I.X

"Okay, I like this one. It makes my boobs look good." Lucine laughed. "They look great Jess." Jessica smiles as she looks at herself in the mirror. Some guys walked by the shop knocking on the window checking the girls out. "That is uncomfortable," Jessica says. "That's disgusting," Bella says looking down at her book again.

"Guys, what do you think?" Angela asked the sisters. "I love the lavender on you, Angela," Lucine says. "Really?" She says looking down at her dress. "Definitely, you guys look good."-"We're going to try on a few more dresses, if you guys want, go explore a bit and we'll call you to meet us at the restaurant." Angela suggest. Lucine nods as she stands up, Bella following. "That doesn't sound bad. We'll get going then, see ya'll in a bit." Jessica and Angela waved them off as they made their way to a bookstore Bella wanted to visit.

***

The girls walked out of the bookstore with the book Bella found online last night. "What's it about?" Lucine asked although she already knew. "Just some stories Jacob told me at La Push." Lucine nodded not pushing the subject, she knew Bella would tell her eventually.

They walked down an alley when they started getting bombarded by the guys they saw at the dress store.

"Don't touch her," Lucine said as she pushed one of the guys away from Bella. It made him mad. he started stalking towards her when a car zoomed into the space. Edward stepped out of the car seething, "Get in the car." he said to the girls without looking at them. Bella didn't move, making Lucine drag her into the front seat, Lucine sat in the back.

Edward got back into the car, speeding out of the area and back into the main road. "Edward, calm down," Lucine said as she hurriedly put her seat belt on.

Bella and Edward talked back and forth, Lucine tuned them out as she remembered the grotesque touch of one of the men. The way his grimy hands touched her as she told him to stop; a tear threatened to escape. "They won't go near you guys again. I promise." Edward says looking at Lucine through the mirror. She forgot for a second that he could read her mind. She gave him a nod.

They reached the restaurant in record time. Lucine stepped out first to talk to Jessica and Angela. "Where were you guys?" Angela asks her as Bella stands next to her, Edward not far behind.

"Um, I'm sorry I kept them from dinner." Jessica and Angela played it off as soon as Edward spoke. Lucine stood beside Angela, hooking her arm around hers. "We'll um- just get going then," Jessica says as the three girls walk around them to her car.

***

Jessica asked question after question as she drove Lucine home. She just laughed and lied through her teeth about how they came across Edward.

"She'll tell you more tomorrow at school."-"She better." Angela said with a laugh as they drove off. Lucine walked into the house to find it empty. "That's right, Waylon died today." She said out loud thinking she was home alone.

She heard something fall from the living room before a voice followed. It was Alice. "How'd you know that?" Her voice was quiet. Jasper stood up from the couch standing next to her. "I- um- my-my dad told me a bit ago." she stuttered her way through it, even though she didn't believe herself. Alice stared at her for a second before choosing to believe.

"What are you guys doing here anyway?" Alice looked at Jasper before turning back to Lucine. "We wanted to come check on you guys. You know just as much as we do that the attack wasn't an animal. It was nearby so we wanted to see if you were okay." He said looking Lucine dead in the eyes. Lucine smiled. "No, I'm fine guys. If something was going to happen to either me or Bella, Alice would've seen it by now." She smiled at Alice who let out a sigh. "Better safe than sorry," Alice said before the two vampires left.

Charlie and Bella got home an hour or so later. Lucine engulfed her dad in a hug as soon as he stepped into the house. "I heard what happened. I'm so sorry dad, I know you two were good friends." Charlie hugged her back tightly before finally letting go. "I'm fine Lucine. I'll find the thing who did this but for now, let's all get some sleep." Lucine could see that he wasn't fine. He and Waylon had been friends for almost thirty years. You don't just lose a friend like that and just be fine but Lucine let it go, letting Charlie mourn in silence.

***

It was midnight, and Lucine sat against her windowsill listening to the wind hit the trees. She could hear Bella slightly mumble to herself about 'the cold ones' as she searched for them in the book she bought in Port Angeles.

a new worry set into Lucine that she hadn't thought of before. Eventually, Bella would find out that Lucine knew all these secrets way before Bella even thought of them. She was scared that Bella would come to hate her for not telling her. She took a deep breath of cold Forks air and looked up at the moon.

A quick movement from above the trees caught her attention but whatever was there disappeared. She thought nothing of it, maybe it was just a bird. A really big bird. Bella walked into her room making her turn towards the door as it opened.

"Lucine, I have to tell you something. I don't know if you'll believe me but it just makes so much sense." Lucine stood up making her way to her sister. Bella set down her laptop on her desk as she scrolled through articles. "What is it?" Lucine asked as excitement bubbled inside her. "I think Edward is a vampire or all the Cullens are." 

Lucine pretended to be confused. 

"What are you talking about? Vampires aren't real Bells." She says as she takes a seat on the edge of her bed, still facing Bella. "Come on, it all makes sense look," She started pointing at words in the article. "fast, when Tyler almost crashed into us, he came from the other side of the lot to stop the car. Strength, he stopped the van from hitting us, cold-skinned, I accidentally touched his hand when we were in his car, he was as cold as ice. It all just makes sense Luce." She desperately wanted to tell her that she was right and that the Cullens were vampires but she knew she had to wait; that she had to hear it from Edward.

Lucine laughed. "Bells, just go to bed. You're probably just tired and overthinking." Bella sighed as she ran a hand through her hair. "Just wait Lucine." She could tell that her sister wanted to say something else but decided against it. Instead, she left for her room across the hall, leaving Lucine feeling bad for not coming clean.