II.XI

Bella, Edward, and Alice were back from Italy. Carlisle called for Jasper and Rosalie to be present for something Bella wanted to ask them so she didn't go home for a while. Lucine stayed in bed, still stuck in her head from the conversation she had with Rosalie.

Rosalie wasn't over it yet either, when they went to the house to tell her they'd head home, she wouldn't even look at her. It broke her heart even more. She hadn't realized that her actions would affect someone so much that she'd get the silent treatment. Paul was there when he could, to try and comfort her but he knew that only Rosalie could fix this.

Bella finally came home in the morning, Charlie was out at work so it was just the two sisters in the house. She knocked on Lucine's door only to get a tiny, "come in." She took a seat on the edge of her sister's bed and looked at her. She looked exhausted as if she was struggling to sleep and she could tell that she hadn't been out of bed to eat either. She was torturing herself without realizing it.

Bella decided to try and distract her sister's thoughts by talking about what she asked the Cullens.

"I'm going to be a vampire." She blurted out. Lucine just nodded, too tired to keep up an act. "I know." Her voice was so hoarse and quiet. "How?" Bella asked her. "Your boyfriend tried to take his own life because he thought you died and you almost did the same thing because he wasn't around. It just makes sense." She said, not moving from her position on the bed. Bella chuckled finding her answer amusing. "I guess it does make sense. You aren't mad though right?" She shook her head. "I don't see a reason why. My boyfriend's a shapeshifter and my best friends are vampires and my sister is turning herself into one. The dots are just connecting." She sighed as she sat up to look Bella in the eyes.

"Personally, I wouldn't become a vampire but if you're willing to live forever then so be it. I'll try to make myself memorable enough for you to remember." Bella chuckled at her joke but Lucine meant it more seriously than it sounded. She never knew whether one day she would just disappear and leave them with nothing but a memory or whether she was going to die.

She was painfully aware of her position in the grand scheme of things. She wasn't a big dot on the map that needed to be connected. The story would continue as usual if she were to die so she had to be more careful from now on if she wanted to stay. There was no knowing whether she'd go back to her world or die completely if something were to happen in this one. She needed to stop taking such big risks and be a little selfish for once no matter how hard it is.

"I'll never forget you, Lucine. Rosalie would never let me forget even if I tried." They laughed at the thought. Rosalie truly would never forget her. No matter how mad or disappointed she was at Lucine right now, she loved her no less than when she was not mad.

She knew that once her human life gave out, Rosalie would be one to mourn the most but she knew that she'd find another Lucine, another love, one day in the future.

***

Lucine finally showered and put on some comfy sweats as she sat in the living room eating pizza with Charlie, Bella was out with Edward again.

"Hey, dad." She said getting his attention. He hummed a response. "You remember Paul right?" He nodded. "Good kid, you guys used to be inseparable before you met the Cullen girl." She laughed a little at how true it was. After her friendship with Rosalie started, she started hanging out with her a bit more and less with Sam and Paul.

"What about him?" He asked as he took a sip of his beer. "well, we're kind of together."-"How are you kind of together?" He asked, lowing the volume on the TV. "As in, we're together but we haven't put a label on it yet. I think he's waiting to talk to you and ask." He chuckled. "Well, isn't he a gentleman." Lucine chuckled. "So, would you give him permission to date me?" She was nervous, he's been more protective and worried for the past few months so his answer was very fifty-fifty right now. "Does he treat you well?" She nodded. "Then I don't see why not. Plus, I know where the kid lives." He said eyeing his gun that leaned against the wall. She hugged him and thanked him before heading upstairs to her room for the night.

***

Someone was throwing rocks at her window trying to get her attention. She thought it was Paul until Jacob stood in front of her closing the window behind him.

Charlie was dead asleep downstairs now and Bella wasn't home.

"When were you going to tell me?" She was confused. "Wha-" He cut her off, he was mad. "When were you going to tell me about Paul?" She took a seat on the edge of her desk as she looked down. "I thought one of the guys would tell you so I didn't see a reason why." He scoffed. "After what we talked about that night and you thought it'd be a good idea to let the guys tell me?" She nodded but then something clicked in her mind.

Why was he mad?

She stood up, facing him. "Why are you mad about all of this?" He ran his hand down his face. "I don't know. I know we promised to leave all those feelings in that night, in that kiss, but finding out that the girl I can't stop thinking about in one of my friend's imprints, is driving me insane." She sighed before looking up at him.

"You remember what you said?" He nodded before repeating himself. "I want you to be happy. I hope that whoever ends up being the one for you, will love you more than I have." She smiled up at him. "And that someone is Paul. I know it feels too early but it's just how things worked out." He nodded. He looked down at her, searching her eyes for that twinkle she would always have whenever she looked at him but they were gone. They were only used for Paul now.

"Does he make you happy?" She nodded. "Insanely happy." She replied with a smile making him smile. All the anger he felt before was gone. As long as she was happy, he'd be okay. He just let his emotions get the better of him this time. He tucked a strand of hair behind her ear with a sigh. "As long as he makes you happy but if he ever hurts you, I'll rip him apart." She laughed knowing that every word he said was the truth.

"I know you would. Thank you." he let go and walked over to the window, saying his goodbyes and heading home. Leaving Lucine in her journal as she wrote about what was to come.