Chapter 18

Sitting at the desk in the surgery, I stretch back in my chair and try to clear my mind. So much has happened in the last few days that I just need to find a minute of peace for my mind to take a break.

I was not prepared for when Xavier found the boards in the garage, heck, I had not even gotten my head around what dad was on to with the information, let alone being able to explain it all to Xavier.

Scrubbing my hands over my face, I think back to how he just stared at me, listening to what I had to say. He never interrupted me and I felt that the longer he started at me, the more that I began to ramble. He was too quiet and I couldn't stop myself from trying to say something to get him to react.

In the end, Xavier just nodded and told me that he had to get going. The problem was that he didn't even look at me when he spoke, it was like he could not even hold my gaze. When he left, he said that he would call me tomorrow, but it had been 3 days now and each time I picked up my phone to call him, I would end up backing out because I thought that maybe I should give him some more space.

Lost in my thoughts, I didn't hear the door open nor someone enter the surgery. But the sudden movement though catches my eye and I leap out of my chair, startling them. When I focus on their face, I realise that it is the young lady from the night of my birthday, I think her name was Mia.

"OMG Amelia, I am so sorry, I knocked but when I saw you here so lost in thought, I gathered you didn't hear me." Mia says as she gingerly steps forward.

I quickly change my stance, "I'm so sorry, I have just had a few things going on lately, but please, take a seat." I wave my hand towards the chairs near the coffee table as I make my way around the desk and head towards a chair myself.

I have never like talking with patients from behind a desk and when you are on a ship, you don't get that type of luxury, so I found that I am accustomed to just sitting wherever the patient feels comfortable.

Mia picks an old armchair that sits next to the window. " I don't mean to take up your time, I was only going to see about booking in for a appointment to come and have a chat with you to get your perspective." She responds as she takes a seat.

I know that my schedule is pretty empty at the moment "I have time now if you are not busy?" I offer her. Mia looks around as if she is debating her words and it makes me wonder what she is concerned about.

She makes eye contact with me and I can see these flickers of confusion in here eyes. "OK, if you are sure that is?" She responds and I give her a quick nod.

She fiddles with her hands in her lap and then takes in a deep breath, looking back up at me "I'm not sure how much you know about what has been happening here over the last few years but a little while back, Jae, Rykers son, & I were kidnapped by a group of men who wanted to get the clubs attention."

I move forward on my seat, making sure that I am giving her my full attention. I had heard conversations about issues that club has had with another club called The Bandits but not a great deal of information has been shared about all the issues that they had had.

"I went through all the mandatory psychology sessions, I mean I work in child psychology so I understand the process of talking through situations but I have unanswered questions that I can't get answered in a therapy session." She says as she shifts herself to a more comfortable position.

I ponder what she thinks I will be able to help her with. I mean I hardly know her or about the situation that the club is in, but I will try my best to help her in anyway that I can.

"I feel that I have processed the kidnapping and what happened, I mean to be honest, I was treated quite well by them but I just keep thinking about what I was told when they had me at the warehouse. My mind keeps going over Eric's words and how there is so much more to the story about my parents and their history. I mean before the kidnapping, I was so young when my parents died so I had an understanding of who my parents were through what my uncle & aunt told me from growing up, but after it all. I just have so many questions, ones that even my uncle and aunt can not fill."