Chapter Thirty Nine

"Good morning birthday girl! How does it feel to be ten and..." Gianna's eyes quickly went to the time and mentally did the math, "three hours?"

"I like it." Karter smiled, "Thank you for my gifts, Gigi. I love them." Gianna could tell she already began to play in the care packages since her cheeks were a blush pink that contrasted against her dark brown skin like a cherry blossom tree. She figured the makeup kits would be her favorite.

"You're so welcome." Gianna matched her grin before softening her eyes when Karter expressed how much she missed her. "We'll be in Seattle really soon and after that, the tour is over and I'll be all yours. Maybe we can convince your mom to let you come spend a week or two with me in Atlanta before you go back to school."

"Ooh yes! That would be so much fun. I would love that." Karter was adorably articulate and enthusiastic. "My daddy's calling me. We're about to go to brunch."

"Okay then, I'll talk to you later. Send me a picture of what you get."

"I will. I love you, Gigi." Gianna pouted at the fact that Karter had grown out of her using her unique nickname and picking up the same one everyone else used.

"I love you too! Remember that you can call me anytime about anything!" She told her niece who smiled and nodded her head. Both of them were grateful to have each other in their lives. They said their final goodbyes, and Gianna carried on with getting herself ready for the long day ahead.

She untied her satin headscarf, revealing a slick ponytail that allowed her luxe ear stack to be a starring component of her outfit. She had a range of diamond studs and cuffs and sterling silver pieces in different piercings that complimented the silver chain halter top she wore.

Today, she and Miles were taking a new approach to the joint interviews they'd been doing throughout the tour. Instead of being inside the convention and doing something live, they were going to a studio and recording a short segment that would go on YouTube.

They weren't due to the production set until an hour after Beyond the Bookshelf began, so they had to spend time working the event until it was time to go.

"Are you nervous about our interview today?" Miles asked Gianna as they sat next to each other. He always snuck into a conversation between visitors.

"No, not really." Gianna was on her phone, looking at the picture Karter sent of her birthday pancakes. She looked up to see his eyes already on her. "Are you nervous?"

"No." He said it unconvincingly making Gianna side-eye him.

"That wasn't believable at all." He laughed with her until they were interrupted by a fan walking up to him.

Gianna couldn't help but observe the interaction from the corner of her eye. It was a woman who'd strutted up to their table with a bright smile.

"Hi, Miles! I really love your work. I've read your books and watched your movie and I can't wait to see the new one." She greeted and showered him with compliments, her voice light and flirty.

"Thank you, I appreciate it." Miles, always gracious with his fans, smiled warmly.

"Can we take a selfie?" She blinked slowly, trying to charm him with her eyes.

"Of course." He got up from his chair and went around to make the picture-taking process easier.

Gianna felt like she had no control over her eyes as they followed him. She watched how the fan brushed her hand over his arm as she leaned close to him. She whispered something to Miles that made him chuckle and Gianna's eyebrows slightly raised.