III.XIV

She stood outside Jacob's room trying not to cry as she watched him sleep, remembering the image of him withering in agony a few minutes ago.

Carlisle says he's healing but she couldn't help but worry that the newborn did more damage than they could see.

"Don't worry too much Lucine, he'll be okay soon," Billy said as he went to look at his son. "But what if he doesn't?" She questioned more out of fear than anything.

She knew he'd be fine, she'd seen it.

"Carlisle promised he'd recover soon and if he doesn't then we'll just hunt down the bloodsucker." Lucine laughed lightly at Billy's attempt to cheer her up. It worked.

Billy watched as Lucine looked at his son with a look he hadn't seen in years. He touched Jacob's hair lightly, not looking at Lucine as he spoke.

"Do you love him?" Lucine kept her eyes on Jacob, not moving from her spot against the door.

She nodded with a small smile.

"I've loved him for centuries and shall love him till I breathe my last breath." Billy knew not to ask too many questions but he knew he wouldn't get answers unless he asked. "I'm not a vampire Billy. My soul has just lived more than it should've." She answered the question he hadn't spoken to.

He nodded, accepting the answer, trusting that she wouldn't lie to him.

"You can stay the night if you want but I know two people back home that have been worried sick about you." He finally looked at her, giving her a small smile.

She took a deep breath and nodded, knowing that Charlie and Bella were probably worried sick about her. She hadn't been home in days and for most of them, she'd been out cold in the Cullen's house.

"I'll see you later Billy, call me if anything changes." He nodded as she walked out of the house and towards the car Jasper let her borrow.

She drove down the familiar roads lined by trees and mountains, familiar roads that she never imagined would become familiar. She still had moments where she was scared to sleep, in fear that she'll wake up in her old life.

Without Charlie, without Bella, without the pack or the Cullen's.

Without Rosalie.

She tried not to think about it often but she had come to realize that anything is possible.

She parked the car on the side, gaining the courage to step out of the car and walk up to the front door.

She loved Charlie and Bella and she'd do anything to keep them safe; even if that meant losing herself.

She opened the door, only the faint light from the TV in the living room shining through. "Hello?" She spoke into the open, hoping one of them could hear her. She walked into the living room to find her dad and her sister asleep soundly on the couch.

She hasn't realized how late it was so she let them sleep, heading up to her room and finally changing into something more comfortable. The exhaustion of everything finally caught up to her as soon as she laid her head on her pillow.

It was a dreamless night and for once, she was thankful.

***

She felt someone shaking her awake the next morning. She groaned and turned away from them. "Just give me a few more minutes." The shaking wouldn't stop so she finally laid on her back and opened her eyes. Bella and Charlie stood beside the bed with worry painted clearly on their faces.

Lucine sighed, "I'm okay." Charlie ran a hand down his face. "How could you disappear for almost the entire week, without a single word, and just come back saying you're fine?" He was trying to keep his composure but he needed answers. He needed to know that his daughter had been safe those entire few days she was out of his reach.

"Charlie, calm down," Bella said as she put a hand on his shoulder. "I just got caught up in a few things. I'm sorry I didn't call." The room stayed quiet, filling with tension. "She was passed out for most of it," Bella spoke, making Lucine look at her in disbelief at the fact that she just ratted her out like that.

"What do you mean she was passed out?" He asked Bella, knowing that Lucine would give him some bullshit answer to not worry him. "We got into an accident at the sleepover and Lucine didn't wake up for a while because of it." Charlie looked between his daughters. "And why am I just finding out about this? Why didn't I get a call from the hospital?"-"I begged them not to call you, knowing that you were busy with work these days, we just didn't want to worry you." Bella spoke quickly.

He stayed silent, processing everything. He took a seat on the edge of his daughter's bed, taking her hand in his as he let out a sigh. "Are you okay? And be honest with me Lucine." She nodded. "Everything okay now dad. We just didn't want you to worry." He nodded as he looked at his daughter, scared and disappointed that he couldn't prevent what happened or at least be there with them to help them through it.

He didn't pry, knowing that they would tell him once they were ready.

He looked between both girls and choked back some tears. Everything that had happened since they had been back in town had finally caught up to him.

One of his daughters had almost died three times and each time he couldn't do anything about it. But he knew he couldn't do anything to stop them from doing whatever they were doing.

"Just promise me-" his voice broke as tears started to flow out. The girls quickly engulfed him in a very needed hug. "Promise me you both will be safe, take care of each other. Please." They nodded as they cried with him. "We promise," Bella spoke.

"Good 'cause I'm not getting any younger which means my heart isn't getting any stronger." He said as he laughed at his own joke. The girls chuckled along with him, enjoying a family moment they hadn't had in a while.