Chapter Five

"If I find as much as a dollop of mayonnaise on here, I'm coming for you. You hear me?" Gianna eyed the teenage boy behind the counter. It was going on 1 a.m. and she was at one of the restaurants that got most of her money. Insomnia Burger. 

The boy was unfazed by her attempted crazy act. He didn't get paid enough to entertain it. "Nine forty five." He repeated the price to her.

She squinted her eyes at him before going into her wallet and pulling out a ten dollar bill.

The boy whose name tag read Alex shook his head as he took the hundred dollar bill from her hand. On top of her lack of sleep, she was high as a kite.

Alex gave her the correct amount of change along with her receipt and she didn't understand why she had so much money left, she figured it was Alex's fault.

"Ninety dollars?" She questioned as she walked back to her booth. Yeah. It was definitely Alex's fault.

Waking up her laptop, she was met with the chemistry assignment she'd been staring at for the past hour. Gianna was only good in her English classes and when it came to the other subjects, she did well enough to get a C and that was fine with her.

Switching tabs, the screen now displayed New Moon and she listened to Bella whine in her airpods as she inspected the turkey burger she ordered. She sighed in relief seeing there was no mayonnaise.

The movie had her captivated until she heard the chime from the doorbell. "I just know you lying." She whispered to herself as she saw Miles walk into the damn near empty restaurant. "Why me? What I ever do to you, God?" She asked while looking up at the ceiling.

Gianna found herself looking down at her appearance and she definitely looked less than decent. Her days old wash and go was up in a messy bun and she wore a oversized set of Wright University's sweat suit. The most presentable thing she could show for was her French tip pedicure peeking through her Ugg slides that matched her acrylic nail set.

She threw her hoodie over her head and continued to watch her movie while eating the lukewarm french fries. She grabbed her cup and it was just her luck that there was nomore lemonade left and her straw echoed a loud slurping sound.

"There's no free refills." Alex called out from behind the register while he waited for Miles to get his card out. Gianna didn't respond, only gave him a thumbs up from behind her hood. She was extra embarrassed to know the slurp was as loud as she thought it was.

Miles paid for his late night meal and observed the building. It was his first time coming to Insomnia Burger and liked the idea of it, but he wasn't a night owl so he wouldn't get too much use out of it.

He sat in the booth behind Gianna as he waited for his number to get called. He tapped his fingers on the table to the beat of the elevator music that played through the speakers.

Miles wouldn't have even noticed it was Gianna in front of him if she didn't tilt her head to the side. The small Aquarius constellation tattoo behind her ear let him know that it was her, and now he was conflicted on what to do.

He could either ignore the fact that she was there and wait for his food, or he could approach and speak to her. In a student and professor manner, obviously.

Gianna honestly didn't know what to expect. If Miles noticed her, she would like to think that he would acknowledge her existence, but since he had been acting wishy washy with her, she wouldn't be surprised if he didn't say anything.

Just as he was getting up to say something, Alex called out his number. Since he was already in her direction, he was just going to do a quick 'hello', get his food, and continue out of the door. But of course, nothing ever goes as it's supposed to.