Chapter 2

As we exit the Bakery, I stop to take in my surroundings and pop the baked goods in the car, remembering that we still need to pop into the IGA. As I turn back and lock the car, I feel someone stalk past me and then growl "Watch where you are walking!"

I whizz around and see Sebastien has collided with a tall, bulky man wearing motorcycle colours. I recognise them straight away, the local group called The Wanderers. I rush up to Sebastien and pull him to me as the man turns and starts into me "I'm sure that Centrelink pays YOU to look after your offspring."

Now this bloke is pissing me off and as I square myself up to look up at him, I straight away recognise the sharp green eyes that are now glaring back at me. Xavier Tanner - biggest dickhead I've ever known. I hated this guy with a passion all through high school, he just always seemed to go out of his way to annoy me, like hurting me was his favourite past time. Man has he aged. He has lost his boyish looks and grown into a man. His hair is still the same though, jet black and messy.

"Pull your head in Xavier, it was just an accident." I say as I take Sebastien's hand and start to walk away.

"How dare you, who do you think you are!" He spits out as he goes to stop me from walking away by grabbing my shoulder. Straight away my thoughts realise that he hasn't recognised who I am. I guess that would be possible as we have not seen each other for nearly 20 years and I know that I look completely different from the 17 year old who wore glasses, had a face full of pimples, short brown hair and was all puppy fat.

I push his hand off my shoulder and sarcastically say "None of your business who I am." as I continue to drag the boys to the IGA.

"Mum, who was that man?" Sebastien asks me as he looks back behind us. "He's no one baby, no one we need to know." I reply loud enough so that Xavier can hear me. Next I hear Xavier stomp off and I know that he has not bothered to follow us.

As we enter the IGA I see Mayor Green and Colin pressed up against the shop window and nearly run into Jeff who for some strange reason is carrying cricket bat whilst heading out the door.

"OMG Amelia, I was heading out in case you needed help with Xavier." Jeff says.

"With a cricket bat, what were you going to do?" I giggle as I take in his appearance.

"Ok, so maybe I was going for more of a scare tactic then actually having to use it. Look, it was all happening so fast and that was the closest thing I could find." Jeff replies. I engulf him in a hug.

"I love how you had good intentions but I can handle Xavier Tanner." I reply.

Colin lets out a gulping noise and grabs me from behind for a hug.

"Times have changed baby girl, Xavier is not the same punk teenager that you used to have to deal with." Colin says.

Mayor Green scoops the boys in. "My bambinos!" She cries and kisses the boys all over their faces. There is bright red lipstick everywhere. She is the most outgoing lady I know, has run unapposed for the last 3 terms as the Mayor and everyone reckons that the only way a new person will come into office will be when she retires.

We all laugh as the boys try to wipe their faces.
"OMG Amelia, they have grown up so big." Colin says as he hugs the boys.
"Uncle Col, did you get those comics that we were talking about? Will asks.
"Of course, lets head out the back and we can grab them." He puts his hand out and both boys grab him.

Mayor Green turns to me. "I'm so sorry for your losses." She is rubbing my shoulder as she says it.

"Thank you." I reply. I find it is easier to just reply in a short general term rather then think of something specific to say. She gives me a kiss on the cheek and then her phone rings, she quickly says goodbye and dashes out the door.

"So, everything is sorted for tomorrow. You don't have to worry about a thing" Jeff says as he packs a few things in a box that I had grabbed while the boys were distracted with Colin.

"Are you sure that there is nothing that I can do?" I ask. I've felt so out of the loop as the town just seemed to take over all the functions of this funeral and litterally all I have had to do is turn up.

"Your dad is/was loved by this town and we are all determined to help out in any way we can. Plus, we wanted to show you what you have been missing and that we all love you and want you to stay here forever." Jeff replies in his all to dramatic way. He always has had a flair for the theatrics.

"Thank you, it means so much to me." I say to him. I can feel some tears starting to build. Jeff quickly pulls out some tissues and wipes my eyes.

"Save all the tears for tomorrow and then let them all out so that when you leave that cemetery, there will be no more tears to shed." He replies. I can see that he too is holding back his own as he gives me the tissues.

The boys come barreling back in with Colin following. He seems to understand that we have had a moment as he sidles up to Jeff and puts his arm around his waist while he runs his hand up my arm in a comforting way.

"Oh well, we best be going. Aunty Mae is waiting for us and we all know how she gets when someone is late." I say as I usher the boys to the door.

Both the guys laugh and bit us farewell as we head out the door.