Chapter Nine

A sudden heatwave was passing over Seattle and it showed in people's attire. Gianna was one of the many who couldn't wait to break out a summer outfit.

She wore a cropped vintage graphic tee she'd thrifted with a low-rise jean skirt. Sage green platform split toes were on her feet, showcasing her perfect french tip pedicure and gold anklets. After a late night impulse decision, she and Brooke took out her grown out braids and swapped them for a silk press.

Gianna got a touch up on her honey brown highlights and it was loosely curled, just to her liking. She quickly reaped the benefits of having a hair stylist as a friend.

As she walked into class, everyone was engulfed in their own conversation as they waited for class to start. She sat her things on the table, grabbing Brooke's attention.

"Hey sexy! The outfit is giving y2k off duty supermodel." Brooke said enthusiastically as Gianna took her seat next to her. "I really love your hair, I'm jealous." Brooke ran her fingers through it and kept flipping curls to look nothing less than perfect.

"Alright B!" Gianna laughed as swatted Brooke's hand away.

"What you doing today to be all dressed up? Did Jared finally call?" Brooke asked as they both got their laptops out, getting ready for class.

"Girl nothing, I gotta work. And no. I just accepted the fact that it's not happening." She had no other choice but to accept it, honestly. "Plus, I'm going to try and take Raven's advice."

Brooke nodded her head, not fully believing her. If Jared called Gianna right that moment, she knew she'd fold like a lawn chair.

"Goodmorning class." Miles walked into the classroom for the first time in days. Everyone spoke back to him and got quiet to hear whatever he had to say.

"I'm glad my man back. I missed him." Brooke whispered to Gianna making her chuckle lightly. This was Gianna's first seeing Miles since he so rudely interrupted her date a week ago. 

"Please excuse my absences. I had a family emergency to deal with." He briefly explained while taking a seat in his leather rolling chair. "I'll give you some time to finish up before I make my rounds." A low but audible sigh of relief was heard before the chatter resumed. Like everyone else, Brooke and Gianna engaged in casual conversation about the most random things.

On the other hand, Miles sat at his desk, slightly stressed. He'd just touched down from Oakland. His short trip down was to celebrate his son's 9th birthday. He did that, but Miles wasn't expecting to be badgered by his manager for a new book idea.

His latest work still had some buzz, but his manager wanted something new now to keep the hype afloat. Lance, his manager, suggested another romance since his audience was now majorly women. But he had nothing. A couple of ideas were roaming around in his head but nothing stuck. The lack of inspiration was also getting him, mixed with a twang of writer's block. He needed a muse.

Miles' laptop had been on Microsoft Word for the past fifteen minutes and it was blank as if he'd just created the document. Suddenly, he felt how his students did coming into his classroom. The computer wasn't working for him, so he went for the old fashioned pen and paper. Only to find out he didn't have any.

He was thinking that maybe he should've bought more than that six pack of pens.

"Anybody got some loose leaf?" He asked loud enough for everyone in the room to hear. They all looked through their bags, but it was seeming like no one had any. Gianna knew she had some since she was toting her backpack around today. Since everyone else was coming up empty handed, she took the liberty of grabbing a couple of sheets for him.