III.VIII

Her room was dark, only the light from the moon shining in.

She sat against the headboard with her knees to her chest as her nails dug into her arms. Her eyes focused on the pitch-dark corner of her room as if waiting for something to appear.

All she could hear was the beating of her heart against her chest and the pitter-patter of the raindrops against her window.

She couldn't feel anything, everything suddenly became meaningless. Her emotions became void and she wanted to be enveloped by that dark corner; tucked away safely. A small tear fell down her face as a slight glow came out from the dark corner. The angel-like man's handsome face came into view and soon he was sitting on the edge of her bed holding her hands so she wouldn't hurt herself anymore.

"You're okay." She could feel herself physically relax just by the sound of his voice. "I'm scared." Her voice was shaky and quiet. He smiled at her, not letting go of her hands. "You have nothing to be scared of. You know, deep down, that they wouldn't hurt you." She looked at him, confused. "Who's they?" He placed a hand on her cheek. "I wish I could tell you but that's not something I'm allowed to say." She couldn't look away from him.

His pupils looked almost white, his hair such a beautiful blonde. His skin was soft and warm against her cold, tear-stained cheeks. "I don't want to be so scared anymore." A sad look flashed through his eyes before he pulled her into a hug. She sat motionless in his hug, her arms not wanting to move. "I wish I could take that fear and pain away but it's all part of the process." He said into her hair. It was still a little damp from the shower she took earlier.

"All they wanted to do was take your pain away but in the end here we are." His words made no sense to her but, somewhere deep down in her soul, they made more sense than she could ever imagine.

He stood up from the bed, leaving her confused and motionless. "Will you be back?" She asked him, noticing that he was getting ready to disappear again. He smiled at her. A smile that made her heart feel whole. "I hope not. If we meet again then that means it's officially the end." She watched as the glowing light that surrounded him enveloped his entire body before he disappeared, leaving her in the silent darkness again.

***

The car ride was quiet, except for the wind swooshing by from Lucine's lowered window. Bella wanted to drive this time, something about wanting to distract herself.

Bella didn't drive as fast as Edward did so the drive there took a little longer. She used this opportunity to talk to her sister.

"Why are you so adamant about putting yourself in danger?" Lucine didn't turn to face her, keeping her eyes on the trees. "It's not about putting myself in danger, it's about protecting those I care about." Bella scoffed.

"Are you not scared of death?"

"I never was."

"Why?"

"Because death is an old friend, Bells. How could I be scared of a friend?"

Even without looking at her, she could imagine the smile she held on her face. So honest and trusting, yet, so painful. Bella was the older twin, only by a minute but she was still older. She felt useless, always being protected by her sister when it should be the other way around.

Before they left for Forks, Renee made her promise to take care of Lucine. She was terrified of this place back then and now it's as if none of that happened.

"I just want you to be safe." Her voice comes out almost in a whisper but, thankfully, Lucine heard it. "I know you do and I just want you to be safe too. Sometimes one thing has to happen for the rest to be okay." Bella didn't know what to say so she stayed quiet. Lucine never took her eyes off the fog-covered trees.

***

They stepped out of the car to find the pack, in wolf form, standing in front of the Cullens. The sisters went and stood next to the Cullens, Lucine sighed as she stood next to Rosalie.

"Why aren't they in human form?" Emmett asked Edward since he could help everyone communicate. "They don't trust us." He said. Lucine ran her hand through her hair as she stepped forward, looking at the wolves.

"Thank you guys for coming but right now is no time to be petty and cautious." One of the wolves looked over at Edward. "They say they can't risk being in a vulnerable state around us." She scoffed. "You guys aren't supposed to be this dumb." She was tired and numb. She didn't care anymore about what came out of her mouth.

Leah growled at her, she didn't flinch.

"Bella and I are humans yet here we are but everyone to their own I guess." She said before stepping back, her arms crossed against her chest. Her hair fell on her shoulders making her pale skin stand out even more.

Paul couldn't help but notice the bags under her eyes and the healed scratch marks on her arm. She was stressed and scared and he hasn't been there to help her through it. He lowered his head as he cursed at himself. He watched her walk inside, not bothering to look back at anyone.

She lay on the couch, listening to the muffled voice of Jasper explaining how newborns work and how to beat them. Her ears started ringing painfully, making her cover her ears with her hands. A piercing pain made its way to her head. It was the same thing that happened a few months ago; she was getting a memory back.

Her head felt like it was being split open. She rolled off the couch, barely keeping her body up. She wanted to scream but nothing came out. She crouched over on the floor, holding her head in her hands as blurred images ran through her head.

She was running through the woods, here in Forks. There was someone next to her, holding her hand. She was wearing an old dress, something she'd see in those historical movies that showed on the TV occasionally. She couldn't see the man's face but she could tell he was smiling such a familiar smile.

She couldn't tell whether they were running away together or just having fun. A prick of pain surfaced making her finally able to scream. She let out a blood-curdling scream that had everyone running inside. Some of the wolves ran into the woods to shift before, Sam, Paul, Jacob, Seth, and Leah came running in. They watched as she thrashed around the floor in pain. Blood dripped down her nose.

Carlisle crouched down beside her, trying to see what was going on before facing Edward to get some help. Edward looked pained and confused. "What's going on?!" Rosalie said loudly, needing to know what was causing her best friend such excruciating pain. "She's seeing a forgotten memory from a past life." He said. Jasper tried helping but her pain was too much for him to handle.

Jacob couldn't continue watching and went to hold her against him tightly so she wouldn't hurt herself. Paul stood frozen, not knowing what to do to help the love of his life. All he could do was watch a man she used to love, care for her once again.

Her eyes burst open with a gasp as she stopped moving. Her eyes found Jacob's. She was sweating and blood now stained parts of her face from her nose bleed; she looked frantic.

"Shawn" She uttered in a whisper before passing out, lying motionless in his arms. The only thing letting everyone know that she was still alive was the rhythmic beating of her heart.