Chapter Twenty Nine

She felt as gray as the gloomy sky was.

Her mind mirrored the assemblage of the dark clouds, her eyes holding her tears hostage like they did the rain. The glum weather did nothing but make her sadness linger, yet she did nothing to get rid of it.

Over the last few days, she repeatedly found herself outside under the depressing dimness. Music had been her only form of company, but that had become too much. She couldn't handle it.

She couldn't handle the soreness in her chest, either. Miles' insensitivity had hurt her feelings to the max, but it wasn't just about the pregnancy test situation for her.

She'd told him before how it felt like her relationships took a turn for the worse when made official, but his promises of how it would be different led her to choose her heart over fear. Miles staying true to his words had her holding him up to a different standard, and now that he'd stepped down from that pedestal, it felt like the marble collapsed on top of her.

The fact that she still loved him, despite it all, is what hurt the most. Her heart was truly her biggest enemy.

But that wasn't enough for her anymore. She couldn't keep putting her heart in the streets only for it to be rolled over by the guy who she'd given it to's car.

She had to put herself first.

A moment that felt like she'd been waiting eons for was right in her palms, yet she felt numb to it. She couldn't even enjoy her win because it felt pointless when she couldn't celebrate with the one person she wanted to.

She hated how she didn't have the energy to bask in what was one of the most critical moments career, but it only fueled her newfound realization:

She had to put herself first.

Her hands lightly trembled, making her keys jingle a little as she tried to fit it into its home perfectly.

Once she finally got it to cooperate, she walked into the glassy white foyer. The lights were off but she could smell the brown sugar-slathered sweet potatoes and the grease of fried chicken, which she'd always asked for hers to be fried extra hard—all savory and sweet scents of her childhood, growing up in the south, especially at her grandmother's house.

Her keys rattled loudly as they collided with the copper dish, but it wasn't as loud as her family's voices that they collectively threw at her.

"Surprise!" Karter's squeaky voice stood out the most as she launched from the little crowd. Gianna recognized her parents, sisters, Leo, and Brooke as they gathered together after jumping out from their hiding spots.

"What is all this?" Gianna asked, her mood brightening up a little and a smile crept its way up as her niece quickly ran to hug her.

"Just a little something to celebrate your win!" Brandy clapped her hands excitedly, a smile gleaming as her cheeks sank in. "We're all so proud of you." She hugged Gianna's top half while Karter held on tightly to the bottom since that was as far as she could reach.

"Thank you guys." Leftover tears made their way down her face juxtaposing with the smile on her perked-up cheeks.

"You don't have to cry, Gigi." Brandy's scarlet-painted fingers wiped her face dry and as she analyzed her, it seemed like those tears weren't happy ones. "Everything's okay?" Her voice went soft and low.

"I'm alright." Gianna attempted to assure her before walking away hand in hand with Karter, but for once, Brandy could see through her lie. Gianna went on to hug her dad, sisters, and her friends who felt like her bonus siblings.

"Please don't mistake my cordiality for forgiveness." She said as soon as she made her way to Leo. He didn't mind her words, only opened his arms and wrapped them around her. Even though her words didn't show it and she was currently upset at him, she needed that hug from him.