I.V

Emmett ran at an inhumane speed through the forest with an unconscious Lucine in his arms, Rosalie not too far behind them. Suddenly, Lucine's eyes opened wide and a horrendous scream was heard throughout the forest before falling unconscious again. Not too long after a howl was heard from the other side.

Soon enough, they reached the modern home; Carlisle already waiting inside telling Emmett to set her down on the couch. Lucine was breathing hard, drenched in a cold sweat her heart pounding loudly in their ears.

"She's in despair. Go call Jasper here immediately." Rosalie nods as she takes out her phone and quickly calls Jasper, soon enough he appeared in the living room.

"What's going on?" Carlisle stands up, "I need you to use as much of your ability possible to calm her down."

"What do you sense?" Rosalie asks, worry clear in her voice. "She's scared and confused. It's like she's fighting something but even she doesn't know what it is." They all stayed quiet but that silence didn't last before Lucine woke up, letting out a blood-curdling scream.

Her breathing was erratic as she looked at everyone. "Please don't hurt me." Her voice was so low that if they didn't have supernatural hearing, they wouldn't have picked it up.

"No one is going to hurt you." Carlisle used the calmest fatherly voice he could muster.

He looked back at Jasper giving him a nod. Lucine's heart rate slowed down to something more normal. She looked at Carlisle as a tear rolled down her face without her noticing.

"I know you wouldn't but she's scared. All she knows is what she saw." She looked up at Jasper and Rosalie before giving them a smile. "Who's she?" Carlisle asks getting her attention; she puts a hand over her mouth realizing what she just said. She shook her head. "No one. I- Forget I ever said anything." They decided to drop the subject not wanting to make her condition worse.

"Lucine, what do you remember?"

Lucine looked at Emmett as he walked back into the living room. "I remember accidentally seeing Emmett feeding. I know you guys don't hunt humans." Emmett looks at her as if trying to find something.

"I swear I didn't tell anyone." She stared him dead in the eyes knowing he wouldn't hurt her. Rosalie came up to her engulfing her into a hug catching Lucine by surprise before hesitantly hugging her back. "I'm glad you're okay." Memories of their friendship sprung into Lucine's mind as they hugged. They were great friends for the past two summers before Lucine found out their secret.

"Rosie, I'm fine. I'm sorry for what I did. I-I was just scared." Lucine said pushing away slightly to look at her friend. Rosalie shook her head with a smile. "It's okay, I'm just glad you don't hate me. I already gave Emmett a talk for what he did back then." The girls laughed as they hugged again.

"I know now that Emmett wouldn't hurt anyone unless absolutely necessary. He was just trying to protect his family." Lucine gave Emmett a sympathetic smile. "I really am sorry Lucine." She shook her head at Emmett's apology. "Don't worry about it. Let's just forget it ever happened." They all nodded in agreement.

She looked up at the clock to see that class is over by now meaning school is over too. "Wow, time goes by quickly here." Rosalie laughs as she stands up still holding her friend's hand. "Let's get you back to school before your sister gets worried." Lucine sighs and Rosalie picks her up as if she weighs nothing and quickly takes her to the tree border near the school. "I'll call you later okay?" Lucine nods as she gives Rosalie a quick goodbye hug before silently making her way to the rusty red truck.

"Where the hell have you been?" The worry was evident on her face. Lucine laughed lightly. "Bells, calm down. We were just talking and just lost track of time." She said as she hopped into the truck waiting for her sister to get in and drive them home.

***

The car ride was silent; Bella was still mad. "Look, I'm sorry. I didn't even realize my phone was ringing." Bella turned around to face her as they walked upstairs. "I called you five times. How the hell do you not feel the vibration in your pocket?" Well, considering I was passed out for most of it and for the rest of it I was in unimaginable pain. But she couldn't tell her that.

"It wasn't in my back pocket,"

She lied,

"It was in my backpack on the floor."

Bella stared at her for a second before nodding and going all the way upstairs to her room.

Lucine sighed as she ran her hand through her hair as she heard Bella close her door in anger. She didn't know why her sister was so worried. She was only gone for a little over an hour.

***

Lucine was brushing through her hair when she got a call from Rosalie. "Hello?" She answered after the second ring. "Are you alone?" Rosalie asked from the other side, Lucine looked around then out the window to see if anyone was out there. "Yeah, what happened?"

"Okay good; well, you see, my dear brother seems to have piqued an interest in your sister." Lucine smiled at Rosalie's innocence of just how interested he was.

"You're kidding." She acted as surprised as possible. "I wish I was but now he has to go out hunting for a few days."— "A few days?" Rosalie laughed lightly on the other line. "Yeah, your sister left one hell of an impression." Lucine laughed this time.

The girls talked for a little more before Bella called for her sister from downstairs. "I gotta go Rosie but I'll see you at school right?" Rosalie hummed a reply. "Of course, the rest of us don't have to go hunting for another bit." The girls said their final goodbyes before hanging up. Lucine made her way downstairs with a smile on her face.