Chapter Sixteen

Days passed and as much as Gianna tried to convince herself she didn't care, she failed. She found herself calling and texting Miles after Brooke told her the information and he had yet to call or text her back. She planned to confront him the next day after class, but he'd canceled it that morning.

Gianna figured that somehow he knew that she wasn't in the dark anymore and was finding ways to avoid her. Even with the minor inconveniences, Gianna was still waiting to bring it up the next time they saw each other.

As she walked into the classroom, the only thing heard was the blasting heater and the gentle patter of rain against the large windows.

She was hoping to be the first person there, but she saw two of her classmates sitting in their seats.

Miles sat at his desk, wholly hooked to his computer screen, looking as if he was on his own planet. She looked behind him and saw his angular penmanship on the whiteboard as it read:

Quick exam on Blackboard. Silence or an F. Don't be stupid and try to cheat. You're dismissed after you finish. No office hours today. Good luck.

By his clear and blunt instructions, it was obvious that he wasn't trying to be bothered, just wanted to get the day over with. His eyes were glued to his laptop screen as he searched for labs in the area that did DNA tests. Up until now he never had any doubt Chace was his son, but now he didn't know anything when it came to Kennedy.

Gianna sat down and got started on her exam. It was pretty easy overall, so it didn't take the students any time to finish. While all the students hurried out, happy they didn't have to stay the full two hours, Gianna remained seated as she waited for the last student to leave.

"You just gonna act like you don't see me here and ignore me in person too?" She asked with her arms folded on the table in front of her. "We need to talk."

Miles didn't even look up at her, just focused on his computer. "Gianna I don't have time for this right now."

"Well Miles you need to make time to explain to me why I had to learn from somebody else that you borderline lied to me about who that woman was and didn't tell me that you have kids with her. Or at all for that matter."

Miles ran his hands down his face. He didn't know how Gianna found all of this out, but he didn't have the energy to talk about this. He wasn't responding back to her and that was one way to push Gianna's buttons. "Are you deaf?" She rhetorically asked him. Her frustration was starting to get the best of her and she had to remind herself, where they were and to keep it leveled.

"You pissing me off." He said while continuing to type on the computer.

"How? I didn't lie to your face or ignore you for days Miles. And now that I'm asking you about it, you're acting like you're mute or something." She crossed her arms, causing the material of her windbreaker to make a squishing sound as it rubbed against itself.

Miles still wasn't paying enough attention, so Gianna stood up and shut the laptop, forcing him to give her the attention she deserved. "I told you me and her wasn't together Gianna." Miles finally met her eyes, visibly annoyed as well.

"But you said that as if you no longer had any ties to her. Leaving important information out is still lying."

"I don't have time for this childish shit you're on Gianna. There's more important things happening in my life right now that I need to be worried about." He said while closing his computer and stuffing it in his briefcase. Miles pushed his chair in as he stood up, ready to leave and for this conversation to be over.

"Oh, so now this just some childish shit?" She scowled at him while her foot tapped against the floor.

"Yeah bringing this shit up to me during work hours. You know where my office is we could have spoke about this there."