will take the bait.

"Sure, I'll show you how easy it is." Hattie walks over, grabs a water bottle and goes to a corner, "turn your head for a moment, don't want you seeing anything."

Oh, I have NO problem with that command, there is absolutely nothing I want to see on Hattie. I hear the zip and slide of the jeans going down her legs, and like the gun to start of a race.... I'm OFF!

Plunging into the darkness, I keep both hands on the side walls and start making my way up the old tunnel. Only then thinking could a cave-in actually happen....