Chapter 29

It's been two days since my run in with Xavier and I'm sitting on the bench on our back porch, watching the boys run around in the yard. My head is a mess, I just don't know what I want to do. Lost in my thoughts I don't notice Mae sit down next to me.

"Those Tanner boys always seem to mess with us Daniels women's minds." She chuckles as she looks at me for a response.

"Yeah but Uncle Gerard was your soulmate. He's nothing like Xavier." I reply. She looks at me with a side glance that tells me that she thinks I'm acting crazy.

"Did I ever tell you about how before I dated Uncle Gerard, I had actually been dating Mickey?" She says.

I pull out of my stupor and twist myself around so that I give Mae my full attention. I always knew that the families had been tight but I'd never known about that. I always just assumed Bernice and Mickey were high school sweet hearts.

"No, you and dad have never told me about that." I reply.

"Well, it was back in the year when your father had left for University and I was entering my final year of high school"

Bernice and I were the youngest and your father and Mickey had graduated the year before. At the time, Gerard was learning the ropes off his old man to take over his club at the time and your father had made the boys promise to keep an eye on me while he was away. I was the popular girl at school and he was worried that I would get distracted from my future plans as I had started to get asked out by boys and invited to parties.

It actually was never planned, Mickey used to always pick me up on the bike and rumours started to go around that I was dating a biker. My popularity soared and after a little while, I started to develop feeling for Mickey.

Then one night, I was at a party where this guy was getting a little too handsey. I'd yelled at the guy to stop but he kept trying to put his hands under my dress. Next thing I know Mickey has him by the throat up against the wall and makes him apologise to me. He then punched the guy in the jaw and told me that he was taking me home.

It was pouring rain, so we had to stop at the Garden Club shed, you know the one near the park, to wait the rain out. I was a mess, I'd never been in a situation like that before, heck I was still a virgin.

Mickey took his jacket off and tried his best to comfort me. In the moment, he kissed me. I was shocked but I started to kiss him back. We made love that night and then after that we were joined at the hip. Our relationship was more of a physical one compared to a conventional one, I stopped partying and focused on my school work while spending all my time with Mickey and his family. Gerard used to annoy the crap out of me, every time Mickey and I were mucking around in his room, Gerard would find a way to interrupt us or piss Mickey off. In the end we spent a lot of time at that Garden Club shed.

Mae takes a sip of her tea and I just stare at her, taking it all in. I know that I won't be able to look at that Garden Club shed the same as I used too. She starts up again.

I graduated high school and I started to question my choices about going to University. Mickey was no help, he was not much of a talker and he was not giving me any help as I was trying to make plans for 'our' future. His plans were to still be tied to the MC.

Gerard overheard us arguing one day and burst into the room. He went off, totally started yelling and telling us that we were being silly and that we needed to look at the bigger picture. He was sick of listening to us argue about our future, especially when I had a future already planned out but I was too stupid to not realise. Him and Mickey got into this huge punch up and I ended up having to get their dad to come and break it up. Mr Tanner said that it would be best if I leave and I was so upset that I took off home straight away.