Shining Star

"You're still going with me, right?" I asked Brandon while taking rollers out of my head.

"Yeah. I said I was going." He said still not moving.

"We have to leave soon the party starts at seven." Sitting at my vanity I peered at him through the mirror.

"Unlike you, it doesn't take me ten years to get dressed." He got up and got in the shower.

We were running behind because I had gotten makeup on my white top and I had to change my whole outfit. To top it off we got stopped by a train. I hated being late, but I was sure my staff knew what to do in my absence.

"You should've just let me drive, Camille. I told you not to come this way." Bran scrolled through his phone checking emails.

"Shut up. I'm not in the mood." I looked straight ahead, irritated.

"I'm not sure who you think you're talking to, but you might want to check that attitude."

"You're the only other person in this car." I said under my breath.

"What was that?" He asked arching his brow at me.

"Nothing."

I wasn't sure why I was picking. He wasn't being any type of way with me. I was just irritated and was taking it out on him. He wasn't being abusive again, but Brandon could be very aggressive. I wasn't worried about it though. When we finally arrived to the venue plenty of guests were in attendance with the exception of this grand entrance that Dot wanted for him. I wasn't supposed to be working, but I was in my element and couldn't help it. I was fixing things and giving directions to staff who ignored me as if I was a random guest telling them what to do.

The lights were turned down and it was time for Tim to come in. For whatever reason at the last minute Dot wanted me to do the introduction after everyone said "Surprise". I thought it was weird because she could have had the DJ or the lead singer in the band do it. He was lead in by Dot with a hat over his face kind of concealing his identity. Bran was in the mix of the crowd because he had ran into some people he knew. I was on the stage with the microphone when it happened. She removed the blindfold and tilted his hat up.

"Surprise!" Everyone yelled and clapped while he hugged and kissed Dot and who I assumed were his kids.

"Okay. Come on, y'all give it up for Tim! Happy Birthday!" I said and froze when he turned around.

So many people came up to him that I couldn't get to him to make sure I wasn't seeing things. I was off of the stage and pushing my way through people to get to him. I was sure that, that wasn't the Tim I though it was. When I finally got close enough I tapped his shoulder and he turned around and his smile disappeared and was replaced with a face of confusion. My dropped into my stomach. I was looking into the face of a man I thought I would never see again.

"Star? Is that you Camille?" He asked looking from his wife to me.

"Daddy?" I questioned. I couldn't move because I had so many emotions going through me.

"Baby girl." He grabbed me in a hug as tears fell down my face.

At first I didn't respond, but I hugged him back. Thinking that even if it was a dream, I'd live in that moment until it was taken away. It had been about ten years or so since I had seen him, but I'd never forget he looked like. He even smelled the same, he had on the same cologne he wore when I was a little girl.

"Daddy." I cried hugging him tightly. I closed my eyes as he rubbed my back.

I didn't open them until I heard The Manhattans song being sung and I saw everyone had crowded around us in a circle.