Daddy Daughter Time

"Why didn't you come back?" I asked my father.

We finally had time to sit down and talk about everything that happened. I was looking for answers and I knew he had them. It was just the two of us with no distractions. I wanted our reunion to be smooth, but I knew it was going to be anything, but that.

"I did. I came back multiple times, but that bi-" he shook his head. "I'm sorry. Cat wouldn't let me see you or talk to you." He said with his head down.

"Why didn't you come back for me, daddy? You left me in hell!" I shook my head not wanting to cry.

"I tried. Every time I came or called she told me you didn't want to talk to me, that you didn't need me. I know the drugs had me in whole different place, but I never stopped loving you or Justyce."

"She pimped me." I whispered not even wanting to remember that part of my past.

"What? What'd you say?" He asked with anger and confusion written all over his face.

"She pimped me out. Her and General and sometimes she would-she not only watched men rape me, sometimes she joined in. My first sexual encounter was with my mother." I said looking straight ahead at nothing in particular.

It was a hard conversation and I didn't want to relive the past, but not having closure was apart of the root of some of my issues. I had always been a daddy's girl and for him to leave and not come back hurt a lot. I always thought it was something I did. I knew drugs played a factor, but he always came home to me. Even when he ignored Cat he would talk to me. Justyce loved him and he loved her, but she was more so a mama's girl.

He put his head down and pinched the bridge of his nose. He ran his hand down his face and sighed. I knew it was heavy on him, but that was reality. He ran his hand down his face and looked up at me as if he was trying take away all of the pain that I've ever endured in my life.

"I'm sorry. I know sorry doesn't make it right and I know sorry doesn't erase what happened. Every time I came back it was something. I never missed your birthday or Christmas. Even if it was just a card I wanted you to know that I loved you."

"I never got anything from you. I would ask if you called or came by everyday until we moved. I thought you didn't love me anymore." I confessed crying.

"The last time I came to the house was your sixteenth birthday. I had been clean for about six weeks and had been doing odd jobs for an older woman I met. I told her my story and asked for an advance pay. She gave it to me and went and got you a necklace. It wasn't much, but I wanted to give you something special. It was sterling silver with five-"

"Five stars on it? Tuh!" I let out a dry laugh. "I never got it. Cat wore that necklace everyday. She said she it was gift to remind us that she was the star in our lives."

"She was sick. I know it was wrong, but when I saw on the news that she had been killed I felt a tinge of happiness. She was jealous of you, even when you were a baby."

"What kind of mother is jealous of her own child? What could I have done to make her hate me so much?"

"You had my attention. She didn't like our daddy daughter days. When she found out Justyce was having too much fun she stopped her from going. You cried a lot as a baby and I thought I was doing the right thing by getting up with you. I would get you and we'd go sleep on the sofa. She had you most of the day so I wanted to give her a break. She twisted it all up and said I loved you more than I loved her." He shook
his head.

"Is that why I was always sent to Nana's before she died?" I asked and he confirmed. "Is that why she treated me so bad?"

"And the fact that you carried yourself well. You were always mature for your age. She didn't like that strived for excellence and perfection. It was like she was in competition with you. The only way she knew to beat you was to tear you down."

"Once you were gone she took every once of will power and self love I had. She took me out of my singing lessons. She wouldn't let me participate in the chorale anymore. It's like she wanted to silence my song."

"When I left the house that day after she snatched the gift from me her words haunted me. She said, 'She doesn't need or want a junkie for a daddy'. You were like the only hope I had left and once she took that away I felt like I had no reason to live. I nearly smoked myself to death that night and I would've died if Dot hadn't found me. She loved me through it. Eventually we got together, got married and had the boys."

"When did you and mama get a divorce?" I asked because no one ever mentioned it.

"A year after your sixteenth birthday. Im sorry I wasn't there then, but I'm here now. If you'll let me I want to be here now."

I bit my lip and nodded my head. "I still need you. So much has happened, but I want you to be there for everything else. I'm sure Justyce would love to hear from you too. You have four grandchildren. I have two and Jus has two."

"Really?" He smiled and I got up to show him pictures. "So where's your baby?" He asked causing my smile to fade.

"She died." A tear slipped from my eyes and he moved over to hug me.

"I'm sorry, baby." His hug was different than any other hug I had in a while.

"I went to check on her and she wasn't breathing." I stopped and wiped my tears.

"We don't have to talk about it." He said when I heard the front door open and little foot steps running our way

"Mommy!" Pey came in running. "I missed you." She hugged my neck.

"I missed you, too." I gave her hugs and kisses.

"Hey. How's it going?" Bran came in looking like Peyton wore him out.

"Good. It's going good." I nodded.

"Hi! My name is Peyton Camille Jones-Grant. Who are you?" Peyton looked at my dad.

"Well, Peyton Camille Jones Grant, I'm Timothy Louis Hampton, Jr." He smiled at her and stuck his hand out for her to take. She looked from his hand to Brandon.

"That's your granddad, Tink. It's okay." Bran nodded to her.

"I get a daddy, a Papa and a grandad?" She asked excited. "Can I hug him?"

"Yes." We all laughed as he did a magic trick for her by pulling quarters from his ear.

"Oh! I got all these monies. I have to save it to buy a new doll because Papa said no at the store." She put her head down and pouted.

"Here we go." Brandon said smirking. "We just got you a doll two weeks ago."

"She's lonely she needs a doll her age to play with." She explained to us and we tried not to laugh. "But I'll spend all my monies to make her happy, then I won't have any monies." She said sadly. That child was so extra and dramatic.

"I haven't had to buy a doll in a long time. If I go buy a doll can she be your dolls friend? That way you can save your money."

"Deal. Pinky promise you'll get her a friend?" She stuck her pinky up and he hooked it putting up his other pinky.

"Double pinky promise."

"So I can keep the monies?" She looked up at him.

"Yes, you can." He tapped her nose.

"Why didn't you give me a granddad a long time ago?" She asked me and walked out shaking her head.

"And it begins. She's cute, but don't her cuteness make you go broke." Bran sat on the chair next to the couch.

"That's what grandparents do. I'm new to this, but the rules are the same. You say 'no' and I say 'yes'."

We talked more and Dot and the boys came over for dinner. We had a nice time bonding and getting to know each other. I adored the boys and they took to Peyton immediately. We even FaceTimed Jus and her family. I was so happy that area of my life was coming together. I knew my dad and I had a ways to go, but some progress was better than no progress at all.

**************************************************
Next Chapter we get to see Jason and find out what our best friend Monique is up to. Lol. Don't forget to talk to me. Thanks for reading.