The Wait

"Braylon! Braylon, get back over here. Peyton, go get your brother." He was so curious and adventurous that it wasn't even funny. I guess that was my cute way of saying that was bad and sometimes hardheaded.

He looked so much like his father that it was scary. As much as I loved him it was sometimes hard to look at him and see those features staring me in the face. I sat there thinking about everything that brought me to this moment in my life. I wiped tears knowing that God always had a plan for me even though sometimes it wasn't what I thought it should have been.

"Come on guys, it's time to say goodbye."

Leaving was still the hardest part of the cemetery. It reminded me of the nights that I would come out here and read or just lay there a gaze at the stars or hold a concert all by myself.

"So what's for dinner, guys? No McDonald's." I said hearing them groan and make suck their teeth. "I can always make grilled cheese and tomato soup."

"Okay! Okay! How about nuggets?" Braylon said.

"Nobody wants nuggets, but you, stupid." Peyton said folding her arms.

"You need to apologize to your brother, little girl." I looked at her in the rearview mirror with a raised eyebrow.

"Yeah, stupid! 'Pologize!" He yelled at her.

"Hey! Stop calling each other stupid and you both need to apologize." I said. "Now!" I yelled after neither one of them said anything.

"Sorry." They mumbled together.

"For?"

"Calling you by anything other than your name."

"Good. Now how about Chinese? You guys think that's okay for tonight?"

"Can, I still get nuggets?" Braylon asked causing me to laugh and Peyton to sigh.

"Yes, baby. We can get you some chicken."

When we finally got home I saw that truck that longed to see in the driveway everyday. Once we got inside the kids got washed up for dinner. I was in the kitchen getting everything ready when I felt arms wrap around my waist.

"Hey, baby. How was it today?" He asked turning me so that I faced him.

"It was okay. It wasn't as hard as it's been. Having the kids with me helped a lot." I said laying my head on his chest.

"Good. I'm sorry I couldn't go. I literally just got in from the airport when you guys pulled up. My flight got delayed." He said reaching over me to get plates from the cabinet.

"It's okay. I know it wasn't on purpose." I kissed him and called the kids down for dinner.

"Daddy!" Bray ran to be picked up. "I missed you."

"I missed you too, man. Were you good?"

"Yes."

"No."

He and Peyton answered at the same time. I just shook my head. One day they will get along just fine.

"Who's saying grace?" I asked.

"Me!" Braylon raised his hand.

"Jesus thank you for this food. Thank you for not letting me fall at the secretary-"

"It's cemetery." Peyton interrupted.

"Thank you for daddy and mommy and Peyton. Jesus please fix her 'tude because it's ugggggly. Amen." He opens his eyes and said "Uh-oh." When he saw his dad's face.

"What do you need to do Braylon?"

"Sorry for saying your tude is ugly." He said and put his head down.

"You don't use prayer to embarrass people."

"Yes, sir."

"Pey, don't forget to call Morgan to being your leotards for your recital tomorrow."

"I already called, daddy has them in the car for me."

I was so thankful for my husband. It was truly a blessing to be married after everything that we had gone through. I look back and see how our lives kept us connected in the midst of everything.

"Is he still listening to that bible cd?" I asked Laughing.

"No, he's in bed now, but he'll start again tomorrow. He knows the rules. Five or fifteen there are rules and he's going to follow them."

"Thank you so much." I kissed him.

"When Brandon died I wasn't sure that I would even want to love another man that way again. I'm so happy that you showed me that my ability to die didn't end when his life did. I was so distraught that he took his last breath once it was found that he was indeed Braylon's father. It was like he waited just to hear those words. I wasn't even shocked to know that Jayson was the driver of the truck that rammed us. It's like I couldn't win for losing."

"Baby, we don't-"

"But you stepped in and you raised him as your own from the beginning. Everything was already complicated with Peyton, but you just fell in line with the rest of us. You waited patiently until I was ready to love and be loved and that makes me love you even more."

"Love is patient and I was willing to wait for you as long I needed to. Jacob waited, Job waited and so did I. You were definitely worth the wait." He kissed me and reached over me trying to reach for my jar.

"What you doing?" I asked smacking his hand.

"Reaching for heaven." He laughed.

"You remember that?" I laughed. "Hold on to that memory because I'm not sharing this Talenti, baby."

"Please?" He begged then held his mouth open.

"You're lucky I love you." I put the spoonful in his mouth. "Now go put this away."

He ran out trash down to the kitchen and came back turning the lights off and claiming in bed with me.

"Goodnight. I love you, Camille."

"Night. I love you, too, Xavier."

*********************************

Well loves that's it. It's a wrap. It's over. Lol. Thank you so much to each and everyone of you who put up with the drama, confusion, my long absences. I hope it was well worth it. That is all for Camille and the gang. She got her happy ending. Did you expect this ending? Tell me what you're thinking about everything! Thanks and I love you guys (there's nothing you can do about it. Lol) Thanks for reading! Peace, love and blessings.