II.VII

"I thought you said you guys ended whatever it was you had," Bella questioned her as they sat in her room. "It is, I swear. I don't know why he did that." Bella gave her a look as if not believing her. "Why would he kiss you if he didn't like you?"-"I don't know, maybe it was just a spur of the moment but I promise you that I don't like him in that way. He's my friend and nothing else. That kiss was a one-time thing." They looked at each other before Lucine continued.

"I'm pretty sure he has a crush on you anyways. Didn't he tell you that today?" She didn't say a word as she sighed. "He said something like that but I told him I still like Edward. I guess that really set him off." She chuckled to herself. "Then if anything, it was wrong of him to kiss one sister after getting rejected by the other." They laughed at the thought of it. They weren't wrong though. He'd been pining after Bella since they moved there, completely disregarding and forgetting what he felt towards Lucine last summer.

She was happy though. She knew it would've been rough to keep that up if it continued, knowing that he was just going to fall for her niece. Which, in hindsight, was really weird. She held hope that all that just wouldn't happen.

The night ended with them laughing and talking, she missed it. She missed her sister so much even though she was just across the hall for the past few months.

***

The next few days consisted of Bella calling Jacob, apologizing for what she told him, and informing him that she needed to know why he kissed her sister. He never answered obviously.

Bella had asked Lucine to call him, in case he would only answer her phone call but she never did. She contemplated calling Billy but then she'd have to reveal to him that she knew and she was scared that wouldn't end well for her no matter how nice he was.

She could hear Bella pacing in her room as she called Jacob again. The things she would say made it sound like she liked him but she knew that she was just vulnerable and needed to fill in that space, even if it wasn't good.

Bella walked into Lucine's room a few days later to convince her to go talk to Jacob with her. She said no multiple times but she persisted until she said yes.

***

It was raining and even like that they stepped out of the truck and walked up to Jacob, he had cut his hair and got his tattoo done already meaning he had shifted. Lucine couldn't help but admire how good he looked as Bella talked.

"I thought you were too sick to come outside." The hurt in her voice was evident to see him walking out in the rain in total health. "Or pick up the phone when I call." It stayed silent as they waited for him to answer. He looked at the of them, locking eyes with them both just proving Lucine's point that they weren't 'meant to be'. A relief was lifted off her chest at the realization. She loved Jacob but not romanticly.

"Go away." He said, his face still in the same stern expression. Lucine grabbed Bella's arm trying to pull her towards the truck. "Come on Bells, right now doesn't seem like a good time." She looked at him as they made eye contact, trying to signal to him that she understood what he was going through. He just nodded slightly, only for her to notice as Bella yanked her arm out of her grasp.

"What happened to you?" Bella searched his face for answers but he just turned away. She tried to reach out to him and kept questioning him. "Did Sam get to you? Is that what happened?" He looked at her as if she just offended him. "No, Sam's trying to help me." He went on a rant on how she was lying to everyone, how they were lying to everyone. The look he gave Lucine made her look down. He was mad, almost disgusted with them.

Someone called him from the tree lines making him look at them for a second, "I'm sorry guys, but we can't be friends anymore."It hurt him to say but Lucine knew that he had to do it. He looked back at the girls one last time before running towards the pack.