III.V

The cold air made her smile as she leaned her head on his shoulder. Their fingers intertwined and they basked in the sun that peaked through the trees. The silence was peaceful and tranquil.

Lucine lifted her head, now looking at Paul. She took in all his features, admiring the man she had fallen for. A smile grew on her face as she looked out into the woods, watching as a rabbit hopped around and birds chirped in the trees.

Paul stood up suddenly, not looking at her whatsoever, and started walking. Lucine stood up and watched.

"Where are you going?" She asked confused but he didn't turn around nor answer, he just kept walking. She looked ahead of him to see where he was going and her eyes grew in shock. There was a beautiful girl standing in front of him with a loving smile, waiting for him. Lucine looked between them as she watched a smile grow on his face the closer he got to her; a smile that he only ever showed Lucine.

Lucine didn't know what to feel nor what to do. She was watching the one person that was supposed to love her, fall for someone else.

She watched as Paul and the girl joined hands, staring into each other's eyes with pure love. She was so beautiful. Red hair framed her beautiful green eyes. Her face and body were covered in freckles and her smile was blindingly beautiful.

"I never stood a chance," Lucine whispered to herself as she stepped backward, turning around before she started bursting out in tears. She wanted to run up to them and scream at Paul but watching them drained her energy. It made her feel sick to no avail.

She was staring down at the dirt floor as she walked; grey clouds covered the sky as it got colder. There was a strange rustle in the trees as she walked making her look up. Her heart was raising from before and her vision was blurry as the tears that wants so desperately to come out. A figure stood in front of her. She rubbed her eyes to get the tears out and blinked a few times.

She looked up again to find Rosalie standing there, looking at her with sad eyes. Lucine smiled slightly as she walked towards her, desperately needed one of her hugs but before she reached her Rosalie stepped back. Lucine stopped dead in her tracks as she felt a hurtful pang in her heart. Rosalie rejected her.

"I'm sorry. Did I do something wrong?" She asked. Rosalie shook her head. "You did nothing wrong. We just can't be friends anymore. I can't keep dealing with your crap." Lucine's eyes widened at her harsh words. "What?" Her voice was shaky. She was about to lose her best friend. "All you do is cause problems and I can't keep defending you from my family." She was taken aback. "I-I'm sorry, Rosalie, please don't leave me like this. I'll do better but please." Rosalie shook her head as she turned around, ready to leave. "Goodbye, Lucine. I hope to never see you again." She sped off, out of Lucine's sight.

Lucine dropped her knees as she ran Rosalie's words through her head over and over again.

"You told me I was your greatest love." She whispered to herself as tears fell freely.

It's all my fault. I wasn't good enough for Paul. I wasn't good enough for Rosalie. All I do is bring problems for everyone I love. She thought as she looked down at the hands that sat on her lap.

She sat alone and cold in the woods, too tired and sad to sob so her face stayed still as the tears flowed.

Her body felt warm as if arms were wrapping around her kneeling body. "It's okay." A warm voice whispered into her ear. "I'll take care of you." She couldn't say anything nor see anything. She was enveloped in darkness, feeling like her lungs were filling up with water. She didn't struggle one bit.

A glowing figure floated towards her. He was beautiful, like an angel. He placed his warm hand on her cheek as he looked her in the eyes with a smile. "I brought you here out of a promise but if you ever wish it, I will take you away again." She searched his eyes, wanting to find the lie but he was being sincere. She was about to nod until she thought of Charlie and Bella. What would happen to them?

She shook her head. "I need to stay, please." Her voice was quiet and her face was tear-stained. He smiled, taking her hand in his and kissing the back of it.

"Then so be it."

She woke up with a gasp. Sitting up in her bed, she looked around her room frantically. It was all a dream. A nightmare.

She looked beside her to find Paul passed out next to her. She sighed as she laid her head on his chest, listening to his heartbeat. She remembered the beautiful green eyes that looked up at him so lovingly. Fear crept into her chest at the thought of her existing; of her coming and taking what's rightfully hers.

She sighed, ridding her mind of idiotic thoughts. She couldn't fall asleep again in fear of having another nightmare. Instead, she went downstairs and stood outside, looking through the pitch-black woods. There was something eerie yet so relaxing about it. Death was always around the corner, she has be on the cusp of it twice already but that didn't stop her from throwing herself at it every single time.

She always had this strange feeling toward death; people always described it as dark and scary. Death is something that everyone should be scared of ever going through but it was just part of nature.

Both times, while she was on the cusp, she greeted him like an old friend. Like someone, she hasn't seen in years, almost excited. Of course, she was still scared but it was more the fear of leaving everything and everyone behind rather than not living.

Death was an old friend, and sometimes she missed him.