IV.VIII

Lucine had yet to tell Bella about her fate. She was terrified to see her reaction.

Edward pulled her aside before going inside, letting Bella go in on her own.

"You have to tell her." He said silently just in case Bella stayed to eavesdrop. "I'll tell her soon." He looked at her for a second before she let out a sigh. "I'm scared to tell her. I mean, she's pregnant. What if the news affects both her and the baby's health?"—" The baby has more control than she does. We all know it would be better to tell her now than later." Lucine kept that in mind as they walked into the house.

Everyone was sitting quietly, watching Bella with concerned eyes.

She was showing too much for the amount of time she's been pregnant for.

"How are you feeling Bells?" She could barely sit upright anymore even though she was walking perfectly fine earlier. "I'm fine, this baby just won't sit still." She said with a chuckle. Lucine looked up at Jasper to get the truth and it's exactly what she got.

She was in pain.

"Are you sure?" Bella looked between Lucine and Jasper, landing on her sister with a smile.

"Yeah, yeah I'm good." Lucine smiled, giving her a nod not wanting to push the subject.

She looked around noticing that Jacob was missing.

"Jacob got a call from the pack," Rosalie answered once she noticed her searching eyes. She nodded.

She went and stood next to Rosalie as she leaned her head on her shoulder. Alice eyed them with a smile but nothing noticeable enough to stir anything.

Nothing was said after.

***

It's been a few days and Bella's health has plummeted.

She couldn't stomach anything and she was starting to look like a skeleton.

Jacob came after a meeting with the pack, he looked more worried than ever.

"Sam knows. The pack knows."

"What are you talking about?" Edward questions, not leaving Bella's side. "They found out about Bella's pregnancy and they didn't take it too likely." — "What do you mean by that?" Carlisle questioned. "I mean that Sam took it as you guys trying to make more of yourselves or something. Either way, he wants to get rid of the baby." Edward was livid as those words left his mouth. "Like hell they are. They are not getting anywhere near my family." Bella looked at Lucine, knowing she had the answers to it all.

"They can't." — "What?" Jacob questions as he turns to face her, as do the rest in the room. "What about the treaty? They can't go and just break it." Lucine questioned as if she didn't already know the answer.

"Sam thinks it's broken because of the baby."— "It's not broken for us." Esme says seriously. "What are they planning?" Jacob stood quiet for a second before speaking. "I don't know yet but I'll try to find out."—"We appreciate that Jacob, truly." He smiled and nodded at the older man.

Just as he was about to leave he whispered to Lucine to meet him outside. The rest are too busy to notice.

"What is it?" She asked as soon as they stepped outside.

"Is there something you want to tell me?" He asks her calmly. She raises an eyebrow, confused.

"About what?"—"About you and Rosalie." She stood frozen, not knowing how he could've found out. "I- I- We-" she stuttered over herself not knowing what to say.

"I waited hundreds of years for you and this is what you do?" Lucine was in shock, her body filling with guilt over something she couldn't control. "I didn't mean to Jacob. It just happened." She said with a shaky voice.

He scoffed.

"I love you, Lucine. I've always loved you but it's always been her, hasn't it? From the beginning, it's always been her." She shook her head. "You can't say that after everything we've been through. I loved you, I did love you but in the end, my heart grew for someone else. I am not the same Lucine I was those hundreds of years ago the same way you aren't Shawn." He froze.

He knew she was right. Regardless of whether his soul is Shawn or not, he is now Jacob and will forever be Jacob until he takes his last breath.

"Our love was beautiful and pure but it was not meant to last forever. Promises sometimes aren't meant to be kept."

"What am I supposed to do then? Just stop loving you?"

She hesitated.

"Yes. It does neither of us any good. It'll only end in more pain. There is someone in this life for you and sadly that person wasn't me. You can't live a life relying on someone else's emotions like that. I can tell you this firsthand because my entire life has revolved around what others felt and what others wanted. It's not healthy. You deserve better."

"I don't think I'll ever stop loving you." He said silently as a tear fell down his face. She smiled at him sadly.

"You will. You have to. I'm not meant to be forever."

He looked between her eyes.

He felt like they were telling him something she wasn't.

"What's going on with you? Tell me honestly for once." He said quietly. Her eyes kept the same look as she smiled up at him with the same smile that scared him every time.

"I'm dying Jacob. Plain and simple." He saw no lie in her beautiful eyes and her haunting smile.

"What do you mean?"

"I was never meant to live this long. My soul should've gone and done what souls do after their body dies but my brothers couldn't let go. Both my body and soul are exhausted. I need to rest." He stood silently as he proceeded with everything.

"You're not coming back again are you." She shook her head. "Sometimes broken things can't be repaired."

Her beautiful yet haunting smile seared into his memory.

He did the only thing he could think of at that moment. He hugged her so tight, scared that she was going to disappear at that very moment.

"How much longer do you have?" She shrugged as best as she could in his hold. "I don't know. Maybe until after the baby is born."—"Have you told Bella?" She shook her head "I'm waiting for the right moment."

"You have to do it soon."

"I know. I will."