IV.IX

Multiple weeks passed, and Renesmee's birth date was getting closer but Lucine kept that to herself. Whether she told them or not, the outcome would be the same.

Lucine hadn't left her sister's side the entire time being the first to tell her to drink blood as soon as her body, or mostly her daughter rejected any other form of substance. She looked dead and it hurt Lucine to see her like this. She knew she was going to die soon, even if it was temporary but the thought of her sister dying was not a thought she would like to have.

Suddenly, a thought crossed her mind that she somehow managed to forget about. Her brothers would be forming an army to get rid of the Cullens as a whole, using her niece as an excuse to do it.

She sat outside now trying to think of a plan to stop that from happening. Alice came and took a seat next to her. There was a warm breeze in the air, which was weird for Forks.

They look at each other for a second before Lucine finally connected the dots. "You know what I'm going to choose don't you?" She nodded with a sad smile. "They're your brothers and they love you. They deserve a proper goodbye." Lucine searched her eyes as her vision blurred. "I haven't told Bella yet," Lucine confessed quietly.

Everyone but Bella knew at this point and it was eating away at her by the minute.

"Tell me, Alice. What should I do?" She shrugged as she turned to stare at the moon. "I wish I could tell you Lucine but that's something you need to figure out on your own."

Lucine turned to face the moon as she let out a deep sigh.

"Do you think I'm making the wrong choice?" Alice shook her head, neither of them looking away from the shining moon. "I don't think so. You're doing what you think is right for everyone but, maybe just for once, think of yourself and what would make you happy." Lucine didn't know what to say. She'd been too focused on everything else.

I don't know what to think anymore.

Screaming was heard from inside a second later snapping them out of their thoughts. Lucine cursed under her breath, forgetting that Carlisle and Esme had left earlier to hunt.

They ran inside to find Edward running to another room with Bella in his hands.

Lucine looked around at the vampires that stood in a room with a bleeding Bella.

"Rosalie," Lucine said trying to get her attention away from the blood. "I can do it. I-I can help." Lucine shook her head as she went and cupped her lover's face so she'd stop looking at her sister with terrifying hunger.

"Go and wait for Carlisle and Esme, try to keep Jasper out of here. Please." She pleaded until Rosalie nodded, trying to force her instincts down and leave the room.

It was just her and Edward in the room with Bella lying on the table letting out blood-curdling screams as the baby pushed its way out.

"What do we do?" Edward asked in a panic. Lucine tried to recollect all she remembers from the birth scene. "Go and try to calm her down. Nothing is going to work out well if she's panicking." He nodded and went to calm her down, whispering sweet nothing into her ear as he caressed her head. Telling her that everything was going to be okay and that soon they'd be able to hold their baby.

Lucine's heart ached as she heard that, knowing that Bella would die as soon as Renesmee came out.

"Come on Bells, push as hard as you can." Lucine was at the end of the chair with a towel, waiting to get the baby as soon as she came out. Bella screamed and groaned as she pushed with all her might. Lucine could see her niece's head poking out. "That's good, keep going." She said with a smile. Soon enough the baby was out and all that was heard were small baby cries and shallow panting from Bella.

Lucine quickly wiped the baby off and asked Edward to cut the umbilical cord. "She's beautiful Edward. You're a very lucky man." She said as she passed her over to her father. He looked down at her with so much fatherly love.

She gave them a little space and went to check on Bella. She was dying, she lost too much blood. "She looks so much like you Bells," Lucine said quietly, trying not to cry. Bella smiled. "Take care of her for me?" Lucine shook her head. "I can't because you'll be here for her." She said with a smile.

"Edward, Edward!" She said loudly to get his attention. It didn't take another word for him to realize what was happening. He handed her his daughter and ran to Bella.

Lucine left the room with Renesmee in her arms. She looked down at her niece, caressing her face lightly as she finally came up with her decision.

She stepped out into the living room just as Carlisle and Esme got there. She looked at Carlisle for a second before he rushed into the room with Edward and Bella.

"Guys, meet Renesmee," Lucine said with a smile as everyone came to say hi to the newborn. "She's beautiful," Esme said as Lucine handed her to him. Everyone surrounded Renesmee as they fawned over her. Esme passed her over to Rosalie after a while. Rosalie looked down at the baby with such motherly love.

It moved something in Lucine's heart.

Edward and Carlisle came out into the living room where everyone else was, Edward looked dejected as e held his head low. Carlisle shook his head, "Now we just wait." He said. Edward sat on the couch with his head in his hands.

Lucine took a seat next to him.

"She's not gone, Edward. She'll be back." He looked up at her, seeing what she's seen. Seeing him and Bella running through the woods after she wakes up. He didn't say anything, didn't move.

She could see him replaying the thought in his head to keep himself together.

She took the chance that everyone was too busy with the baby to go and see Bella. She stood at the entrance for while, looking at her sister as she lay dead on the chair. After a few seconds, she walked over and looked down at her sunken face.

Her vision blurred as she reached her shaking hand to touch her cheek. She felt cold to the touch. Tears flowed out slowly as her knees threatened to give out under her.

"I'm sorry." She said with a broken voice. "I'm sorry I couldn't do better. I'm sorry that I won't be here when you wake up. I'm so sorry." She said the last part in a whisper, her energy giving out.

She caressed her hair lightly as she looked down at her sister with a sad smile.

"Don't forget me, okay? Don't hate me too much." She bent down and gave her sister a shaky kiss on the forehead before giving her own last look and leaving before anyone else would notice.