Chapter 27

Pulling into the driveway, I'm still rattled from the encounter with Eric but as soon as I was in the car, I had all good intentions to ring Holden and tell him all about Brysons involvement with The Bandits but as I drove home, calming myself so that I could put rational thought before emotions into my words I realise that maybe I should hold off talking to Holden at the moment until I can confirmed what side he is working on.

Walking into the house, I push my thoughts to the side as I see that Mae and the boys are home and she is currently wrestling them to get into the shower.

"Is that you Amelia?" She calls out, probably hearing me as I close the door as I come into the house. I can hear the boys giggle as they are running around.

"Yes Mae, I'm on my way up to capture some escapees." I call out as I drop my phone and keys on the sideboard and make my way up the stairs, stamping my feet along the way as if I'm acting like a Giant. "Fe, Fi, Fo, Fum, I smell some dirty little boys who better run." I call out as I reach the top and make my way down the hallway.

#########

Xavier knocked on the door right at 5 o'clock, just as the boys and I had finished getting ready. Mae answered the door and began to take food that she had prepared from the kitchen to put in the back of his car.

"Hi boys, ready to have a fun night?" He calls out as the boys bound towards him. He wraps his arms around both of them and swings them up over his shoulders.

They squeal out as he turns and walks out the door with them both hanging over his shoulders.

"Need any help Mae?" I call out as I see her come past. "Oh yes dear, we have a few trays left to fit in the back and then ready to roll." She replies as she opens the fridge up.

I help her move the rest out to the car and see Xavier strapping in the boys. He seems to be able to interact with them with ease and they seem to have taken to him quite well.  I put the rest into the back and point Mae towards the front seat but she declines and slips into the back with the boys.

Xavier comes around to close the back of the car and leans forward to pull me into him for a quick and passionate kiss.

Pulling back from me, I'm still in a daze as he whispers "I missed you today." And then places a quick kiss on my lips and takes my hand, leading me to the passenger seat and opening the door so that I can climb into the car.

Xavier ducks around the car and hops into the drivers seat, starting the car and quickly reversing it down the driveway, making his way to the clubhouse.

The boys are chatting away in the back to Mae when Xavier asks me "How was your day?" I figure that I need to discuss it with him but here in the car is probably not the best place.

"It was interesting and we need to chat about it in private." I respond, to which encourages Xavier begins to wiggle his eyebrows at me. I just give him a confused look cause I can not work out how he thought I meant that  we needed to go somewhere private to mess around. I start to wonder what this guy is thinking.

Arriving at the club, we hop out of the car and grab all the food from the back to take into the kitchen while the boys tear off to the garden where they can see some of their friends from school.

Ryker comes out towards us and asks Xavier if he can go and see Cole who is trying to sort out some issues in the office. Xavier moves towards me "Will you guys be ok? I need to go and sort something out."

"Don't worry, I'll help them out." Ryker says as he moves towards the back of the van and pulls his sleeves up.

I nod and say "That we have got this" as Xavier leans down to give me a quick peck on the lips as he makes his way into the clubhouse.

Ryker grabs the bulk of the trays as Mae grabs the rest and I shut the back of the van, following them both in to the clubhouse towards the kitchen.

I can hear Bernice laughing from the door as we all walk in to see Ryker trying to fit all the trays on the the bench at the same time. I rush over to try and grab a few that seem to look like slipping off the edge.

Bernice gasps as she sees me "Well as I live and breath, how long were you going to make me wait before you came and saw me child?" She rushes over and pulls me into a hug.

For such a small woman, she has quite a strong hold when it comes to giving someone a hug. I try and move but realise that there is no hope in trying until she is finished.

"I didn't meant to take so long, there has just been a lot happening at the moment that I haven't really had to chance to catch up with everyone." I reply as she lets me go and holds my arms out so that she can get a good look at me.

Smiling she says "Oh wow, you were always beautiful but wow Amelia, you have grown up so much. Now where are those delicious little men?" She has a look in her eyes as she darts around, looking for my boys.

I point towards the yard where I can see my two muppets running around and laughing with the other kids and she makes her way out into the yard.

I lean on the bench and watch how everyone is interacting. There is a buzz in the air and as I look out over the yard from the window I can see so many people from my past. Some notice me looking and give a friendly wave, to which I wave back.

Blaze and Ariel are sitting on the love-seats opposite the window and seem to be deep in discussion. I see that Slater is working the BBQ and chatting with a group of prospects while Carrie brings him over a drink. I hear kids laughing and I look over to where the boys are to see that Sebastien is getting a 'Mumma Special' which involved Bernice slapping kisses on any parts of you that she can get too.

"Grubs up" Slater yells out and everyone shuffles towards the kitchen to grab the plates and gear to start dishing out food. Looking around, I grab some plates and make my way outside to gather the boys and join the line up for food.

"Wow mum, this is so much food" William said as he looked over the tables. The boys start pointing towards all the different types of foods that they would like on their plates while we shuffle along towards the BBQ.

Slater laughs when he sees how full their plates are. "Where do you boys expect me to put the meat?" He says as he holds up some sausages. William quickly grabs a spare plate and holds it up for Slater to place them on.

The boys thank Slater and then we make our way over to a table where Ariel, Carrie & Mia are sitting, they shuffle so that the boys can sit down while I go back and grab my food.

Standing in line, I slip back to watching everyone and thinking about the times when I was younger and how much I felt at home with all these people, they were like one big family. The boys are laughing at something that Ariel has said to them as I see Blaze reaching over Sebastien to help cut up his meal.

I begin to internally curse myself for not bringing the boys back here a lot earlier but life was so busy back then, well actually it was so busy for me back then, that had time just flying by. I know Elliot was not really forward on us travelling to see our families, he didn't get on with the only family he had left but I am glad that we are here now as I can see how well they are adjusting to everything.

I grab my food and make my way back to the table to join everyone.