Chapter 5.

I enter the back door through the laundry and dump my gear on the floor. My clothes smell and I'm debating whether I should wash or toss them in the bin. I hate wasting stuff though so I strip down to my underwear and throw it all in the washing machine to debate about later.

As I duck up stairs and wonder if Holden will have much luck finding the other person. It was a lot of blood for one person to loose.

As I'm standing in the shower letting the water run over me, I start to hear voices coming from downstairs. I turn off the taps and get out to dry myself while listening to see if I hear them again.

My thoughts get the better of me, so I throw on a tank top and shorts and head downstairs. As I round the corner towards the surgery I hear Mae and I calm down. She probably is just working back or sorting those files that I keep meaning to archive.

I push open the door and say "Hi Mae, it's just me. That scene was a bust. One body and just a shit load of blood." I'm not really focused on anything as I enter the room but when I look up, I can't quite comprehend what is happening.

Mae is leaning over someone who is laying on the bed while another bloke is handing her stuff. She turns her head to face me and I can see that she is shocked that I am there. "Mae, what the heck is going on?" I ask as I approach her.

I hear him before I see him "Fuck off lady, this is none of your business." Xavier stalks towards me to push me back out the door. I hold my ground
"This is my surgery, so this is my business." I say directly back to him and then push past him to talk to Mae.

"Mae, What is going on?" I ask again and she moves aside so that I can see the patient. After a quick scan the first thought in my mind is that now I know where all that blood came from.

"Why is he here? He needs a hospital." I say to Mae.
"I know, it's just that with a gunshot wound it will involve the police and then they will put two and two together with regards to the scene down at the ferry terminal today." Mae says.

"Mae, I can't risk this." I reply
"Please honey, this is part of our connection to the Wanderers and how your father had a deal with Mickey. Please just help out with this one. We have all the supplies here." Mae gives me a pleading look.

I give out a frustrated groan and then Xavier starts again "You need to get your shit together and sort this out." He's angry and he keeps pacing the floor running his hands through his hair.

"You need to calm down and let me look at this." I say to Xavier in my best fake calm voice as I go over to the patient. "Do we have anything on this guys medical history?" I ask Mae.
"Why do you need his fucking history, just fix him!" Xavier yells at me.

I've had it with his pushy attitude and the situation I'm in. Xavier strides up to beside me and says "His name is Ryker Mason, he's 26 and has no allergies. What else do you need to know?" I go over to the wound side of Ryker and have a look. It's a through and through so no need to take out a bullet.

Xavier is leaning over me as I examine the wound and he is totally getting into my personal space. "Can you please step back and let me do my job?" I say to him.
"Just hurry up, he looks terrible and we need to get him home!" Xavier is yelling at me again.

I look at Mae and mouth 'distract him'. Mae nods and makes her way around the office and starts to ask Xavier some questions. He turns his back to me and answers her questions. He is frustrated as he flings his arms around. I don't stop to think about it, I just grab his right arm and I twist it behind his back. He tries to swing around but I capture his left arm and shove them both behind him. He is probably a good foot taller than me but I've been trained in how to handle people in these situations.

I think I've shocked him with my strength as I begin to shove him towards the doors. I used his body as a battle ram and push the double doors open. I quickly scan the waiting room as I see about 10 bikers all sitting there. One of them catches my eye as I push Xavier towards him.

"Slats, muzzle him and keep him out here. If he comes in, I'll kill him." I say to Slater.
"Holy Fuck Amelia, I'll take him from here." Slater jumps up almost like he is shocked to see me as he grabs his brother.

Xavier snaps his head around and looks at me. He has a look of shock on his face and all he gets out is "Lia" as I dump him in Slaters lap and head back into the room.

————
I finish cleaning up the mess as Mae tells the others how it all went. I'm so tired and I don't realise that Xavier is behind me when I turn to throw the rubbish into the bin. I jump.

"Sorry, I didn't mean to scare you." He says. I move past him to throw everything away. He seems more calmer now but he is not taking his eyes off me.

"Ryker is stable and I'd like him to stay here until he wakes up and I can check him over again." I say to Xavier. Xavier nods but still won't take his eyes off me.

I really don't know what to say. It's been a long time and I have no idea where to start. I just continue to stare at him, taking in all the changes that have happened to him. I notice that he has quite a lot of tattoos that seem to tell their own stories and with his rapid breathing, I can see the way he seems to be gulping back something he wants to say. I take in his chest and even though he is wearing a t shirt, I can see the muscle definition that shows that he must work out. 'Stop it Amelia, he's a dickhead that caused you so much pain' my mind kicks back in and I shake my head and move past him again.

"He needs rest. I'll stay with him and let you know what happens when he wakes up." I say as I go to drag over a chair.
"I'll stay with him." Xavier says.
"It's fine Xavier, I can do it." I reply.
Xavier raises his hand and wipes something off my cheek. It's blood, I still have to clean up myself. He looks me in the eyes and says in a calmer voice "I'll stay with him, you go and shower and get some sleep. I'll wake you if he wakes up." It's like he has already made up his mind and I just need to get with the program and do what he tells me.

I contemplate what he says and them do one last check over Ryker before heading to the door.
I turn to Xavier and say "I'm in" but before I finish he says while still looking at me "Your old room still?" I nod and walk out the door.