Prologue

What exactly is a soulmate? The dictionary defines it as a person ideally suited to another. In other words, the one who is your perfect match. That for whatever reasons, the cosmos, fate, science or whatever you believe in, has decided that this person is the one you're supposed to be with. The idea of soulmates isn't new. It's something that has been around for generations. It was how love was found and families were built. How people found the one they were the happiest with, the one who made them smile brighter and laugh just a little bit louder.

How do you know you have a soulmate? At midnight on the person's 23rd birthday, a mark will appear somewhere on their body. It is a combination of the people who are meant to be together. While most commonly found in duos, there are a few groups of three, even four. Not a lot, but just enough to make life interesting. When the mark appears, it is a grey color, representing the soul feeling empty and lost without its mate. When skin-to-skin contact happens, the mark changes, the grey turning to a glossy black, reflecting the joining of the souls and the shine they add to each other's life. Cheesy right?

How do you find your soulmate? This is where it gets challenging, at least for some. There is no way to actually look for your soulmate unless you go around lifting up people's shirts, which is only going to get you arrested. There's no homing beacon that suddenly goes off when you're nearby, no flashing lights, no big sign that says "Here dummy! I'm your soulmate." We only wish it could be that easy. No. When the person is around you, you might feel a pull to them. At least that's what some people say, but who knows?

Does everyone get a soulmate? Unfortunately no. There are some that never receive a mark. It's not common, but it does happen. And for these people? Life is a little bit harder. They may eventually fall in love with someone else that doesn't have a mark or even someone who has been rejected by their soulmate, but the connection isn't the same. They are capable of living happy lives, full of love, along with those who are rejected. It's just a matter of finding the one who makes life meaningful. Essentially finding your soulmate who is not your soulmate.

What happens when you find your soulmate? Honestly? It all depends...