ᴛᴡᴏ: ꜱᴛᴇꜰᴀɴ

Loud conversations, uproarious laughter, and constant noise were typical in the Protectors' headquarters

Loud conversations, uproarious laughter, and constant noise were typical in the Protectors' headquarters. Stefan didn't expect less when he created the group, especially considering that the majority of the members were in their twenties.

During the last five months, he gathered an impressive amount of people willing to learn to control their powers and use them to protect the inhabitants of Umbra.

In the beginning, Stefan's goal hadn't been to form a resistance. He focused on teaching others about control, to avoid chaos. After some time, his first students brought in more people, and they had decided it would be best for the villagers to form a resistance against the demon army.

As a former marine, Stefan had enough experience to be a leader to the ones who wanted to fight for their home. It was a hard decision to make but with the support of his old friend and his wife he accepted the responsibility.

Everyone inside the group had a job to do, when someone joins the Protectors they know they'll have to compromise. That doesn't mean people had to join to learn how to use their powers, it was possible to learn control and decide to not be a part of them. The resistance was based on freedom and mutual respect.

The concept of the Protectors sounded amazing and it was true that all the members considered one another as family, even with their differences, but it also had its cruel side. Demons were vicious creatures, prepared to torture human beings, they were more than ready to add another soul to their collection. It takes time, effort, and sacrifice to be part of the group, and unfortunately, they knew that joining meant putting their lives in constant danger.

As he did every afternoon, Stefan was doing his daily round on the headquarters to check that everything was running smoothly. It was a task he enjoyed as it allowed him to talk with the members.

He chose to visit the training. That day Gellert was in charge after finishing his firefighter duty. The headquarters had a special room that all the members could use to train. The large space consisted of two separated areas. To the left was the gym equipment and to the right the fighting arena.

The leader approached his friend watching the sparring that took place at the moment.

"I can see they're doing better," Stefan commented with pride.

"They're trying very hard," answered Gellert without taking his blue eyes away from his students. "Momotaro made them train their physical strength. Now the poor children can't even hear the word boxing without trembling."

"I'm glad I put him in charge then," commented the leader. "Momotaro knows it's tough out there and these kids tend to think they can overpower a demon in their first watch."

Stefan learned the hard way that it is better to be tougher with the recruits, than to lose one for not being ready enough.

As Gellert was about to speak an intense pain spread through Stefan's right arm. Not a good sign, it meant that a member was in trouble.