Chapter 19

Karmony

New Year's Eve, whoopee! Still stuck at home with my parents, I've been trying to stay busy and NOT thinking of sexy, six-foot tall, black haired, brown eyed men with Purity Rings!

A few days ago, I went with my dad to Dewstone to retrieve more elixir oils. Just seeing the results of my selfishness leaves me saddened by my part in its destruction. With the flowers gone, the Mist absent, our once personal Oasis is void, and shows no sign of life. As I walked around, the paths seem hard, the grass brown and brittle. No mist swirling at my ankles, no friends to greet or smile in passing. The light from the fountain shines, but I see no dancing light from other building reflections. Traveling farther, we get to our house, and pack another suitcase. Everywhere I look, I see desolation. Once, I thought Joven and I would be joined and live here forever blessed by the Ancients. Now, I see the reality of greed and self-conceited pride.

We walk to the Granary for our allotted elixir, and I keep my eyes casted down. Everyone must hate me, the part I played was unforgivable, my banishment should be swift and permanent. I thought only of myself, and never realized how my actions would affect other Dewbies.

"Hello, Mr. Douglas, I have your order right here, just sign this and you can be on the way," that voice! I know that voice, my head shoots up.... My heart skips a beat, it's only been a day or two, but I already miss him. It must be all the elixir oils in my system.

"Thank you Heif," my dad says, while signing his name and putting the elixir into the side satchel he brought for safe transport.

"Hey Heif, how are you?'" I ask quietly, looking for anything that reflects his earlier vow of love.

"Good, and you Ms. Douglas?" Oh, so I'm to be Ms. Douglas, am I? Well, I can't really blame the guy. But I wasn't Ms. Douglas when he was sitting on me in his bathtub. Which does cause a blush to stain my cheeks, so I turn so neither dad nor Heif can see my face.

I killed our home, our civilization, over an infatuation with his best friend, tricked and abused a friendship with his best friend's wife, mistreated countless people without regard for their feelings, and kicked, bit, slapped, and punched him several times. I think he should've just stuck with "Ms. Dictator."

"Have a good day." I hear my dad say, and he takes me by the arm to lead me away. We only make it about twenty feet, when I stop walking.

"Just a moment dad," and I turn and walk back to Heif, looking straight into those brown eyes that remind me of my favorite chocolate. "Thank you, Heif, for helping me find my way back, you're a good friend." He smiles at my words, then gives me a wink. I float on a cloud back to my dad.

"What was all that about?" Dad asks, when we were far away, "Do you really think Heif is a good choice for you?"

"No Dad, he isn't, because I don't deserve him," I say sadly. "But he would be a good friend." Dad nods his head, and we head back through Central Control and back up to UpAbove.

Fast forwarding a few more days and it's New Year's Eve. I've not heard from Hattie or Heif. Not being able to stand the idle life a day longer, I walk downstairs to see my parents sitting in the living room watching the local news.

"Anything on?" I ask.

"No, unfortunately there have been multiple siting's of two individuals, fitting the description of Hattie and Billy who have been stealing food and terrorizing Burlap citizens." Dad says, and nothing more needs to be voiced. We may not be able to find them, but they are still around and wreaking havoc.

"I'm heading out to the homeless shelter; they are supplying warm food and blankets for the homeless. It's supposed to be bitter cold tonight," both parents turn in slow motion and just look like they've never seen me before." So... anyway..." I look back at them in awkward silence, then continue on, "I'll be back in a few hours, but if it takes longer, I'll let you know I'll be late," and lean forward kissing them both on the cheek, grabbing my jacket and walking out the front door.

I walk a few blocks down and turn to the left, where the local homeless shelter is, and walk inside. Seeing plenty of people bundled up and needing help, I try and find someone in charge.

"Hello, can I help you?" I turn and look down at a woman, somewhere in her late 30's, and seems to have some premature graying.

"Yes, I'd like to help. Do you need help?" Then something triggers in my memory that Joven said the day he met Pann, "is this the shelter Pann Charity used to work at?"

The lady, with the name tag stating "Laurie", smiles and says, "yes, are you a friend?" oh well.... That's kind of a tricky question.

"Umm...I've known her a long time, and everyone speaks of her goodness. I thought I would help, if you need me," what follows is a long, day of cooking, cleaning and assisting. I'm exhausted just standing on my feet. As a dental hygienist, I'm more accustomed to sitting all day and looking in people's mouths. Heif has a great smile.... Where did that thought come from? Ugh!

Already having called my dad earlier, that I was working late, I finally grab my coat and prepare to leave. Dad was worried for my safety, with Hattie and Billy still missing, and said he would send someone for me. Waving good-bye to my new friends and promising to return next weekend I turn to go home.

Heif... Heif is all I see.... Given his football linebacker size, he takes up most of the doorway. Well, it seems I have an escort home after all...