I.VI

The drive to school was deadly quiet. Lucine was wracking her brain trying to figure out why Bella was so mad but still came up with nothing. I'd understand if I was gone for a whole twenty-four hours but it was only one hour; I just don't get it. She thought to herself as she looked over at her sister. Bella kept her eyes on the road; it was raining today.

"Why are you so mad Bells? I wasn't gone for that long." Bella let out a sigh of frustration. "After what happened last summer, I can't help but worry." Lucine raised an eyebrow. What the hell did other Lucine do last summer, damn?

"That was last summer though, I'm over it." They pulled into the school parking lot shortly after but didn't get out of the car. "Over it? After you came home that summer, you were terrified of everything." Lucine turned to face her sister, confusion clear on her face.

"What are you talking about?" --- "I remember Halloween after that summer, Phil dressed up as a vampire and you lost it. You locked yourself in your room and didn't come out for a week. You didn't eat, didn't sleep. All you did was cry and scream out not to hurt you. I don't know what you experienced out here that summer but whatever it was messed you up and now you're going to look me in the eyes and tell me you're over it?" Lucine looked at her, seeing the worry as clear as day. 

"I-" Bella cut her off. "You were terrified to come back to Forks. You cried that morning before we left for the airport, but the second we land and you woke up," Bella takes a deep breath as she lays her forehead on the steering wheel before looking back up at her sister.

"It's like you're a whole other person Lucine." Lucine looked at her with wide eyes in shock. "I- um I- I'm not that different. I-I'm still me." Bella looked at her before whipping the stray tear that fought its way out.

She looked at the clock on the dashboard. "We'll talk about this later. Just don't go off disappearing on me like that or at least pick up my calls if you do." Lucine nods as she pulls her sister into a hug. "I promise I'll pick up your calls from now on." The sisters laughed lightly before exiting the truck and making their way to first period, English.

***

"Hey, you okay?" Rosalie asked from behind her as Lucine took a seat. She turned around to face her. "Yeah, I'm fine. Why?" Rosalie smiled as she held her friend's hand, she shook her head. "Nothing. Just, Jasper thought he sensed fear coming from your truck this morning before you guys got out." Lucine laughed as she reassuringly squeezed Rolasie's hand. Her hands felt cold and hard against her own.

"Don't worry Rose. Everything okay." Lucine said with a nod before turning around just as the teacher walked in to start class.

***

A few days had passed, and Lucine was walking down the hall towards Bella when she noticed Edward standing beside her. They were talking. She smirked as she made her way up to them.

"You're really difficult for me to read." Lucine stifled a laugh as she wrapped her arms around her sisters. "Oh, truly very difficult Bells." She laid her head against Bella's shoulder. Edward looked at her with a slight tint of annoyance. Ouch, did I stomp on lover boy's little plans? Lucine thought with a smile knowing he could easily 'read her.' Edward gave her a smile that practically said, go-away.

"Hey, did you get contacts?" Bella asked Edward, completely ignoring her sister's presence making Lucine roll her eyes.

She let go of her sister's arm and grabbed her hand. "No Bella, it's just the fluorescents." She said as she dragged her sister away.

She looked back at Edward. Don't worry, you'll have her all to yourself for the next week. I have my own fun to be had. Edward smiled as he rolled his eyes giving her a slight nod as he walked away in the other direction.

"Really Lucine?" Bella asked as they rounded the corner. Lucine shrugged. "He was going to walk away a few seconds after I would've walked up. If anything I saved you." Bella rolled her eyes. Bella was about to speak when Lucine caught her. "And yes, it won't happen again, I promise."

Bella wrapped her arm around her sister's shoulder. Them being fraternal twins, Lucine was a smidge shorter than her sister. "I hope you keep your promise, Swan." She said making Lucine laugh as they walked to their next class.

***

School was over, Lucine quickly put her jacket back on as soon as they stepped outside, forgetting just how cold it was. "As much as I love the gloomy weather of Forks, I'll never get used to this cold." Bella laughed, Lucine's chattering teeth could be heard as clear as day.

The girls stood outside their truck for a bit as Bella looked through her bag, sneaking small looks at Edward. Lucine looked towards the Cullens, making eye contact with Rosalie, and waved with a smile.

Suddenly, something felt off. Lucine ran through her brain as if she was forgetting something. Tires started screeching against the road as Tyler's van started scudding towards them. Lucine stated as the van got closer.

She looked over at Bella and saw the fear in her eyes. Lucine stood in front of her sister, holding her close as they fell to the ground. Lucine hoped and prayed that Edward would show up before they got hit.

A few seconds passed and the impact never came. Lucine looked up to find Edward crouched above them, a hand in the indent on the van. Bella looked up at Edward in shock. Edward couldn't keep his eyes off Bella. He looked at Lucine for a second as she gave him a nod to go before everyone showed up.