Chapter 7

Y/N woke up the next morning eager to see her mark. It was her 23rd birthday. She had been waiting for this day ever since her parents told her about the soulmate mark. She looked down at her hands and didn't see anything, but didn't panic. She knew that not all soulmate marks appeared on the wrist or arms. She went into the bathroom and stripped in front of the mirror. She looked carefully at her body, her heart dropping when she saw the familiar soulmate mark right above her heart...

Y/N left quickly took a shower then headed to the kitchen. Yoongi was already there, sitting at the island and drinking a cup of coffee. When she came in, Yoongi came up and gave her a huge hug.

"Happy birthday! Did you get your mark?" Yoongi asked pulling back, a smile on his face.

Y/N's face dropped at his question and her eyes filled up with tears.

"What's the matter?" Yoongi asked, concern on his face.

Y/N shook her head. "Uhh... I didn't get one," she whispered, the tears spilling over her cheeks.

Yoongi pulled her back into his arms. "Oh honey. I'm so sorry," he said.

Y/N shrugged. "I... I guess it's just not meant to be," she said, a sad smile on her pretty face. She forced a smile onto her face. "We better get ready for class."

Yoongi patted her back gently. "Why don't we skip today? We can stay here and watch movies, then go out for food later."

Y/N smiled at the sweet offer. "As nice as that would be, we have to get to class," she said, her voice breaking.

Yoongi pulled her close again. "It's okay honey. Let it out."

Y/N buried her face in his chest, sobbing out her broken heart. "Why did it have to be this way?" she asked. "Why me?"

Yoongi's heart squeezed at the sight of his heartbroken friend. "I don't know honey. I just don't know," he said softly.

*****

Jungkook was waiting outside the school when Yoongi and Y/N arrived a short while later. His chest tightened when he saw Yoongi's arm wrapped tightly around her shoulders. They didn't see him right away. Jungkook watched as Yoongi stopped her. He brushed her hair from her face and leaned down to press a kiss to her cheek.

"Hey Y/N!" Jungkook called. "Happy birthday!"

Y/N smiled at his greeting, but he noticed the smile didn't quite reach her eyes. "Thanks Jungkook," she replied.

Jungkook lifted his brows in confusion. She never called him Jungkook, only JK or Kookie. He reached out to hug her and was surprised when she dodged away from him. He kept the fake smile on his face and handed her a small box. She took it carefully from him and peeled off the wrapping paper to reveal a dark blue velvet jewelry box. Inside the box was a white gold necklace. It had a charm on it in the shape of a treble clef.

Y/N's eyes filled with tears at the beautiful necklace. She carefully lifted the necklace out of the box.

Jungkook went to take it. "Here. I'll put it on you," he said.

Y/N yanked her hand away before could touch her. "No it's okay. I can do it," she said.

Jungkook flinched at her behavior. Y/N was never so hesitant to let him touch her. They always hugged or held hands. "You okay?" he asked.

Y/N gave him a tight smile. "Of course. Why would you ask?" she said.

Jungkook shrugged. "Never mind. Let's see the soulmate mark," he said, changing the subject. He was surprised when her eyes filled with tears. He went to reach for her again, but she pulled away before he could take her in his arms and ran towards the entrance of the school.