Chapter 25

I woke early the next morning to my phone going off and an empty bed.  Looking over at where Xavier was laying I think back to what had happened last night.

After last night and Xavier asking to stay with me, we made my way to my bedroom where I went about my routine of getting ready for bed whilst Xavier excused himself to go to the bathroom for a shower. 

It was funny how it had been so long since probably Xavier had been in this house but he seemed to know his way around it like he had been living there the past 20 years.

Moving around my room, I gather up my pyjamas and quickly change while a storm brews in my head about what to do next. I had all good intentions when I grabbed his hand and brought him up here but now, I actually have no idea what I want to do.

Looking around my room I at least have options that I can go with should I start to feel uncomfortable. I curse myself sometimes cause its like I get these small spirts of confidence and then I begin to second guess myself.

As I was pondering my thoughts, Xavier returns to my room with his towel wrapped around his shoulders and his clothes in his hand. He places then neatly over the edge of my sofa.

His movements are so natural and I find myself focusing on his muscles as he moves around my room, making his way to the opposite side of my bed. In my subconscious I had walked to the side which I prefer, so he must had taken it that he was to occupy the other side.

Looking at his side he asked me "Are you ok with me sleeping in the same bed as you, I could sleep on the sofa if you would prefer?" I just nod and go about slowly easing into my side and laying back on my pillow.

Xavier slips silently into the bed and glides closer to me, pulling me into him. I let out a gasp at the sudden movement but find that I am adapting quite well to the position of being tucked in under his arm with my head on his chest.

Yawning, I find that by just listening to his chest I feel myself lulling myself to sleep. I lay there and just enjoy the warmth of his body.  Feeling him move and kiss my on the head and he whispers "Good night".

Realising that I should answer my phone, I roll over and notice that there is a post it note stuck to my phone from Xavier but I'll read that later as I need to answer this call.

"Hello, Dr Baxter." I answer.

"Good Morning Dr Baxter, this is Sgt Bryson of the Victoria Point Police. I have a few questions that I need to run past you but I would prefer to do it in person, do you mind if we meet up?" Says the Sargent.

I look at the time and realise that it is only about quarter past 8, so I have plenty of time before I have my first appointment. "Yes, I can do that, would you like to meet this morning?" I reply.

"Yes, that would be perfect. I am tidying up loose ends down at the ferry terminal, could we possibly meet there this morning?" He asks.

I ponder that thought, wondering what could possibly be left to tie up there, unless there was another crime committed. "Sure, I could be there by say 9?" I counter.

"That would be prefect" he replies. "I will meet you near the buildings where we were last time you were here with us."

I thank him and hang up the phone thinking that this gives me plenty of time to get the boys up and ready as Mae has offered to do the Saturday sports runs and activities, so I could do some weekend appointments as we come into flu season.

As if on cue, I hear the pattering of feet outside my door, so I prepare myself for the pending invasion from my own minions.

"Mum, are you awake?" I hear a little voice say as the door creaks open and a little head pops in. I pretend to be asleep as I hear them moving closer to my bed.

Feeling their presence, I can tell that they are right up on my left side as if they are trying to peek and see if I am awake.

"Roar!" I call out as I quickly scoop them both up and into my bed. "Mum, you tricked us" Sebastien says as I flip him onto his back and start tickling his stomach.

Laughter is pouring out of us as Will tries to climb over me to try and stop me tickling Sebastien.
Between gasps and laughing, "Mum, please stop" he giggles.

I lay back and pull both the boys down with me. I feel like it has been ages since we had just spent some time as just the three of us and I make myself a mental note to plan that we go out somewhere tomorrow.

"So today Aunty Mae is going to take you both to Football and then probably lunch. Do you think you two can be on your best behaviour?" I ask them. They both nod and snuggle in closer to me.

Will is playing with my hair and looks lost in thought as Sebastien claims that he is about to wet the bed if I don't let him go.

"What are you thinking about Will?" I ask as his brother takes off out of the room.

"I got an invite to a party next weekend but I don't feel right going?" He says as he picks up the post it note and fumble it in his fingers.

"Why don't you want to go?" I ask, remembering the envelope that I found in his bag.

"Well, Jessica in my class gave me the invite, I was playing with Jack and she told him that he was not invited cause he his dad is a dirty biker and that they all know that the bikers are all bad people." He responds. "I like Jack, he is my best friend and the nicest person I have met at school. I don't understand why she said that?"

I have to school my emotions and I dig to try and find a more appropriate thing to say.

"Well buddy, sometimes some people get scared about what they don't understand and that leads to them forming opinions that are not always true. Now, we know Jack and his dad plus we know Tyler, Slater, Xavier & Mia, is there anyone who you would think is bad?." I offer.

He thinks about my words and responds "No, I like them all, they are nice. Tyler looks after us and plays games, Uncle Slater loves us and Xavier is so much fun. He looks after us and plays games. I really like Xavier."

"That right buddy, they are all close to us and have never been bad from what we can tell but that is because we know them and have spent time with them. Maybe once Jessica spends more time with Jack, she might realise that he is nice too." I reply

"Your right Mum, I will see if she will play with us this week and get to know Jack better." He says as he slips over and give me a hug. "You are so smart mum."

I chuckle at him but I never give up on the opportunity for a hug, so I pull him in for a tight one.

We hear Mae call out that breakfast is ready and he wriggles to get out of my hold as I loosen my grip on him. He goes to slide off my bed when he remembers that he has the post it note in his hand and gives it to me.

Looking down at the note, I can tell its Xaviers chicken scrawl writing as he has:

Dinner at the club for everyone tonight. I'll pick you guys up. Xavier xx