Chapter 15

Sitting at the table, I had begun searching google while the guys and Mae were in the garage for any information that I could find around Mickey's death. There were some articles about the incident and notices in the obituaries but nothing that really stood out.

I felt like a bit of a bad friend as I had never really looked much into it all back when he had died. Dad had just kept me up to date on what was happening and how the family was going but I never pressed for any information.

Seeing those boards made me realise just how much Mickey's death had affected him. Mickey was Dad's best mate. They had grown up together with Dad & Mae spending a better part of their life in the Tanner household.

The only part that had me confused was why he kept them hidden. Even Mae had no idea they were there as she admitted she avoided the garage as much as possible due to the amount of boxes Dad had stored in there.

Looking up from my phone,  I see Roo coming back in from the garage. He is looking at his phone but smiles as he looks up at me and goes to pull a chair out from across the table from me.

"Want a cuppa Roo?" Mae asks as she comes in from the garage with Jo following and heads to the kettle.

"Yes thanks Mae." He answers as he pulls out a file from his satchel that he had placed next to the table and places it on the table.

"Now Amelia, before we go into anything. I need to know, how much do you want to know about this?"

I find it strange that he is asking me this question. But I can understand why he would have those thoughts as I am assuming that there is probably a lot going on that I don't know about.

"I want to know what my Dad was getting into. I want to know, what happened to Mickey." I respond as Roo nods and opens up a folder to the middle and points towards the police report. I lean over and see that it is a copy of the official report which explains what was found at the scene.

Roo settles back and says "Mickey's death had really shook your father. He was on the on call Doc at the time and had no idea what he was walking into that night when he was called to the scene."

I flicked the report over to see a set of hand written notes that I immediately recognised as my fathers handwriting. Looking over his words, I see that he had marked things that were outside the normal on scene doctors scope.

As I read on, I noticed a few sections that Dad had written that had me going back to the offical report to double check. One part that really stood out to me was where Dad had mentioned that there was multiple tyre marks near where Mickey was found but when I referenced the report, there was only the mention of a single tyre mark heading away from the scene.

I turned the pages over until I got it the back page to see who was the producer of this report. I gasped when I realise that it was signed by a Constable Tex Bryson. The same police officer that I met the night of the incident at the Ferry Terminal.

I hadn't noticed that Jo had taken the seat next to me when he spoke "Yes, the now Senior Sergeant Tex Bryson.". He pulls out a file that he has and hands it to me.

"It seems that our Senior Sergeant has been involved in quite a few cases that revolve around The Bandits. I've been looking into his history but there seems to not be much about the man until he began his career at the academy." Jo pulls out two more files and spread them over the table.

Mae puts the mugs on the table for us all then moves to the cupboard to pull out the tin of biscuits. We had to put the tin up high as the boys kept helping themselves to them all the time.

"Wait a minute guys" Mae says as she places the tin on the table and takes a seat on the other side of me. "What are you trying to say?"

Roo lifts up his mug and lightly blows on the top of the liquid before he takes a sip. From the look on his face, I can tell that he is thinking about his words.