Chapter Eighteen

2 weeks later

Miles stood in front of the dark wood display cabinet, observing the trinkets inside of it. It held old family photos, copies of all of his books, and his awards varying from little league to Black American Writers.

He heard his mom running her mouth and entered the kitchen to see who she was talking to.

"Sharron my baby is here! Yes, he's standing next to me in the kitchen right now. Miles say hello." Phylicia held the end of the house phone up to Miles so he could speak to her friend. Miles didn't know this woman at all but he talked to her out of respect. Based on her questions, Sharron knew all about him which he knew was from his mom's bragging.

Phylicia and Sharron spoke for a few more minutes until the call was over. She was ecstatic to have Miles back in Oakland and had to let everyone know he was in town since he rarely visited. He'd always fly his parents to LA for important events and holidays. They didn't mind though, they just wanted to see their only child but it was only on his terms.

She was over the stove, making a thanksgiving dinner that was enough to feed their whole neighborhood even though it was just him, her, and his father, Ahmad at home. Their family and friends would pass over and Phylicia would send them home with mountains of homemade soul food.

"How do you like living in Washington? How's your new job?" She asked while scooping the cornbread batter into tin muffin cups and drizzling honey on top.

"It's going good. I like the people there." He picked up one of the fried chicken flats out of the pan and bit it. A full explanation of his life in Seattle was definitely something he didn't want to talk about with his mother.

"And how are my grandbabies and their mother? Why didn't you bring them with you?"

Miles tossed the bone into the trash can as he was finished with it, getting ready to break the news to his mother. Phylicia's maternal instinct was natural and after having only one baby for so long, her heart, eyes, and pockets were wide open when Miles gave her grandchildren. She felt so full having babies of her own to care for again.

So Miles knew the news would devastate her. "That's something I wanted to talk to you about."

Phylicia stopped what she was doing and wiped her hands with a towel while giving her son her full attention. She could tell something was wrong from the seriousness in his tone.

"What's wrong my baby? Is everybody alright?"

"Yes and no. Legend sick with-"

"Oh my Lord." She let the towel slip from her hands as the baby's condition flowed out of his mouth.

"And he's not my son." Phylicia's hand flew up to her chest and she fiddled with the teardrop diamond pendant on her neck as she let his words marinate in her mind.

"What?" She said breathlessly. Miles watched his mom do the warranted dramatics that he anticipated. "Ahmad! Get in here!"

Walking in with the iPad in his hands, Ahmad's eyes went to his wife who was looking as if she was having a heart attack. "It's the show again?" He asked Miles who was trying to contain his laughter in this serious situation. His dad never knew how to read the room.

Ahmad's butterscotch complexion was almost identical to Miles'. He had facial features from both of his parents but mostly favored his father. Miles knew he'd look just like him in the next twenty or so years. With the same salt and pepper circle beard and all.

"I just told her." He revealed and Ahmad already knew what Miles was talking about. Miles had confided in his father beforehand knowing his mom wouldn't be able to handle it and be the listening ear he needed. Ahmad gave him the advice to get a DNA test for Chace as well, no matter what he thought he knew.