Chapter Nineteen

Brooke used Got2b Freeze Spray on Gianna's hair then followed it with her brush to make it as slick as possible. Gianna had always done her own hair before, but now she was spoiled and became lazy when it came to doing it since Brooke was one call away.

She was doing a simple braided ponytail and the quick style was taking almost two hours to be completed from the friends talking so much.

"It was like 2 am and he changed my grade without even seeing my redo. My overall grade is back to a B and Gianna, I'm so glad because I can't handle being on academic probation right now."  She sighed, feeling the relief all over again.

Gianna knew how much Brooke had on her plate. She was solely going to school and working to make sure she made enough money to take care of herself and send to her family back in Houston while also getting the education she desired.

"Me too B. He must've realized that he didn't explain it fully." Miles did admit that their lack of understanding was his fault, but the rapidness of her grade change was all from Gianna's persuasion. "How's your grandma doing?"

Brooke sighed as she dipped the toothbrush in Gianna's favorite edge control. "She's getting worse. The doctor says that she won't make it to the new year."

"Aww, I'm so sorry friend." Gianna turned around to look at her sad eyes.

"It's okay. People die, it's life. And she'll be in a better place. I just wish I could make it there faster, you know?" Brooke began to distract herself by making the swoops of Gianna's edges perfect instead of crying for the umpteenth time.

"What's your email?" Gianna asked once she'd finally finished.

"Why?"

"Because I bought you a ticket to Houston." Gianna squinted her eyes trying to read the small text on her phone. "And you leave in five hours."

"What? No you didn't." Brooke grabbed her phone and began to read what was on the screen. "Oh my God, yes you did!" Her voice cracked as her eyes began to water.

"I did and you have no choice but to accept it because it's an early Christmas gift. And it's nonrefundable."

"Thank you, Gianna." Brooke tightly hugged her as she blinked away tears. She was always the one to take care of others and be generous, so it felt surreal to get that in return.

"You're welcome." Gianna squeezed her back. "I'm about to be late and you have to pack so I'll see you next year?"

Brooke pulled away from her and wiped the wetness from her eye. "Yes we will and thank you again. Love you G."

"Love you too B." Gianna waved at her one last time before leaving out of her door. She quickly made her way to her car to go home and grab her things to be ready when Leo made his way to pick her up.

_____________________

Gianna leaned in front of the floor length mirror placing rhinestones along her neat baby hairs and eyelids on top of the brown eyeshadow. She was able to hum to her own beat, tuning out the loudness from the little kids and their mothers that filled one of the theater's large dressing rooms. She had gotten ready with the other teachers beforehand and decided to help the backstage moms.

Karter ran up to her side with her black and speckled gold performance outfit on. "You look pretty Gigianna!" She smiled while touching the soft lavender fabric of Gianna's ballerina skirt.

"Not as pretty as you." Her lips curved into a smile as she leaned down to Karter's level. She opened her tube of lipgloss and began to smear it on Karter's lips. This wasn't a one time thing, so Karter knew to rub her lips together once she was done, just like Gianna had taught her to.