Chapter One

Gianna's eyes scanned the pages quickly but she carefully took in each word that was written. Following along with the author as he read the excerpt aloud, her nose was deep into the pages while the other women gushed and batted their eyelashes at him. They watched as his lips moved, speaking every word with intention in his deep and rough but equally as smooth voice.

"I love you, he confessed. No one else but you." The room was silent as everyone that filled the large venue was captivated by this man and the words that so effortlessly flowed off of his tongue. "Tears were on the brim of Sade's eyes as she-" He came to stop due to a ringing cell phone.

Gianna was still engulfed in the story as she read along to the voice in her head. Failing to realize that the ringing was coming from inside of her bag. All eyes were now on her.

"Cell phones off please." She heard his voice again and her trance was broken as she searched the page for those words. Gianna finally raised her head once she realized that he wasn't reading anymore.

"Girl, your phone." The woman sitting in the seat in front of her let her know. Gianna's eyes went wide and embarrassment washed over her as she frantically dug inside of her purse to shut her phone off. It felt like time was in slow motion until she finally found her phone among the miscellaneous items that were in her "protect black people" large tote bag.

"Sorry." She mumbled seeing all of the strangers staring at her. Gianna looked up to the podium where the author stood and the two briefly locked eyes. It didn't last any longer than it started since he immediately continued to read the contents of the excerpt. The remaining paragraphs were read and it was now time for the meet and greet. Gianna quickly got up to try and get a good spot in the long ass line that was forming. She was still earning stares from multiple women.

Gianna's ticket to this reading was gifted to her by her parents for her birthday. Miles Delgado was her absolute favorite author and he was on tour promoting his latest release, "Pray You Catch Me". The book intertwined crime, mafia, and romance together and she was definitely enjoying the read. Being a writer herself, Gianna was inspired by Miles's style and delivery.

Slightly stepping to side, she saw there was at least 10 people in front of her in line and she knew that she'd be waiting for a good thirty minutes. She dug into her brown bag to get her cell phone to see who was the cause of her getting embarrassed. And to no surprise, it was her mother. Gianna pressed the notification to return the call.

"Gigi! How was the reading?" Her mother, Brandy, picked up.

"It was good but I'm lucky I didn't get kicked out from you calling me. Oh my gosh mama it was so embarrassing. Everybody was staring at me. Even Miles Delgado." Gianna began to get the feeling all over again.

Brandy's laughter on the other line caused her to smack her teeth. But she eventually started to laugh as well. "It's not funny."

"Oh I'm sorry baby but it really is." Brandy continued to laugh almost in tears. She knew how awkward her daughter could be so to imagine her in that situation was pure comedy to her. "It's yo daddy's fault. He kept asking me to call you like he don't got his own damn phone. Are you leaving now?"

"No. I'm about to meet him." She smiled at the thought. Gianna had been a fan of his work since her freshman year of high school and she was now a junior in college. "I'm kinda nervous." She revealed while moving with the line. It would be her turn soon, two people were in front of her.

"Be calm and don't overthink it. You gone be alright girl." She responded, sounding more like Gianna's friend than her mom. It was just the type of relationship Brandy had with all of her daughters.