IV.XI

Italy felt warm on her skin yet it made her miss Forks.

She walked through familiar streets, passing a familiar fountain as she joined a group of tourists, or as she recalled them, the Volturi's lunch.

She stayed near the middle of the group, not wanting to stand out too much until she got near the throne room. She looked around the group, watching innocent children laugh and play with each other. It hurt to know that this would be their final day. They were too deep into the castle for her to help any of them, no matter what, she was still just human.

The group walked past the corridor. She sneaked through the group until she got to the entrance of the hall. Just as she starts walking through the hall, her phone starts to ring in her pocket. She curses under her breath for not throwing it in the ocean back home before leaving. She quickly picks it up to find Tyler on the other side.

"Tyler?" She questions as she looks at the contact name. He laughed on the other line. "Yeah, the handsome devil himself. But, uh, why are we whispering?" He says with a laugh. She didn't think about telling Tyler or her other friends that she was leaving. She was so wrapped up in everything else that she completely forgot.

She chuckled, realizing that she was still too far away from the room for anyone to hear her, even with their vampire senses.

"Sorry, I'm just a little caught up right now." She didn't realize how much she missed him until now. He was like her best friend.

"Where are you?"

"Italy?" She said as more a question. He stayed quiet for a while, making her think that maybe he had hung up. "What are you doing in Italy?"

Shit. How do I explain to him that I'm probably gonna die today and I'm here to say bye to my older brothers that so happen to be vampires?

"College scouting. I'm thinking of moving here for good."

Close enough.

"That sounds expensive." He said.

"Yeah, but I already love it here. I'll figure it out." She could tell he was smiling on the other side.

"I know you will. You always do. When are you coming back?"

"I um, I don't think I'm going back." She said softly with a sad smile. He stayed quiet, only his breathing could be heard through the phone.

"Are you sure?" She hummed a yes as she bit her bottom lip lightly, nervous.

"I'm gonna miss you." Her words were coated in double meanings. He knew her well enough to know that she meant more than what she said but knew better than to push for an answer he would rather stay oblivious to.

"I'm gonna miss you too." He said softly.

"Will you be okay without me?" She asked, not knowing what to hope for.

"But you won't be gone. You'll be here, in my heart for as long as I live." Their friendship was like that small flower amid a giant forest. So small yet somehow so important and grand.

He helped keep her together.

She held back tears.

"Thank you, Tyler. For everything."

"No problem. You know I'm good for it."

After a few more words and an extended goodbye, they finally hung up. Leaving Lucine to her thoughts as she walked closer to her brothers.

The closer she got the stronger and thicker the air felt. It was suffocating.

She knocked on the door, trying to be as polite as possible. "Come in." A powerful voice spoke from behind the door. Aro.