Chapter 20

I don't even need to look up to know who is coming up the stairs of the deck and making their way towards us. I can sense when Xavier Tanner is around even a mile away from the heaviness of his steps and the smell of his cologne.  I keep myself facing towards Holden, wondering how he is going to react to Xavier turning up to our lunch date out of the blue.

"Detective Holden, nice to see that you do like to take a break sometimes. I see that you have met the local Doc?" He coolly says as he pulls out the seat next to me and sits down without evening waiting to be invited. I take the opportunity to take a quick peak at his face but all I get back is a closed off, stern look that seems to make me feel a little uneasy wondering what he is thinking.

Holden addresses Xavier "Hello Mr Tanner, nice to finally get to meet you in person. I have heard a lot about you but I'm not one to believe all the rumors" I am impressed that he can hold his facial features because Xavier tends to have this overbearing presence, especially when he is meeting someone that he wants to prove who is the more dominate one in the conversation.

Xavier leans back in the chair and chuckles to himself "Oh Detective, I am glad to see that you are not swayed by the misguided assumptions of the Victoria Point Police station. They do tend to make quite a few false assumptions when it comes to me and my club."

The two men look like they are going to continue pussy footing around and I feel that we need to the point of his visit. "I see the rumor mill still works quick in this town, what do we owe for the pleasure of your acquaintance?" I ask hoping to get to the point of why he felt the need to make an appearance.

"Well Doc, I just have been wanting to meet the new detective " is all he says and I give him a stern look trying to get him to say more. He turns to Holden and says "I see that you guys have had a few issues again down at the Ferry Terminal?"

Feeling like I want to slap him for going straight to the point, I keep my mouth shut hoping that Holden will lead on this as I am still trying to maintain my distance from the club. Holden looks to be regarding what Xavier had said to him "Why Mr Tanner"

Xavier interrupts "Please detective call me Xavier, Mr Tanner sounds like your are talking to my father."

"Well Xavier, I am wondering why you would think that we would be discussing something like that on a day off, I would not think that talking shop would be a great conversation to have on a first date." Holden responds and I can see a flash of anger go through Xavier's face.

I was taking a sip of my drink at the time and I choke at the words as I start to scramble words together to respond. I had not idea this was going to be a date, what the heck is Holden trying to do I wonder as I see Xavier looking at me "A date hey?" he says as he flicks his eyebrows up to show me that he is not impressed by this.

I place my glass down on the table and give him my best smile "Holden asked me to lunch to discuss some things that we have been working on. He wanted to gain my opinion on a few things." I don't dismiss what Holden has said, but I also don't confirm it either.

Holden takes back the conversation "So what you are saying is that your club don't know what happened that night nor were they involved?"

"That seems a little direct don't you think detective?" Xavier responds "I mean, my club as you know is all about motorcycles, what interest would we have in boats?"

"Well its not a case of being interested in boats Xavier, its more about what they can do. I have heard that there has been a lot of movements happening on the islands at the moment?" Holden asks.

I can't help myself "What would you think that the Wanderers would want to do with all the building on the islands at the moment?" I had forgotten about all that was going on over there at the moment.

Xavier gives me a look like he is bored of my presence and leans into me to say "Look Doc, I don't think this really has anything more to do with you. You may think that you know us all but lets be honest, its been years since you really had anything to do with the club and we all know that you tend to stick you nose into things that are none of your business." He keeps staring at me like he is wanting to see if I will challenge him.

I can feel the anger rising inside of me from his words. Never have I ever tried to act like I knew what was going on with the club and never would I ever say that I did. I mean heck, I was even preparing to think of how I was going to react if Holden had worked out who it was who had lost all that blood down at the terminal that night. I can feel myself about to get ready to respond when Xavier puts in the final knife.

"Run along Amelia, you need to let the boys talk now." he spits out and all I can see is blind hot rage as I push back my chair and pick up my drink, throwing the remainder of it square in his face. I can see his jaw start to tick and I know that I have really pissed him off.

"Fuck you Xavier, I have never assumed that I have any connection to your stupid club. I've never been apart of your club and I never will. Thank you for once again for reminding me of why I hate you."  I probably could say a whole lot more but right now, I want to maintain my distance from the club and from Xavier along with not say anything that I might regret later.

Turning to Holden I say "I'm so sorry Holden for this.  Xavier has tended to always have to take part in ruining everyone lives, so I apologize for his pigheadedness. Thank you so much for lunch and I hope that we can work together in the near future."  I curse myself for apologizing for the asshole but it was all I could think of as I look for my bag, opening it for my keys and then swiftly heading away from the table.  

Making it to the top of the steps, I feel a hand grabbing my elbow and I turn around ready to punch whoever it is in the face. "Woo there Amelia, I just wanted to make sure that you were ok?" Holden had come up behind me and had a look of concern on his face. I lower my fist, feeling a little ashamed for what I nearly did.

"I'm fine Holden, I just need to get out of here before I punch someone in the face." I respond and he lets our a chuckle. He leans in closer so that only I can hear him "Don't worry about him, the Alpha of a pack always likes to let others know what is his in his territory."

I let out a snort laugh as I wonder how the heck he got to that conclusion "Oh far from it" I say "I am no where near his." I can feel Xaviers eyes on us and I act on instinct as I lean in and give Holden a kiss on the cheek quickly saying 'Thank you' before turning on my heel and heading straight to my car.

I hear Holden call out from behind me "I'll call you later" to which I hear Xavier respond "Don't bother". I don't even react, I just keep my shoulder straight and my head up as I make my way to my car.

As I get to my door, I see Ryker standing near the front of my car with an apologetic look on his face as he approaches me "I'm sorry Amelia, Mia came to tell Knuckles and I but Xavier was in the office and once he heard that you were meeting Holden for lunch, he took over the conversation wanting to know what was going on."

As much as I was angry, I could not hold it against Mia and the guys. Letting out a breath that I must had been holding onto  "Its Ok Ryker, I'm not angry at you guys or Mia. Please let her know." I say as I pat him on the arm that he has placed on the top of my door as he opens it so that I can get into the car.

Looking over at the men on the deck at the Bakery he says out loud "I've not seem him like this in a long time." Confused, I look over to see Holden taking his seat and Xavier talking to him. "What do you mean?" I ask Ryker. 

He shuts my door when I am in my seat and I wind down my window so that he can lean in to talk to me "Protective, except for with Bernice, I've not seen him so protective over someone in a long time." 

"Well his club probably means everything to him Ryker, but that is no excuse for acting like an asshole" I respond as I start the car and turn the radio down. Ryker moves away from the window but as he goes he says "Its not about the club Amelia, its all about you."

I just shake my head and say goodbye as I pull out of the carpark and make my way on the road that leads to my place. I am still stewing on what happened and I mentally make note that I am going to keep clear of the club and have nothing further to do with Xavier Tanner.