Chapter 9

Heading out from the house, I silently closed the side gate so that I didn't wake anyone. It was still early, with the sun only just beginning to rise. I popped in my earbuds  and turns up my music as I began to stretch my legs and start heading down the road at a steady pace.

My mind ticks over everything. Life has been pretty boring for the last few weeks. I hadn't seen Xavier since the night I lost my shit at him and I felt guilty about it all but on the other hand, he needed to know.

The kids have gone really well in settling into school. I think they are super happy cause Aunty Carrie is the principal, so they get a few perks sometimes.

We finally tackled all the filing and Caden has been a whizz in setting up our new computer system. It is so easy that even Mae can use it. Seth has an assessment coming up, so we have been practicing on pigs and what ever else the local butcher can get his hands in. He is a nervous wreck but as long as I keep baking ingredients on hand, he has an outlet to calm down.

I decided to take up jogging in the mornings as it was suggested by my therapist. I had talked to her about how when I was trying to get into shape prior to my service training I found that jogging was a simple way. I'd forgotten about it over the years so she thought it might be a good idea to take it up.

As I rounded the shops and made my way down to the park at the waterfront, I let the rhythm of the music guide how fast or slow I would travel. I come down the road towards the park and I nearly run smack into Xavier.

He is standing there on the middle of the track checking his phone.  I pop out my earpiece
"Sorry, I wasn't paying attention."

As I go to turn away from him, he says. "It's ok, I was waiting for you."

I look him up and down as this is the first time that I've seen him not in his usual black jeans and Wanderers vest. He has on a pair of black basketball shorts and a singlet which shows off his muscular chest and assortment of tattoos. I quickly look at his face as I don't want him to get the wrong impression.

"I like to run alone, I'm a big girl and can look after myself." I say.
"I don't doubt your skill, I just think that's you haven't been here for a while and this town has changed a lot since you left. What are you listening too?"He replies.

I hand him over the ear piece and he pops it into his ear. Before I can argue he starts to lightly jog away from me.

"Are you coming?" He turns his head to ask me. He's flashing the 'famous Tanner toothy grin' that was usually a guaranteed panty dropper to all the girls we went to high school with but I'd grown accustomed to it, that it never worked on me.
I just shook my head, the bastard did that on purpose and take off to catch up to him.

We follow the waterfront and make our way around the point towards the Ferry Terminal. As we get near the barges, Xaviers arm shoots out in front of me and I nearly topple over. He drags me to the side of the bin shelters and motions for me to look towards the barges.

As I look, I see a group of men loading on some large shipping containers. There are 2 all up and about 10 guys all standing around talking to the Terminal Master. They give him something and then he just walks away. The containers are loaded in minutes and then the barge signals that it is ready to depart.

"Who are they and why are we hiding here?" I ask Xavier.
"They are a club from over Logan way called the Bandits. They are a nasty bunch, into drugs and prostitution. Have caused a hell of a lot of trouble for us over the years but we've started to notice that they seem to be relocating gear over to the Islands." Xavier replies.

We watch as the barge leaves and the remaining bikers all peel out of the carpark.

"So do the police know about this?" I ask.
"Of course they know, they are probably in their pocket as well." Xavier replies while he watches the barge pull out of the terminal and head into the channel that leads to Macleay Island.

"That's why there was the incident a while back here at the terminal. I had some of my guys tailing a few Bandits and they ended up here. It spooked them enough to not attempt another barge transfer for a little bit but it seems that they have just changed their times to early mornings." Xavier mumbles like he is thinking out loud.

I look at him and just observe his features while he is looking at the barge and trying to work out the haulage company by trying to see what is on the shipping containers. "Is it a horse or a man" he says.

As I'm gazing at his face, I see the truck that was carrying the shipping containers do a u turn and I see the symbol on the door. I interrupt him "it's a centaur."

"A what?" He asks while gives me a quizzical look.
"A centaur, half man half beast. Remember history class? Oh, you probably don't cause you used to always skip it." I reply.

I whip out my phone and start googling trucking companies who have a centaur as their symbol and find that there is only 1 company - Centurion Haulage. I show Xavier and he takes a snapshot and sends it to his phone.

"Holy crap, I have to get home!" I cry as I look at my watch. "I'll walk back with you." Xavier says as we turn and head back towards my place.

As we come in through the back driveway, I see that his bike is in my carport.
"Did you drive here?" I ask
"Yes. Mae told me that you had already left, so I just guessed what your path would be. You know that you are pretty predictable. You need to be careful, what if I was going to kidnap you?" Xavier says.

I just burst out laughing.
"What's so funny?" Xavier says.
"You, thinking that I'm some helpless little lady that might get kidnapped." I say through giggles.
"So you think you could defend yourself against someone like me?" He replies.
"Totally. Remember how I threw you out of my surgery?" I say.
"That was one time and I was not on my game." He replies.
"Ah ha, sure, tell yourself what ever you want so that you can sleep better at night." I say as I start to walk towards the back door.

Xavier smirks and says "Can I use your shower? I need to do some errands and it saves me going back home and coming back to this side of town."
"Ah Ok." I reply as I unlock the door.

As we go inside I hear that the 2 monkeys are up and barreling down the stairs. I push Xavier back as I know exactly what is gong to happen.

"Mum, mum! Happy Birthday!" They yell as they launch off the stairs and spring into my arms. Sebastien looks over my shoulder and sees Xavier standing behind me.

He whispers "Hay mum, that's the man from when we first came here. I thought you said you didn't know him?"

Agh, kids, always telling the truth, whether you want to hear it or not.

"This is Xavier, I used to go to school with him." I reply. "Now head into the kitchen as I have to show Xavier where the towels are."

They boys take off while I escort Xavier upstairs.
"Towels are in the last door opposite the bathroom." I say as I turn to leave.

"Is it your birthday today? I'm sorry, I didn't realise" Xavier says.
"Well we are only a month apart. Don't stress, you never remembered." I say as I continue down the stairs.