Chapter 18

Joven

As I was repeating the poem to Pann, I realized my fatal mistake. How could I be slow-witted, it means at NIGHT! I've been looking during the daytime.

Making it to the catwalk, I keep pulling my coat closer around me. I'll never call West Virginia cold again. Walking around the lighthouse, it's dusk and the light is fading. Soon, the lighthouse will be shining for all to see.

"Sir, I'm sorry, but it's too late. You will have to come back tomorrow," an elderly man says.

I look him over, he's slightly hunched, probably around 70 years old and reminds me a lot of Charles.

"Please sir, I just need a few moments. I have to see if this light will lead me to my path," I say and keep looking around. Would something more illuminate at night?

The elderly man, stills, and slowly turns. He looks at me going up and down my body. Please do not let this be where I get pushed into the waters, by a man old enough to be my grandfather.

"If I were to say to you, "When two Ancients join, it's good or bad by the flip of a coin," what, sir, would be your reply?"

Thank the MIST! I begin smiling really, REALLY big, probably really scaring my next best friend FOREVER.

"My reply would be, "to fix the wrong and light your path, you will need a map to quelch the wrath, look to the water that lights at night, ships seek their direction to keep the path bright."

Humph!! Two arms encircle me, and I'm embraced with a bear hug, and you know what...it feels Misting great!

"What took you so long son?" the man says as he releases me and looks at me.

"We didn't know about this place, and now we need your help," I reply and hope the man has the answers.

"Well, come quickly, I am tasked with walking the pier every night at dusk, for any who should appear. It is the task that was given to my forefathers and continues to this day. Come, we must hurry."

The elderly man is suddenly quite spritely and I'm hurrying to keep up. He unlocks the door facing the lake and turns on a flashlight.

"My name is James, and it is such a pleasure to meet you," he says as he gestures for me to follow him down the stairs.

"My name is Joven, and I'm from Dewstone," and keep following him down.

"Yes, yes, it was told someday you might come looking. We have everything here, old, but still usable." On stone steps, with damp stone walls I steady myself. Having gone down about thirty feet we stop in front of another wooden door, which he unlocks, "my wife, Emily, and I come down here every couple of weeks, to keep the place clean and ready."

Opening the door, he turns on the light, and I'm in AWE at the sight before me. Scrolls! Written books! Lots of them!!! Misting magnificent! The room is about 500 square feet and has several tables set up with various scrolls in storage cubbies on walls and books in bookshelves. Sporadic lights around the room, help with the dim lighting.

"Now, most of this pertains to other things, but Dewstone history is over here on this wall," and he leads me to the right side with the oldest looking books and scrolls in the room, "you have until dawn, we must stay below, until the sun rises," and he gets his phone out, probably to message his wife.

I send just one text to my wife, "Eureka!", and then I start opening the books to the ancient words that will finally explain our world.