Chapter 23

Xaviers POV

19 years ago

Groaning, I roll over and check my surroundings to realise that I had passed out in one of the club rooms with my mates.

Cole, my best mate, had turned 18 and we had all graduated from high school, so we all celebrated his birthday at the clubhouse in the traditional way.

Dad had even let Drew and I sneak a few beers, not enough to let us get drunk but just enough to have a bit of a vibe for the night. He had announced to the club that Cole & I were prospecting and Drew's dad had announced how Drew had gotten into the Army. So it was a celebration all round for us guys.

But right now I was laid out on my back listening to the farting and snoring coming from my mate who was face down on the couch and contemplating my day.

Figuring that I should get up and sort myself, I had decided that I needed to take charge of my life and as my brother Slater would always tell me 'To grow up and just tell her how you feel'.

In all the celebrating last night and with all the people who had been there, there was one person who had not even shown their face. The one girl who had been the star actress in many of my late night dreams.

Carrie had even told me that she was going to come with her dad and then when I had seen Doc Daniels and he had told me that she was there, I spent my time trying to keep an eye out for her but no matter how hard I looked for her, I could not find her.

She had been avoiding me for a few months now, barely saying more then a handful of words to me. Our senior year was a bit of a whirlwind and I admit that I had not tried to actively look for her too much but I had told myself that once school had ended and we had all graduated, Amelia Daniels was going to be mine.

I had loved her from the moment I had seen her playing in her cubby house in her backyard. Our parents had grown up together and when her father had moved back into our home town, my dad was straight on over there to help out with them moving in.

We had grown up together and had been close as peas in a pod when we were younger but as we got into high school, we started to mix in other crowds and then I don't know what happened, I'd probably chalk it up to stupid teenage hormones but I'd began to be a right dick to her for the last few years.

I was one of the popular kids in school being the fact that I was a Tanner and known to be a bit of a class clown where Amelia had her own popularity but our worlds were quite different by then.

I had been trying to improve my ways recently but she seemed to always be busy or never where I expected her to be. It was like she had taken up a new hobby that seemed to fill all her time.

After changing and heading out towards the main floor of the clubhouse, I duck past Mum and Dad's room, hoping to catch Dad to let him know that I'm heading out for a bit but their room was empty, so I figured that they must be out in the bar or office.

Entering the main floor, I noticed that it was pretty quiet. I went into my dads office that was behind the bar and saw that it was empty too.

Thinking it was strange, I headed back around the bar and found Knuckles coming out of the kitchen holding two mugs of steaming hot coffee.

"Good Morning sunshine, what are you doing up this early?" He asked, handing me a mug.

"I was looking for dad but where is everyone? Dad said that they were just going to stay here the night but their room was empty and so was the office?" I reply before taking a sip of my coffee. I hiss as the hot liquid hits my lips.

Knuckles lets out a chuckle "You goose, did you think I was going to blow on it for you to cool it down first?" He makes his way to his usual spot behind the bar and places his mug down on the bar top.

"They all headed round to Doc's place to say good bye to Amelia." He says as I watch him slip a nip of Bundy into his coffee.

I don't think my brain completely comprehended what he just said cause my only response was "What?"

Feeling like I've missed something, I move forward towards the bar and place my mug on the bar top.

Looking up at me puzzlingly he says "Ya Dad said that they were going over to Doc's place to say goodbye to Amelia, did you forget that she heads off to Sydney today?"

I begin to panic and start searching my pockets for my keys. By this time Drew has emerged from the rooms and is making his way towards me, still half asleep but he stops short, noticing my face "What's up man?" He asks.

I form the words in my head while I start searching the bar now, looking for my keys I respond "Did you know that Amelia was leaving today?" He nods, scrunching his eyebrows together as if he is thinking back to a previous conversation "Yeah, I thought you knew?"

Finally finding my keys which are sitting on a hook by the office door, I grab then and tear out of the clubhouse with Drew hot on my heels shouting "What is going on man?"

I go on instinct as I jump on my bike and throw my helmet on. Drew jumps on his bike and starts it up, waiting to see what we are doing. He can probably sense that I'm upset and gives me the space that I need yo sort my crap out.

"We have to get over to Doc Daniels place. I have to see her before she goes. I have to tell her Drew." I say as I start my bike up and back out. He just nods and follows me as we pull out of the compound and head up on to the main road.

It's a 8 minute ride from the compound to Doc Daniels place but I push the bike over the speed limit, rushing to try and get there quicker. I have this bad feeling in the pit of my stomach that something is not right and that I need to get there as quick as I can.

Finally pulling up into her street, I see her Dads car in the driveway and I feel myself calm down a little until I notice the car start and begin to reverse out of the driveway.

'No, no no.' Is al that is going through my head as I sharply pull up just near the curb near her place as I see Doc Daniels car start to move. Her Dad see's me and waves but I am in shock, there she is, sitting in the front passenger seat.

I feel like my feet are glued to the ground as I see the car passes me in slow motion. Trying to capture her attention I feel her suddenly look straight at me as she lifts her hand up and gives me the middle finger.

Gobsmacked, I just stand there watching the car head up the street and out of view. I don't notice my Mum wrapping her hand around my arm, shaking me to get my attention.

"I'm so sorry my love, she told me that she wanted to tell you herself but it seems that she couldn't find the words to tell you." She continues to rub my arm as if she is trying to sooth me.

Tears begin the well in my eyes as I loose all control
of my legs and crumble to my knees, cursing myself for not telling her sooner how I felt.