Chapter Twenty One

"I have two important things to say." Miles stood before his desk as he grabbed the students' attention. "I know you all have a year left in the program but unfortunately I will not be here as planned."

"Somebody's been playing with his money." Brooke thought aloud, making both him and Gianna laugh since they were the only ones who heard her.

"No, I just have a new venture that requires me to move out of state. You all can save your tears." His sarcasm made the class laugh but Gianna raised one of her eyebrows as the two made eye contact. "Or not."

Gianna rolled her eyes, then one of her classmates asked him a question. "What's the second thing?"

"The board is paying for you all to fly out to LA and attend a writer's convention where I'll be saying a few words. It's in April but I wanted to give you guys a heads up."

"Ouuu! Girls trip!" Brooke nudged Gianna's shoulder, making a smile find its way to her annoyed face.

The mentioning of a girl's trip was bewildering to Miles since he planned on the two of them spending the days, doing them. He didn't want to ponder over it for too long, so he had the class wrap up their side conversations and focus on the tasks at hand.

And once class was over, Gianna stayed behind for a minute, as usual, to discuss class work or her grades or literary guidance as she'd tell Brooke anytime she'd ask.

"Why do I have to wait to come here to see you? I don't like that."

"I've just been caught up in stuff. I was going to call you later." Gianna partially lied as she looked at him. She was back at work and school after the break, so her time was preoccupied, but she'd chosen to spend her free time alone.

"Don't worry about it. I'll come and get you." He'd missed her presence; used to seeing, touching, smelling, and touching Gianna had become something he didn't want to go a day without. So seeing her only for the past two days in class was not cutting it for him at all.

"You know I would but I have to go see my parents since they got back last night."

"Just come afterward."

"Miles I said I can't okay?" Gianna sighed before looking at the door and then back at him. "Brooke's waiting on me so I have to go. I'll call you." She didn't give him a chance to respond before walking out.

"Everything alright?" Brooke asked, seeing her expression. Gianna nodded unconvincingly but Brooke wasn't going to push her on it. At least not yet.

"My friend is gonna meet us there, is that okay?" Gianna alternated her gaze between the hallway and her text thread.

"Is this a friend or a friend friend?" She said in her usual animated tone making Gianna laugh.

"He's a regular friend. I just have to get something from him and then he'll go."

"Okay, that's cool with me." She replied as she and Gianna got into her car and drove to the small bohemian cafe Brooke chose for brunch.

The two sat at a table towards the back, under the hanging lights and leafy plants. They'd ordered two lattes specifically for the designs they made with microfoam until they were ready to get some food.

Their random discourse about Gabriella being the true villain in High School Musical was interrupted by Leo's presence. "Special delivery." He held her pink and red makeup bag which she found a different purpose for.

"Where's your manners? Speak to my friend." Gianna looked up at him.

"Hi, friend." Leo said simply while briefly taking in her features.