Chapter 30

Wiping my eyes with the back of my sleeve, I make my way to the door wondering who it might be. I'm not expecting anyone but it's not strange for there to be someone ringing the bell if it is an emergency.

As I look through the window I see Holden standing close and another man who was had his back to the door so I can't quite make out who the other man is.

Holden seems to keep checking his arcs like he is looking out for something or possibly someone. I catch a glimpse of his facial features and can see that he seems concerned about his surroundings.

I feel that I trust Holden, so I open the door.
"Hello Holden, what can I help you with?" I say as I can tell that he is eager to come inside. I stepped aside to let him and his companion come in.

"Thank you Amelia and I am sorry to be barging in on you at this time on a Sunday but something has been brought to my attention that I think we need to discuss." He responds as he move inside.

I am too intrigued with who he has brought with him that I wave for Holden to take a seat while focusing my attention on the other man.

Holden's companion is easily a foot taller then Holden but he seems to be hunched over as if he is trying to mask his true height and size.

He moves inside the room and I watch his fluid movements and there is something that captures me about him. He seems to be trying to conceal his face which on one hand makes my senses start to move into high alert but on the other hand I can't shake the feeling that he seems so familiar to me.

He moves to stand near Holden and it is like they both share a silent conversation as Holden nods and the man stands to his full height and goes to slip his hood back.

I don't know why, but I don't feel like I need to search the room for a weapon but I know that the closest exit is behind me.

As his hood drops down, I straight away recognise the face - Drew.

Spinning around I grab the closest thing I can find, a stapler of all things and throw it at him square in the face. I am sure that that was probably the stupidest thing that I could have done at that moment, but it was the only thing that I could find.

Groaning Drew says "For fucks sake Amelia" as he rubs his forehead while glaring at me.

"Holden, why the fuck did you bring him here." I call as I move around trying to work out where I left my phone.

Holden jumps up and gets between Drew and I. " Amelia, please, just calm down. Drew works for me." Holden says and I stop my frantic search, looking back at him with a confused look on my face.

"What do you mean?" I reply looking between Holden and Drew.

Rubbing his head as he moves closer to me he says "He means basically that if I was going to hurt you, I would had done it by now. Now please reframe from throwing any more pieces of Stationary at my head."

I still don't feel like I can trust what is going one but I need to play this out as the boys and Mae are only outside the house, so if this is going to go south, I need to be prepared.

Holden pulls a USB out of his pocket and hands it to me. "Please have a look at this, hopefully it will explain what is going on at the moment.' I take the USB from Holden and move towards my desk, flashing up my lap top.

"Explain" is all I ask and Drew stops rubbing his head and looks back at me.

"After the Army, I started working for the Government as an undercover officer. I utilised my talents to work my way into certain organisations where certain evidence is needed to prove that they are up to no good." Drew says as he takes a seat across from my desk and leans back as he gets comfortable.

Holden moves to come behind my desk so that he can see the laptop screen and motions to ask if he can drive. I push it towards him and signal for a chair that is nearby.

Holden pulls the chair over and says "I haven't been completely honest with you Amelia. I did transfer here to fill a space after David Cheung left but my reasons for coming here were because the department that I work for had reasons to believe that some members at the station out here were working for a suspected human trafficking ring. I had worked with Drew a few times in the past and I will admit, at first I had my suspicions as I knew that it involved a motorcycle club and with the issues happening in this town, my initial investigations was that this involved the Wanderers and Xavier but as I started to review some of the cases that had been happening here and in some of the surrounding districts, I started to wonder if there was another player in town."

He leans forward and starts to open up some of the files, they look like security footage from a warehouse loading dock. Holden plays the video and I watch as I see a van reverse up as close as possible as it can get it the doors. The van seems to sit there for a few minutes before the doors open on the warehouse and a man comes out.

He looks around and as he turns towards the camera, I catch a glimpse of his face, it is Eric and he seems to be trying it make sure that no one is watching before he seems satisfied and opens up the back doors to the van.

He seems to enter the van and then I see him pulling out two people, women, who have bags over their heads and seem to be struggling against his hold. I instantly move in my chair as I don't have a good feeling about what I am watching.

Eric drags the woman into the open warehouse doors and then I seen another man come out of the same warehouse doors to hop into the back of the van and close the doors from the inside. The van drives away as the warehouse doors close.

Holden pauses the video and then rewinds it right up to the point where the man who came out of the warehouse is in the shots and we can somewhat clearly see his face.

I realise as I look at the image on the screen that I recognise that smug face anywhere, its the one and only Sgt Tex Bryson.