I.XIII

She took a deep breath as she walked past the forest line towards the edge of the cliff. She remembers seeing the pack jump off this cliff in the movies. The air was cold, the wind blew her hair slightly which put a smile on her face. Looking out at the ocean brought her so much peace.

Somehow, looking down as the water hit the rocks aggressively below her brought her so much tranquility.

Her life before this was so dull, depressing even. She felt happy being here, even if it wasn't real. Even if it was just a figment of her imagination and she was in a coma somewhere or if she was asleep back home and would wake up any moment to go to school.

"I never want to wake up." She spoke into the open, quietly.

"Don't take me back. Please."

That fear never went away and a part of her felt that it was unnecessary to feel that way, there haven't been any signs of her getting taken away and on top of it all, the Twilight story has just begun. She felt like it would be too early.

She let out a sigh as she ran her hand through her hair trying to rid her mind of such thoughts. Her thoughts were running too freely and she needed to contain them to keep herself sane. She knew there was still some time left but the constant reminder that it was coming terrified her.

The branches that hung low from the trees rustle; crunching from the damp dirt and rocks could be heard making her ears perk up. She stayed calm and kept her focus on the waves.

"It's been a while, Lucine." Her eyes widened as she turned around quickly.

There he was, one of her best friends, Sam Uley. She smiled brightly. Other Lucine was happy to see her best friend, this Lucine was ecstatic to see one of her favorite characters. She always held the pack members in a special place in her heart.

"Don't stand too close to the edge, it's dangerous." He held a smile on his face but a look of uncertainty was roaming free in his eyes. They walked towards each other, meeting in the middle far enough away from the edge. They hugged each other tightly, not wanting to let go. "I've missed you." She said silently into his neck. His skin felt insanely warm, completely supernatural.

"I've missed you too; Embry told me yesterday that you and your sister came back to live with Charlie." He says as they pull away, now facing each other. She laughs slightly. "Yeah, our mom decided to travel with her boyfriend for his career so we decided it'd be a good idea to live with Charlie." He nodded, understanding before Lucine continued. "Sorry that I haven't been by to see you guys. I've just been so caught up with other things." He shook his head. "Don't worry about it. Come by whenever, Paul would be happy to see you again." The tiniest amount of butterflies erupted in her stomach at the mention of his name. She'd always thought Paul was attractive.

She smiled as she gave him a nod. "I'll try to come by once I have time. For now, could you tell him I say hi?"-"Yeah, I'll tell him once I see him later. Trust me when I say he'll be so jealous that I saw you before him." They laughed at the thought of Paul pouting because of such a thing.

They talked for a while longer before Sam's ears perked up slightly, he didn't tell her about him and Paul being shapeshifters, but she'd "find out" once the time was right. Although she found it funny seeing him struggle with keeping it a secret. He almost outed himself multiple times and each time she had to stifle a laugh.

"I have to go now, but it was great to see you again." She hummed an agreement before they hugged again and Sam went on his way. She watched as he disappeared behind the trees before turning back around and walking in towards the edge again.

She took a seat on the edge. It was dangerous but it held some sort of comfort watching her feet dangle over the rapid currents.

She closed her eyes, taking a deep breath again, noticing that the sun was going down and Charlie didn't like it when they drove at night. Always said it was too dangerous. It's sad just how true that way.

Her thoughts started wondering again. She started imagining her mom, not Renee but Cathy, from her life before this.

Cathy wasn't a bad mother, she cared but had a rough time showing it sometimes. After her dad left, Cathy had to step up and become both mom and dad, it was tough for both of them.

"I'm sorry mom." She said to the sky, hoping that her mom could hear her somehow. "I don't know what going on over there, you might be laying next to me while I'm in a coma," she laughed at the thought of herself laying in bed with a bunch of wires and tubes attached to her body. "But, I just want you to know that I'm okay and I'm happy. Maybe things are just starting but I can finally breathe here. I'm not suffocating under my own pressure. I can finally live." She stands up as she speaks. She standing so dangerously close to the edge as she closes her eyes, her arms outstretched towards the sky as she smiles. A single tear rolls down her face at the thought of her mom.

Suddenly, an arm wrapped around her waist, pulling her back far from the edge.

"What the hell do you think you're doing?!" The voice sounded angry, scared. She turned around to find Jacob there, his eyebrows furrowed. She smiled up at him.

"I Wasn't doing anything wrong, Jacob. I was just enjoying the breeze." He scoffed as he stepped back. "Just enjoying the breeze? Are you kidding?" She shook her head. Her smile dropped as she realized how it looked. "Oh my God, no, I wasn't- no." She waved her hands as she stuttered. "There's no other reason for you to be standing that close to the edge unless you were gonna jump." He looks down at her while tucking a strand of hair behind her ear. "I would never do that. I really just was enjoying the breeze. I guess I just got carried away and got too close."

Lie. I'm lying again. I just really like sitting on the edge.

"Next time pay more attention. That edge isn't as stable as it looks." She nodded as they started walking back to where she left the truck. "I really should be getting home though or else Charlie might send out a rescue team." They laughed she they reached her truck but just as he was about to walk away she stopped him.

"What were you doing up there anyway? People rarely go up there." He shrugged. "I don't know. I was just out for a walk and ended up there somehow." That was one hell of a walk. She told herself before nodding and saying their goodbyes before Lucine started her way towards the Swan house.