Chapter 3

Joven

Holding Pann close to my chest, I walk past my parents, as I start to leave the city park. Not sure what to say, but as usual, they always know what to say or at least they fake it pretty good.

"So, Son, we get to paint the spare bedroom now," My mom smiles, and pats me on the cheek. I hold Pann and our child a little closer to my body, while still juggling the backpack Heif brought me from my house.

"You knew Dad, didn't you?" I ask my father, and he simply nods in a yes motion. "I had the vision less than a week ago, how about you?"

"Oh, about a week and half ago" I smile, knowing my dad and I share this special bond.

"Well, will someone kindly tell me when my first grandchild will be arriving ", my mother demands.

"July" both dad and I respond at the same time, smiling.

"And do we know boy or girl?" Mom continues with her questions, even though we are all standing in the cold. Looking at dad he shakes his head and looks away. I'm pretty sure he knows the answer, as I do, but we have no control over the physical things our bodies go through. There are no definites in this world, either in UpAbove or below in Dewstone.

"Just paint it neutral for now mom, I say and give her a quick kiss on her cheek. "Now, do you have some place to go? I'm taking Pann to the Safe House assigned to me. Do you all want to come and stay with us?"

"No, Son, I think you and Pann need some time alone. We got an invitation to share another house with Heif's parents, and we invited Michal to join us. I know Bethany and Colton, have Hannah safe and secure with them. A lot of Dewbies are standing around, I think we will do as Heif said and help search for the missing Dewbies, easy to spot in their one-colored clothing, zombie look." Dad finishes, and then takes mom by the hand to hear what Heif is saying before leaving the park to head to the Safe House of choice.

A soft moan brings me back to my precious bundles, incased in my arms, time to get them warmed up.

"Alright Mrs. Ainsworth, let's get you to your new house," knowing I have a couple of blocks to walk; I pace myself and try and take occasional breaks. Pann floats in and out of consciousness and murmurs things like, "good kitty, bad kitty, who wants a snack kitty?" I can't help but smile, my creative wife always has the most colorful, fun filled dreams.

Heif's assigned townhome is past the South exit of the fountain and then just a block or so over on the right. Mine, however, leads off of the North exit of the fountain about one block, up, then turn right and another block to a non-descript tan colored brick townhome. Using the electronic code, Pann and I are quickly inside a heated home and I gently lay her on the couch.

Taking a look around, the house has been decorated with modern pictures with a color scheme of yellow, and different shades of grey. The dining room and kitchen are on the first floor at the rear of the townhome. Upstairs there are two bedrooms and two bathrooms. Pann is quietly snoring, so I get the chance to inventory the kitchen cabinets, and then I head upstairs to make sure the correct elixir is in the bathrooms. Confirming there is enough for the two of us for at least a week or two. Not knowing what happened in the forbidden cave, I'm left with scratching my head on how to go forward. Pacing the master bedroom, I can feel the tension rising in body. The Mist is no longer present, to help guide my path. I still have my Vision, but it may be weakened from the changing of the waters and mist evaporating. My feet stop their constant back and forth motion when I hear a voice from the bottom of the stairs...

"Joven" Pann calls out, "Husband, are you up there?"

Hurrying down the stairs, I'm surprised to see Pann standing at the bottom of the steps. My eyes look down, hoping to see her hands in better condition, but they seem even more swollen, with a red rash and blisters.

"Wife, your hands look worse," I observe.

"They hurt Joven, so bad, should we call Dr. Woolsly? What happened? Where are we?" She starts rambling off a barrage of questions, like shots from a revolver.

"Let's get you taken care of first, we have plenty of time to play twenty questions later. Up the stairs, our bedroom is on the left."

"Really, Joven, I mean really? I enjoy doing the "stuff" as much as you, but I don't think now is the time, do you? You need to learn to think with that round thing on your shoulders, that's holding your hair in place." Pann lectures me, but I smile, taking her by the arm and simply lead her up the stairs.

"I promise what I have in mind will relax you, but yes, you will be out of those clothes." I can't help but laugh manically.

I get her into the bathroom and start the water for an elixir bath, and she watches as I add the oil. Her cheeks turn that delicious color of pink, when she realizes my plans don't include any wild bedroom fantasies.

"Oh, well, bath is okay, too" she smiles then beckons me with a bent finger to come closer, "will you be joining me?"

"I thought you wanted me to think more with this bowling ball shaped thing with ears?" I get a slight tap on my shoulder from my blushing wife, "Actually, we both need to be in the waters, I'm not sure why, but today is not a day to question anything normal or abnormal. So, in you go wife!"

Pann climbs into the bathtub, I, being male, enjoy the view. Can't help it, it's where most male brains go. Soon, I will see her figure fill out and blossom with pregnancy. I'm stripping out of my clothes and joining her with my same goofy smile I've had since Summer Solstice. Sitting behind her, I have her lean back into my chest. Reaching for the nearest sponge I start squeezing the water and cascading our bodies in the elixir oil. Careful with her hands, I keep them completely submerged. No wonder so many Dewbies are made during the two-hour elixir time, a man in our world is easily spoiled. I spend the next two hours holding her, thanking the Mist that she's still with me. The terror of almost losing her, makes me squeeze her a little tighter.

"Are you trying to push the oil into my pores?" Pann asks, while staring at her hands, willing them to show any signs of improvement. My squeeze may be a bit too tight, so I loosen my grip and she breathes easier again.

"No, wife, just cherishing the fact you are in my arms and safe, and I will do everything to keep you that way." The infused oils do their job, and both Pann and I begin to totally relax.... Well, I thought she was relaxing, until she spoke...

"Husband, I often have fantastical dreams, like earlier I dreamed Kitty had come to life. We were playing in the city park, and I was trying to give her a snack, and then she ran away. I woke up before I could find her."

"No worries, wife, I had Heif place kitty in the bag he fetched for me from our house. Kitty is safe, but I hope she's not claustrophobic, because we haven't unpacked her yet." I can't help to tease her, so glad that she's smiling again and more alert.

"Also, in dream, I saw the fountain, and remembered a symbol on it, the same was on the wall of the Forbidden Cave."

"Can you describe it or draw it for me?" I ask.

"Yes, I can do both. It was arrows facing many directions and above it was three different drawings. I would often peer into the water when...." And she stops talking.

"When you would............" prompting her to continue.

"Well, it sounds silly, but you are stuck with me now, so I guess I can tell you. I had an imaginary friend, his name was Calvin, he lived in the fountain. Are you laughing at me?" she tries to turn around.

"No, I just think you're adorable, please continue," and get her back facing forward.

"So, I would talk to Calvin about oh.... Everything! Anyway, I saw that symbol in the fountain, at the bottom, below the water.

"Well, I will check it out, since the fountain is drained during the winter months;" deciding I will tell her about Calvin later.

"Thank you, but the part that I'm most confused about is something that happened right after you swept me into your arms. I was foggy in the brain from whatever Hattie put over my face, but I thought I heard you say I was pregnant?"