ᴛᴡᴇɴᴛʏ ꜰᴏᴜʀ: ᴍᴏᴍᴏᴛᴀʀᴏ

T

T

he demons began to move their pieces in the game, Momotaro was sure of it.

For the past six months, almost seven, they had been experiencing isolated attacks. The only form of a pattern he could identify was the recent ambushes at their surveillance post, and he considered those as a preparation for whatever is about to come next.

"I'm worried about Stefan," confessed Lorcan.

Both young men sat on a bench at Umbra's University gardens, waiting for Bertram. The spring sun hit them with its harsh rays, the lack of trees made it impossible to find shelter.

The youngest of the group had an exam programmed for that afternoon and he couldn't skip it, so when the leader assigned them their mission Bertram begged them to accompany him.

Momotaro and Lorcan couldn't say no to their teammate. While asking the favor he looked vulnerable, his posture remained hunched as he kept balancing his body from one foot to another. The eye contact never occurred, and his words were delivered by a whisper. You'd have to be heartless to deny an anxious first-year student the opportunity to take his test.

"I'm worried about all of us," retorted Momo. "Something tells me that the demons are just starting, and they're using humans as his pawns. I feel like we can't trust no one."

"You always feel that way, but I'm with you this time. It's getting me crazy, to think that the people I call my family could be traitors. Why would they do it?"

"You should ask them when we find them. In a few days, you'll know."

"Dude, when you say things like that I'm glad that you're on my side," commented Lorcan as his eyes shined with playfulness. "I'll let you do the talking, I don't think I could face them."

"Don't worry, I have no problem with facing them myself," the tattooed boy said. Sick of the topic that had been haunting him for weeks, he asked a question as a distraction. "Didn't you have any exams?"

"I had one yesterday but I didn't show up. It's tough to balance the Protectors and the uni."

"Isn't this your last year? Ask for a day off when you have an exam. I'll kick your ass if you drop your career for the Protectors. Stop thinking about others and be selfish for once."

Lorcan started playing with the sleeves of his hoodie.

"It's not that," he murmured. "I'm terrified of not being good enough. What if I'm bad at teaching? At least when I'm with the Protectors I feel useful."

"I've seen you help the new kids with training, you're better at explaining things than me. I don't know much about teaching but I can see that you're good at it. And if you don't feel that's what you want then try something else. Either way, you'll have my support. "