I.XIX

Everything felt oddly peaceful. It was quiet, so quiet it made her want to scream. Suddenly, there was a faint beeping noise. It sounded far away at first then it started slowly getting louder.

Her eyes opened slightly, trying to adjust to the bright lights above her and the sterile smell that filled her senses. She moved her fingers slightly to get her blood moving.

"Lucine?" She couldn't recognize the voice. She was still somewhat out of it.

"Where am I?" Her voice was hoarse from not using it in a while, her throat was dry. "You're in the hospital sweetheart." She opened her eyes fully now, it was Renee. She smiled at her slightly, nodding at her. She looked around to see no one else in the room. "Your dad and Bella are down in the cafeteria." She nodded again.

"What happened?" Lucine wanted to know what story Bella had come up with to explain her state. Her leg was broken and she had a very obvious human bite mark on her forearm.

This oughtta be good.

She thought to herself with a smile as Renee, her mother, started speaking. She made a mental note to start calling Renee, mom, more often.

To just simply talk to her more.

"Bella said you fell out of a tree, again, and broke your leg." Lucine laughed slightly at the thought, remembering how she broke her leg a few years back when she was eleven and was climbing trees with Paul.

Renee, however, did not find her daughter having a broken leg amusing. "Yeah, that sounds about right. Sorry, mom." She smiled at her, trying to make the whole situation a bit better by showing her that she was fine now.

Bella might be her favorite but I guess her love for her other daughter will always be there.

"Don't be sorry honey; It was an accident." Lucine laughed lightly knowing that she went in there expecting not to come out.

Renee's phone starts ringing, "It's Phil. He's so worried about you." She sends him a text to tell him how Lucine was doing, Lucine looked at her, a bit proud, that she finally learned how to text.

"I told him you're okay and to stay down in Florida." She paused for a second, stroking her daughter's hair a bit before continuing. "I talked to your sister earlier, she said she wants to continue living here in Forks but if you'd like to come live with Phil and me in Jacksonville, you can." Renee was a sweet woman. Lucine just shook her head. "I'm okay here mom. Thanks though." Renee finally smiled. "Alright, well I'll go get your dad and sister, they've been really worried." Lucine nodded as she watched her mom walk out.

Rosalie walked into the room a minute later, Lucine could physically see her relax once she noticed that she was awake.

"I'm so glad that you're okay." She pulled her into a hug once she sat down on the edge of the bed. Lucine chuckled. "I'm fine Rosalie, you guys saved me." She smiled at her once they let go.

"I was so scared that we were going to lose you." She paused for a second, recalling what happened after Lucine passed out. "Bella was hysterical, she thought you died for a second but Edward reassured her that you were still alive. Thankfully, Carlisle was there to help that wound on your side heal." Lucine touched her side, flinching slightly at how sensitive it still was.

"But. I'm fine now. James is dead and we're safe." She knew she was lying but she didn't want Rosalie to worry unnecessarily. "James might be dead but Victoria escaped and something tells me she's not very happy." Lucine sighed as she looked up at the ceiling. "We'll deal with that when we have to if we have to." Rosalie grabbed Lucine's hand, giving it a little squeeze.

"You're right. This whole situation just had me stressed out."-"That's completely normal. You watched your best friend almost die, it's okay to still be a bit stressed out about it." Of course, Lucine knew that the situation was direr than that.

"I didn't watch my best friend almost die. It was like watching my child die. You were dying Lucine and it was one of the worst moments in my existence." Lucine stayed quiet, not knowing what to say. A part of what she said made her heart ache but she couldn't figure out what it was.

"Then why didn't you just turn me?" She asks, wanting to distract from the feeling. She knew full well that this wasn't the right moment to have this conversation, but she couldn't help it. "Because you deserve better than this. You deserve to grow old with whoever you choose to fall in love with. To have children and enjoy the process of aging and watching your kids grow up." She took a deep breath before continuing. "Watching you grow is and will be one of the best things in my undead life." She placed her cold hand against Lucine's pale skin. Granted, her skin was already pale, to begin with.

A small tear fell down the side of her face at the thought of having to leave Rosalie at some point. She had become her person, her best friend, her greatest platonic love. "And having you by my side for the rest of my human life will be the best choice I'll ever make." They chuckled at the sentimental moment they just had. They held hands for a while longer before Charlie and Bella walked in to check on her.

***

It was prom night.

Bella was going with Edward and Lucine was staying in to watch movies with her dad. Mostly because she didn't want to have to walk around much with the giant boot she had to wear until her leg healed, but also, because Charlie was too scared to let her out of his sight.

Lucine and Bella were in Bella's room, getting her ready for prom. She was excited, maybe more nervous but excited nonetheless.

"Are you sure you don't want to come? I'm pretty sure Tyler wouldn't mind taking you." Lucine chuckled as she curled Bella's hair. "I'm sure, plus, Tyler found a date already, remember?" Bella chuckled. "You're right." they stayed quiet for a bit. The silence wasn't awkward for once. It was quite nice, to Lucine's surprise.

"Why'd you do it?" Lucine looked at her through the mirror confused. "Why'd you decide to go to James instead of me?" Lucine let out a sigh as she finished curling Bella's hair. She turned around in the seat to face her as Luce took a seat on the edge of the bed. "I wanted to keep you safe."

"But you didn't have to." Bella was still really worried about Lucine after the incident.

"You know I love you right? You're my sister." Bella just looked at her for a second before standing up and pulling her into a hug. Bella was never one to initiate physical touch, she did occasionally, but it was mostly Lucine that initiated it so, it took her a bit by surprise when she hugged her. "Well, as your sister, don't do it ever again. I can't handle losing my only sister." Lucine chuckled.

"No promises Bells. If it means keeping you, dad, and mom safe, then I will do what needs to be done." Bella was about to object but Charlie beat her to it, calling them downstairs because Edward was there.

"Alice lent me the dress." She said as she got downstairs. Lucine made her way and stood next to Charlie as she looked at the couple with a smile. "You're perfect," Edward commented. Charlie looked at him with a fatherly glare making Lucine laugh. "Dad," Lucine called from beside him, making him look at her. She gave him a look that said, let them have their moment. He just sighed as he looked back at them.

"I'll take care of her, Chief Swan, Lucine." Edward addressed them with a smile. "You better."

I didn't sacrifice my poor leg for you to mess up your date with Bella. Lucine continued in her head, making Edward chuckle slightly.

"I will, I promise." They were about to walk out of the house to head to the school when Charlie stopped her real quick. Lucine walked to the living room, setting up the movie, knowing that they needed a minute.

A few minutes later she heard the front door close and Edward's car leaves the house. Charlie sat down with a beer in his hand as he lets out a sigh. "She'll be okay, dad." She ate some popcorn as she waited for him to respond. "I know she will, after what happened to you that night, I can't help but worry about you two." She smiled slightly as she laid her head on his shoulder. "I know, but we're okay. If anything happens, we'll come to you."--"I hope nothing so bad happens to you two that you have to contact the police chief." They laughed and spoke some more before they officially started the movie.

Lucine smiled at the screen, happy. She was getting used to this life.