I.IX

Bella, Lucine, and Angela sat in the van while the rest put on their wet suits to go out and surf. "You're really not gonna come paddle out?" Tyler asks as he takes a seat beside Lucine.

They've gotten close over the past week, especially after the incident. Lucine shook her head. "Nah, as much as I love surfing, I myself, cannot surf." Tyler laughed as he put his hand on her head. "Suit yourself."

He stood up grabbing his board as he flexed his muscles. "If you're not gonna come out then at least admire the beauty that I am." Lucine rolled her eyes and laughed, pushing him jokingly as she made her way and sat with Bella and Angela.

"So, I keep thinking that Eric's gonna ask me to the prom, and then he just doesn't," Angela says as soon as Lucine sits down. Bella gives Angela a pep talk telling her to ask Eric herself instead of waiting. Lucine nodded along before seeing Jacob, Quil, and Embry walk up.

"Hey, Bella, Lucine," Jacob says with a big puppy dog smile on his face. "Embry!" Lucine says excitedly as she stood up and practically leaped into his arms. That was excitement from both Lucines. Embry laughed as he hugged the girl tightly. "You've been here for so long and you haven't come to see us yet." Lucine laughs as he gives Quil a hug too. "I'm sorry, I've been so caught up on other things, I just forgot." She hugged Embry again but was more apologetic. Bella and Jacob had their own conversation as Lucine, Embry, and Quil walked off towards the beach.

***

"You know, Paul and Sam still don't know you're here." Lucine raised an eyebrow.

Why should they know I'm here? 

The question kept running through her mind as she searched through other Lucine's memories for an answer. They walked alongside the rocks that littered that beach. Lucine admired the beauty that was La Push. "You know you're always welcome, plus, Sam's had a hard month. I think having a close friend come back would do him some good." Quil said. That's when it clicked. Both Lucines have always been friendly, it's not a shocker to think that maybe she was able to befriend both sides before those sides even fully figured each other out.

She knew Paul and Sam had already phased. She saw them in the forest in her first few days here but they phased after she left last summer. It was recent.

Lucine gave them a smile and nodded. "I'd love to see them." Embry let out a sigh of relief. "I was hoping you'd say that. You were so weird last summer. Always choosing to hang out with the Cullens instead of us, or I guess, Paul and Sam, you three were practically inseparable before the Cullens showed up." Embry put his arm around Lucine as they continued to walk.

They went up to a cliff that overlooked the entire beach. Lucine recognized the cliff, it was the one the pack cliff dived from. Lucine looked over the edge, rocks lay at the bottom with treacherous currants hitting against them. A hand grabbed her pulling her back. She looked back to see Embry, his long hair slightly covering his face due to the wind.

They stepped a safe distance away from the cliff, Lucine pushed Embry's hair out of his face tucking it behind his ear. Embry looked at her for a moment with an emotion she couldn't decipher. Lucine just smiled at him innocently. "Um- so, you and Jacob, you guys aren't-" Lucine shook her head realizing what he was about to ask. "Oh gosh no, there's nothing like that between us. We're like best friends now. Plus, you saw back there, he's got eyes for my sisters." There was not a hint of jealousy in her voice or eyes. She was satisfied with just being friends with Jacob. Whatever happened last summer stays there.

Embry smiled at her response. "Yeah, he seems pretty hooked on her huh?" Lucine laughed. Understatement of the century. She thought to herself. Embry was about to say something else when Lucine's phone rang; it was Bella. "Hello?"-"Hey, come back down, we're leaving and Tyler won't start the car until you get here." Lucine laughed. "Okay, tell him to turn it on, I'll be there in a minute." Lucine hung up the phone before facing the two boys. She grabbed them into a group hug and said her goodbyes. "Let Sam and Paul know I'm here and I'll be visiting as soon as I can." The boys nodded as Lucine made her way down the cliff and through the beach to the vans.

After a few minutes, Lucine finally reached the van, she didn't realize just how far she was or how fast she was running until she got there and she was out of breath. "Oh my god, finally. " Jessica says as she climbs into one of the vans. "Sorry guys." She gets into a van with Bella, taking a seat next to her sister. "Next time I'm making you walk home," Tyler says jokingly from the driver's seat making Lucine laugh. "Yes sir." She says with a salute as Tyler drives out of the parking lot.

"Bella hurry up! They're already waiting outside!" Bella came down the stairs quickly with her purse barely hanging off her shoulder. "I'm sorry, I forgot to grab something." Lucine grabbed her bag off the hook and they ran outside to Jessica's car.

"Sorry for the wait guys," Bella says immediately as she gets in the car. "It's okay, we weren't waiting for long." Bella looks over at her sister, and Lucine looks out the window, trying not to make eye contact.

"Lucine, are you going to prom?" Angela asks from the passenger seat. "Lucine shook her head. "Sorry, I and Bella are going up to Jacksonville that weekend."-"I thought you and Tyler were going to go together?" Jessica says. Lucine laughs. "What? Oh god no, I'm not going with Tyler." Angela looked back at her. "I thought you guys liked each other though." Lucine stared at the girl in disbelief. "We're close friends, yes, but that's it. There's nothing more than that and he knows it too." Angela and Jessica nodded as they entered Port Angeles.

Lucine looked over at Bella, she was staring down at a sticky note. Oh, now the fun really begins. She thinks with a smile.