II.IX

Lucine sat on the steps of her house waiting for Bella to get home. Paul dropped her off but struggled a little to convince him to leave since he was on patrol that night. She asked why they were on patrol but he wouldn't tell her even though she already knew that it was because Victoria was out to get her. If Paul ever found out that Victoria was hunting her to get revenge for James' death, he'd go berserk.

A thought ran through her mind, Victoria can't find out about her being Paul's imprint, or else she would find some way to harm him. She got stuck in her own head, bouncing her leg up and down as she chewed on her fingernail nervously. She didn't notice that Bella and Jacob showed up until Bella shook her shoulders. "Hey, you okay?" She asked. Lucine cleared her throat as she stood up. "Yeah, I'm fine. I just have to tell you something once we get inside." She looked over at Jacob, smiling at him to let him know that she saw him.

"About what we talking about, we won't let her get near you guys or Charlie," Bella warned him about how fast she is but Jacob just laughed. "I gotta go." He said. Bella repeated his words. "I got a vampire to kill." He said before he ran off.

The sisters walked inside, heading upstairs to Lucine's room. "So," Bella started as she took a seat on the edge of the bed. "What was it you wanted to tell me?" Lucine took a deep breath as she sat down on her desk chair, looking up at her sister. "Do you know what an imprint is?" Bella nodded. "I think I read about it a while ago when I was looking for vampires, why?"-"Well, all that is true, and um I'm Paul's." She looks down, waiting for Bella to say something but she doesn't. Bella stays quiet making Lucine look up. She stared at her, kind of shocked.

"So, you guys are together?" She shook her head. "No, we're going to take things a little slow. But, with this gift, we know that we're meant to be." She said with a smile. Bella smiles too standing up to give her sister a hug. Lucine stands up too, reciprocating it. "Well, as long as you're happy." Lucine laughed at the cliche line but she knew Bella meant every word.

Bella left her room after a few more minutes of talking about Paul and how oblivious she was to his feelings in the past. Lucine lay in bed thinking about what was going to happen to her sister tomorrow. She didn't know how she was going to do it, but she knew she had to stop her from jumping.

***

She ended up following Bella after school, told her she was going with a friend to hang out but instead snuck under the throw blanket they had in the back of the truck. She watched as Bella walked through the woods to reach the edge. She followed silently behind, knowing that Jacob was in wolf form somewhere to see them.

Bella was too caught up talking to imaginary Edward to know what was going on around her. Bella started taking off her jacket to jump.

Just as she was about to jump, Lucine ran up behind her, turning them around, pushing her sister far away from the edge. She lost her footing and fell backward into the cold treacherous water. She was able to come above water for a second to see Jacob holding Bella back from jumping in before the current took her under.

She couldn't hold her breath anymore as her lungs started to sting from the salty water. She tried to stay awake but soon the darkness took over.

***

Lucine woke up back in her room, wrapped tightly in her covers as a cold hand held her tightly. She slowly opened her eyes to find Rosalie sitting in a chair next to her bed talking to someone behind her. The person must've said something because now she was looking at Lucine smiling.

"You're awake." She said happily as she helped Lucine sit up. She looked at the person Rosalie was talking to, it was Jasper. "How are you guys back?" She asked them. "Alice called us last night about what happened. We came as quickly as we could." Jasper spoke as he grabbed her other hand. She smiled at them.

"I'm so glad to see you guys again. I've missed you." She said as she squeezed their hands. "Where's Bella though?" She asked even though she knew the answer. They looked at each other contemplating whether to tell her or not. "She's in Italy with Alice trying to save Edward." Rosalie answers. "But she's fine. They'll keep her safe." Jasper finishes for her, sensing the fear that was starting to rise up in her chest.

"by the way, there's a mutt waiting outside to see you. We haven't let him in since Bella left for Italy." Lucine looked at them before chuckling. "You guys can let him in. I'll talk to you guys afterward." They nodded, Rosalie, giving her hand one last squeeze before letting go. "If you need anything, we'll be downstairs." She nodded, thanking them before hearing heavy footsteps coming upstairs.

Paul walked into the room engulfing her in a hug almost immediately. He stepped back a little just to see her face. "I was so scared when I got the news." He said quietly, the fear of it all so clear on his face. She put her hand on his cheek, rubbing her finger back and forth. "I'm okay now. I had to do it." He looked at her before standing up and running his hand through his hair. "You had to do it? In what world would you have to jump into the ocean and almost drown?" He sounded mad but she knew it was just because he was scared for her safety.

"I had to save my sister." That was all she said. It was all she had to say.

He scoffed. "Jacob was there. You didn't have to do it because you knew he'd be there to save her." He looked at her with a certain look on his face. "I don't want you ever doing something like that again." He continued earning an angry look from her. "You can't control what I decide to do with my life." She says as she stands up, looking at him right in the eyes. "Whether I chose to save my sister, or do anything for that matter, is none of your business. We might be 'soulmates' but that doesn't automatically give you the right to order me around." She said putting the word soulmate in air quotes. He let out a breath as he grabbed her hand.

"I know, I'm sorry, I was just so scared that I'd lost you. The thought of losing you terrifies me." He says as he connects their foreheads. She could feel how much he cared about her. "Paul, trust me when I say that you'll never lose me. I'll always be here." She placed her hand on his chest where his heart it. He understood what she meant and let out a sigh.