Chapter 22

The worst part about being an on call doctor is the fact that you can't just simply turn your phone off when you don't want to be bothered with annoying phone calls.

Well actually, I've never really ever turned my phone off except for when I was at sea cause it was kind of no point leaving your phone on anyhow cause most of the time you didn't get a signal once you left the coastline.

So by the time I had taken a shower and gotten dressed I was in a foul mood from the fact that Xavier was not getting the hint. I considered blocking his number but a small part of me realised that the would just find another phone to ring me on.

Just before the boys were due to hop off the bus, I gave up and answered his dam call.

"For the love of God Xavier, what part of ignoring your call do you not get" I hissed into the phone.

I hear him snicker as he said "I never knew you were religious." Of all the dumb responses he could have picked at this moment in time, he tried to go with humour.

I don't have time to deal with his bullshit so I respond flatly with "Stop calling me. I don't want anything more to do with your stupid club and I definitely don't want anything more to do with you. Don't call me and forget about me and my surgery doing you guys anymore favours."

"Really Lia, your going to get all defensive cause I hit a nerve today?" He says and I feel the hackles going up on my back as I try to think of what to say but in the end I come up blank and just hang up the call.

As if just on time I hear the boys come barreling down the path to the front door. Tossing my phone on the hall table near the door, I open it as I hear them trampling on the porch.

"Mum!" Yells Sebastien as he jumps into my arms. "I feel like I have not seen you for ages." I let out a laugh as I respond "But I only saw you this morning when I dropped you at school?" He holds my face in his hands and rubs his nose on mine " I know mum, but it feels like ages."

I turn to see Will and he looks like he is deep in thought. Trying to catch his attention "Hi buddy, how was your day?"

It's like I've broken his concentration "Hi mum. It was ok." He seems to realise that I am watching him as he changes his facial features to give me a quick smile. I feel like I should press him for more but I wonder if maybe I should let him come to me when he feels like he wants to share what ever has caught his attention.

I herd them towards the kitchen so that I can start putting together some afternoon tea. I do enjoy the fact that with taking on the surgery I have so much more freedom to be able to spend time with the boys.

I watch as Will pulls out his homework and spreads it on the table. "So what are we tackling today buddy?" I ask as I look over his shoulder. I notice him slipping an envelope quickly back into his bag.

Torn between wanting to ask him about it or not, I take the later option and choose to ignore it at the moment in hopes that he will bring it up in his own time.

"Well mum, we have an assignment to work on about local history. I was thinking about doing it on Grandpa and the history of the surgery?" He says handing me a a note that explains the information with regards to the assignment.

Reading over it I respond "That would be pretty great, I'm sure Grandpa would make a good candidate for your assignment." Looking at the introduction, I think back to some of dads greatest achievements from when I was younger and I find it hard to just pick one.

Dad was always involved in the community, he pretty much immersed himself in all things that had to do with our hometown. He was well known and generally well liked by all who knew him.  I could never think of a time when he ever had an issue with anyone.

I do remember when many would question his involvement with the club and Micky Tanner but Dad would always respond that Micky was his best friend and that is all that they needed to know.

"Mum, did you hear what I said? Do you think Aunty Mae would have some photos that I can use?" His voice pulls me from my thoughts' "Yes buddy, I reckon she would have quite a few around here. Let's have a look on the weekend." I respond as I place the assignment sheet down next to his homework and make my way back to the finishing making afternoon tea.

"Hello guys, what's for afternoon tea?" I freeze when I recognise the voice. Turning around on the spot I see Xavier standing in the doorway to the kitchen looking at what is going on. I turn back and quickly finish what I am cutting up, handing the plates to Sebastien to set on the table so that they can eat.

"I'll be back in a few minutes boys, I need to speak to Xavier." I say as I move past Xavier and wave him to follow me towards the door and out onto the patio.

Spinning around on the spot when we are both outside, I whisper yell "What the fuck are you doing here? What part of 'I don't want anything to do with you' did you not get?"

Xavier shuts the door and stalks towards me, grabbing me by the shoulders and pulling me in closer to him. I can't look at him cause I am so mad at him, so I concentrate on the floor.

"I'm Sorry Lia. I'm sorry that I said those things to you but you have to understand that I didn't mean to treat you like that." He says and places his hand under my chin, lifting my face up so that I am looking him in the eyes.

Looking at him I can see the concern in his eyes as he studies my face, waiting to see how I will respond. Part of me just wants to knee him in the balls but another part is generally way to upset about how he spoke to me.

"Why" is all I can muster to ask. Xavier leans his face down so that his forehead is touching him and says "Cause you don't need to be seen to be associated with us. He needed to think that there is no connection between you and the club so that whatever he is fishing for does not connect back to you. I can't have you dragged into any of this."

"Oh" is all I say as I can't quite comprehend what Xavier is on about. Did he know something that I didn't know about? Was there more to the issues that had been going on for the club. My mind was so lost in thought that I don't think I even make sense when I say "Why Me?"

Pushing forward he captures my lips with his and moves so that he can scoop me up into him. I take a few seconds to register what is happening but I feel all my anger wash away as I move with him, running my tongue along his bottom lip as if I am asking permission for him to open his mouth.

He runs his hands down the sides of my arms and over my hips until both palms are cupping my ass. With a gentle push, he moves me so that I automatically jump up and wrap my legs around his waist, crossing my feet over to connect behind his back as I wrap my hands around his shoulders, pushing my hand up and through his hair.

He walks backwards towards the patio lounge and sits down, leaning his back against the cushions without breaking us apart. I push up into him more as he holds me to him, pouring so much passion in to his kissing. I feel like I can't get enough as I too fight to take control of the situation. I feel myself getting breathless but I don't want to stop.

As if he can read my mind, Xavier runs his hand through my hair and cups the back of my head, pulling me backwards to break the kiss.

Panting we both stare at each other. I try and move forward, wanting more but Xavier only pecks me on the lips and moves his head back.

"We need to slow down, we are not alone here Lia." He teases, running his thumb along my bottom lip. I chuckle as I think about the fact that he is quite right and how my boys have a tendency to walk in on situations.

"I really didn't mean to upset you. I just was angry at how you were on a date with the detective and how he was acting around you. I may have been a little jealous and my words probably reflected that but never doubt that I would do anything for you. I can't loose you again." Xavier says as he continues to move his thumb from my bottom lip to along my cheek.

"What do you mean loose me again?" I reply. He sighs "When you left me and never said good bye."