Unexpected Overnight

I was determined to work up until the day I went into labor. Brandon wanted me to stay home as soon as he found out I was pregnant. I refused to sit at home all day, especially when we didn't have Peyton because I would have been bored out of mind.

"I need these tables covered and set as soon as possible. Khadijah I need you to move that vase over to the right so that its centered." I directed holding my back.

"Camille, you okay?" Khadijah asked looking up from what she was now doing.

"Yeah, yeah. I'm just a little tired. I'll be okay."

"You sure?" She arched an eyebrow looking concerned.

"Yes, Khadijah." I faintly smiled, rubbing my stomach.

We were setting up for this huge luncheon that was set up by a nonprofit to honor some kids who had major turn arounds. It was something new that they were trying to
recognize kids who were working for
change. I supported so I donated my services to help anyway I could. I even got Brandon's company to make a contribution towards the scholarships that they were giving away.

I sat on the stage watching everyone work. I wasn't even supposed to stay that long. Brandon left his phone at home that morning and I was taking it to him when I left there. Giving orders and corrections when needed. I walked over to the dessert bar to make sure that it was set up exactly how I wanted it. Half way there I felt a pain in my stomach that took my breath away and made me pause where I stood. Shannon ran over to me and pulled out a chair for me to sit down. I declined and walked back and forth.

"Are you going into labor, mama?" She asked as I closed my eyes and breathed through my mouth still pacing.

"No. It's Braxton Hicks. The doctor said that the contractions start in the stomach when it's false labor. I'll just walk for a bit and it'll be over soon."

"Want me to call Brandon?"

"No. Just go ahead and finish the dessert bar. I'll be fine, Shannon."

"Okay." She gave me an inside look and went back to work.

Once the contractions ended I went over to keep Khadijah from killing the caterer. If Khadijah was upset it was something serious. Once again a caterer overbooked and would be late setting up. I tried to utilize black owned businesses, but that didn't always work for me.

"Khadijah, I'll handle it. Just make sure each place setting has a menu." I told her we I held my head. I had started to feel a little lightheaded.

"Camille, are you okay?" Dave asked me. He was so nice, but his boss was a pain to work with.

"Camille, you look a little flushed." Khadijah said and I looked at her, but everything was blurry.

The next thing I knew everything was black and I was out. I woke up in the hospital with monitors attached to me with Shannon in a chair with her phone in her hand.

"Shannon, is my baby okay?" I asked. My hand went immediately to my stomach.

"Yeah. I'm going to go get a nurse or a doctor." She asked getting up.

"Did you call Brandon's office?" I asked before she left.

"Yeah. I'll be right back, Cam." She said leaving and coming back with a doctor.

"Mrs. Grant, I'm Dr. Mitchell. You had a fainting spell, which can be quite common in pregnancy. Your baby is fine, heart rate was a little low, but it's progressed since you've gotten here. You just have to be a little more careful."

"I will, I promise. So the baby's fine?"

"Yes, ma'am. Your blood pressure is a little high so we're going to monitor it until it decreases." She said writing some things on my chart.